Thread: New Glasses today - How do I determine nothing is wrong with the eyeglasses?

OptiBoard Novice

New Glasses today - How do I determine nothing is wrong with the eyeglasses?

Hi Everyone,

I just picked up my first new pair of eyeglasses to replace my 15 year old glasses. I am very myopic and my vision went from about -12 to -16 in 15 years. I'm normally a contact lens wearer but decided to get a nice pair of glasses. Naturally, I purchased frames with a 1.74 high index lenses (essilor) and in the frame (42mm diameter), they look pretty good!

Now, I have some questions/possible problems which I also asked the guy in the store dispensing and of course he said just wear them a few days and see what happens. After dropping nearly $600 I want things to be right!!

1) As soon I put on the glasses, things didn't seem quite right. Compared to my old glasses, things were sharper, however, I also noticed some more distortion and light abberrations (maybe this is just the nature of the lens and abbe value).

2) My eyes seems to strain a little more. As soon as I put my old glasses on, they relaxed again.

3) Movement is kind of jarring and takes my eyes/brain to get used to... get slight headache due to strain.

4) I noticed with the glasses sitting right on the bridge of my nose, my eyes had a some trouble focussing on the subject in front of me. As soon as I pull the glasses about an inch away from my eyes, things get much sharper and the distortion decreases... also eyes feel more relaxed and less strained. Is this a sign that the glasses are too strong?

5) When I switch back to my old glasses, vision seems to be worse than before.

6) After wearing the glasses all day today, I seemed to adjust a little better, but there is still a nagging feeling that something is not right.

I don't want my eyes to adjust to a wrong prescription and have my eyes get worse. Am I being paranoid? Do I need more time to adjust?

Thanks so much for your response!!

George

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you have concerns about your eyewear, you need to return to the ECP who provided them.

Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed.

Thread Information