Thread: I'm new here and I'm not takin' nothin from nobody!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'm new here and I'm not takin' nothin from nobody!

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a rash of newbie posters (under 20 posts) that seem overly confrontational - especially when reminded by the moderators as to the rules.

I just had to ask...

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Seems like it.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Confused And I thought it was just me. . .

but when you combine that with the newbies from overseas it makes you wonder. Not the folks from the UK, but the little guy from Turkey and the Stone Age Guy from where ever he was from.

Alright then, just because I'm old and cynical doesn't automatically make me crazy! That's always a good thing to know!! :D :hammer: :D
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I am a firm believer that most of them (not all of them) are nuts, and are on here, because they are too nuts to ever be satisfied.

Then there are the cases of the pure abuse by the dispenser. However, in many of those cases the customer was going cheap and we get what we pay for.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I get the feeling that most of them are kids,and like most kids, whinney.
    Paul:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm thinkin' most of them are one person...someone optical...just trying to push everybodies buttons. We look foolish trying to respond.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cant this be checked by the persons IP adress or something?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod
    I'm thinkin' most of them are one person...someone optical...just trying to push everybodies buttons. We look foolish trying to respond.
    Bingo! :)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

most of them are one person...someone optical

Quote Originally Posted by fjpod
    This happens on other subject forums too. We just have to smell the out and answer accordingly or not at all.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    That would be called "trolling".

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi! newbie poster here! Some of you might even consider me a kid ( i'm 22). You are entitled to your opions, I'm not trying to sway your judgement on that at all. Just want to ask you not to let a couple "nuts" ruin the rep for the rest of us who have just joined. I don't know why they are here. But I know why I am here. I'm guessing there is probably at least 1000 years of combined experience on here. I learned more from the dispensing tips than I did off the ABO exam or while I was being trained. The master optiboarders and the optiwizards on here are a melting pot of knowledge that most people can't find anywhere else. I have a lot of respect for this board and the people on it. I want to know everything I can because that will enable me to do my job better. I can't wait to have the kind of knowledge that you do. I just think that to some of you the future of the optical industry may look bleek and I just want to reassure you that the "nuts" and the " whiney kids" aren't going to be the ones taking your place. It's going to be people who will be as knowledgable and dedicated as yourselves. Here's a little ray of hope for ya: I know what a pin/safety bevel is and I put one on every lens I have ever edged. :D

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper I put one on every lens I have ever edged.....................

Quote Originally Posted by rent4711
    Hi! newbie poster here! Some of you might even consider me a kid ( i'm 22). You are entitled to your opions, ......................................... Here's a little ray of hope for ya: I know what a pin/safety bevel is and I put one on every lens I have ever edged. :D
    Looks like you'r a slightly different newbie....................if you are edging lenses, even with a safety bevel.................you are an optical guy that is always welcome by the elite of old geezers.

When you are going to hit the age of +2.00 to +2.50 addition you will for sure know how to bevel a lens or how to sell some automatic adjustable computerized progressive lenses or bifocals.

:cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rent, you are different than a lot of the other "newbies" on here. I think the ones that bother me the most are the ones that start 10 threads at the same time and the questions can usually be answered by looking over past posts. That's where I wonder if it's someone is just pulling our leg.

Welcome to Optiboard and good luck on your higher learning!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Something that's been bothering me is, the board administrators have been cracking down a lot harder on inappropriate consumer questions right about at the same time that you start seeing an increase in beginning optician questions. A lot of those consumers know enough that they could pass themselves off as a "new" optician. How are we to know the difference? They could be asking about their "patients" when in reality they're talking about their own personal situation!

Of course, on the other hand, there has also been discussion on how the optiboard wants to be more welcoming of more inexperienced opticians. It could be that the "newbies" are feeling comfortable enough now to speak up more than they did before.

I don't know. It could be one or the other
    It's like being a travel agent... I help people see the world!

Thread Information