Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Lost Art of the Pin Bevel?

Bad address email on file pbsE46's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by loncoa
    Today's business owners want none of this "skill" crap (at least most don't). It costs money.
    It doesn't cost anything, really, to just do what's right. The time it takes to put a safety bevel on a lens is what... maybe 10 seconds ( on an easy job), and you can't tell me you can break that down to where it makes any financal difference.

To me the "skill" crap you speak of make all the difference. This is what seperates us from the places that don't understand what craftsmanship is all about. This is what brings our customers back, regardless if we are in private practice or a chain enviornment. There is no way to replace skill, either you have it or you don't. Granted, I can teach what I know to a rookie, or somebody who thinks they know what they're doing, but you can't make them understand. Skill is what it's all about. Anybody can make/sell a pair of glasses, but ultimatley when you, the Optician, checks in the work.... do you know what it takes to make the glasses look and preform, are you able to do the little things that make the difference?

So the real question is what is skill. Is it just knowing what the basics are, or is it knowing more than that? This is the real question.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Kapa edger from Essilor does the best job on lens polishing and pin bevel. For most of time, I believe in investment on good quality and expensive equipment is much more worth it vs costly emotional human labor!

Bad address email on file pbsE46's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by JERRY HUANG
    Kapa edger from Essilor does the best job on lens polishing and pin bevel. For most of time, I believe in investment on good quality and expensive equipment is much more worth it vs costly emotional human labor!
    It goes much futher than just pushing a button on a modern day edger. We're talking about real knowledge here... real skills. Things that no machine can ever reproduce. This is the difference between Opticianry and somebody who sells glasses but doesn't know how to keep them on the patients face, for example. Also, an edger doesn't have the human touch. It can't adjust glasses. Running an edger is just part of the over all equation.

Thread Information