Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California Licensed State in 2007?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist

California Licensed State in 2007?

I was told CA is going to require licenses starting in 2007. Any truth or even rumour to this?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

California.....

.....is currently licensed, but it is minimal at best.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe California requires you to be licensed if you are operating independently. If you are employed under someone else who is licensed (such as a doctor or medical group) you are not required to have your own licence. I haven't heard about anything in 2007.
    It's like being a travel agent... I help people see the world!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Of course, that is obvious........

......there is no license required to function in ANY state if you are working under a doctor's supervision, which is a problem unto itself. I am addressing the professional requirements to be an Optician, not an assistant or technician. California is a licensed state for Opticians. In many licensed states, Optician is a title one cannot use without a license, although the law is rarely enforced. I think there should be a requirement that any office that has an optical dispensary should be required to have an Optician appropriately licensed in the jurisdiction in which they are located.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm sure Vicente Fox will be happy to issuse license for everything after the next election.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    I'm sure Vicente Fox will be happy to issuse license for everything after the next election.
    Chip, I'm confused.

I was told that re-election for Senior Fox is not possible under the Constitution of Mexico... hummm.....

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Oh, you wouldn't like that at all. Who would you red-staters leech federal tax dollars from [PDF link, see page 2] if we weren't around?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald
    ......there is no license required to function in ANY state if you are working under a doctor's supervision, ...
    mmmmhh, not exactly true. It is illegal in NY, and I believe, NJ for anyone unlicensed to measure a PD, seg height, or physically dispense a pair of glasses, and CLs for that matter. I'm not saying it isn't done, but it is illegal.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    California had a registration program, but if I recall it wasn't really a "license" in the same sense that some states have. Of course, it's been a while since I've lived there, so I may have forgotten...
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

They used to license you. . .

to a location. The rules when I was there were that you had to have 3 affidavits. 2 from OD's & 1 from an OMD stating that you'd been doing it for X number of years. Those affidavits on file with the Board of Medical Quality Assurance allowed you to apply for licensing to a location.

That allowed Rx's to be filled and product to be dispensed, but you had to be on the premises. My boss used to buy my lunch on the condition I ate it in my office.

If you quit and went to another location they charged you $150.00 everytime you moved.

It sounds like they've become more liberal. I worked there during the Regan years when there actually was a surplus and there were state inspectors that showed up in your store.
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

As of when........?

Quote Originally Posted by fjpod
    mmmmhh, not exactly true. It is illegal in NY, and I believe, NJ for anyone unlicensed to measure a PD, seg height, or physically dispense a pair of glasses, and CLs for that matter. I'm not saying it isn't done, but it is illegal.
    I have spent a great deal of time in both states, and have seen many assistant and technicians do those tasks. I would be surprised, but pleased if that is the case.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In California the location is licensed as described by Framebender. An ABO certified optician must be on the premises at all times.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

In California a typical dispensary can have up to three "licenses" (a misnomer, as you are actually "registered", not "licensed"):

RDO: Stands for Registered Dispensing Optician, and "licenses" the location. You don't have to be an optician to obtain an RDO.

RSLD: Registered Spectacle Lens Dispenser- A dispensing optician. According to CA law, you can only be an RSLD if you're working for an RDO; it is not valid if you work for an O.D. or M.D., although the state does not seem to enforce this provision. Requirements for RSLD is simple: You must pass the ABO. There are no continuing education requirements and if you renew your license when due there is no need to re- take the ABO. In other words, once you pass the ABO and if you pay the license fees on time, you're registered for life. All non- doctor dispensaries in CA must have an RSLD on staff; the law permits "reasonable" time away from the dispensary for an RSLD such as lunch breaks, illness and vacation.

RCLD: Registered Contact Lens Dispenser. An optician who may "fill" a written Rx for contact lenses. "All necessary tests and procedures" are included in this "license": keratometry, use of slit lamp, fluorescein , etc. The rest of the regs are just like the RSLD, except you must pass the NCLE as opposed to the ABO.

California got away from the "get 3 doctors to lie" RDO registration some years ago. First came the RCLD laws, as optometry was claiming that the old RDO law was actually permitting practicing optometry without a license. This new law legitimized an optician who fit contact lenses.

A year or so later the RSLD laws went into effect. One of the reasons for the new RSLD law was that licensed opticians were hard to come by: The optician supposedly had a minimum of 5 years experience. Some of the optical chains in CA were having trouble finding store managers and dispensing opticians were getting expensive. Hence, the RSLD law.

All opticians who held the old RDO liscense were grandfathered in with the new RSLD "license", but you had to pass the NCLE in order to continue fitting contact lenses.

The RSLD and RCLD legislation was written and sponsored by the California Association of Dispensing Opticians.

Hope this clears up any questions re crazy CA laws- or did I just make things muddier?

Larry

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Wink Thanks Larry. . .

I understood that the laws had changed, but couldn't find out what they were. Not that I'm thinking about moving back to California any time soon. It is nice to know what the game is though!!:D
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Larry........Your quote "all opticians who held the old RDO license were grandfathered in" and did not need the new RSLD is how I recall it.
    Medical Eye Services insurance says I need a RSLD, I checked with the state board and they say yes a RSLD is needed. I think that is bunk. Any ideas how I can convince the state board?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you in business now? Do you have ABOC?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gvallejo View Post
    Hi Larry........Your quote "all opticians who held the old RDO license were grandfathered in" and did not need the new RSLD is how I recall it.
    Medical Eye Services insurance says I need a RSLD, I checked with the state board and they say yes a RSLD is needed. I think that is bunk. Any ideas how I can convince the state board?

Turns out you could be grandfathered in if you applied for a RDSL before Dec 1988!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    old, old, old thread alert... blow the dust off and drag out of the attic eh?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Very old, but curious. Is California unlicenced now?

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Folks.....this initial post is over 10 years old. I bet they have figured it out by now.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey , this thread has some merit. Gvallejo probably did a search regarding Ca licensing and this thread came up. He had a question about the law, so what's the big deal of bringing a thread back to life?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Their system only requires a fee be paid - but no CE is needed it seems. Toothless.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Their system only requires a fee be paid - but no CE is needed it seems. Toothless.
    Not so fast there, even granny takes a chomp out of a big 'ol prime rib around the holiday's. Don't underestimate the value of a good old fashion gumming.
    Last edited by Paul Smith LDO; 01-23-2015 at 06:08 PM.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Newguy

Thread Information