Thread: What does PSR stand for?

Occupation
    Optometrist

What does PSR stand for?

What does "PSR" mean as it pertains to scratch coats?

Thanks in advance.

-Steve

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Does it mean Plastic Scratch Resistant (as in a CR-39 scratch reistant coated lens)?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    That's what I was thinking. EyeMed lists a "PSR scratch coat" on it's benefits summaries but I'm guessing that's a cheap dip scratch coat, unlike a TD2 or Foundation XT, etc.

I'll call EyeMed tomorrow and ask them and post after I figure it out.

-Steve

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To the folks at Lux, a factory coated lens, is what they refer to as PSR. Think super shield or something similar. Not the TD2 or other "tougher" applied scratch coatings.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster
    That's what I was thinking. EyeMed lists a "PSR scratch coat" on it's benefits summaries but I'm guessing that's a cheap dip scratch coat, unlike a TD2 or Foundation XT, etc.

I'll call EyeMed tomorrow and ask them and post after I figure it out.

-Steve
    Per EyeMed PSR= "Pretty SHI%@Y Reimbursement" :shiner:

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

If its the same as it used to be. . .

PSR is the factory scratch - non warranted. TD2 was 80% of usual and customary. That's been awhile ago!!

Where's the prarie doggin' lady?!? Does this ever go away?? Will I wake up some morning and not remember stuff like this? :hammer:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Please read....everyone...

It probably is the scratch coat. Keep in mind that the bigger chain stores have names for different coatings, I'm not sure what psr stands for but it's probably some scratch coating. The chains have a lot of money to spend on marketing. So, when they sit around and talk about how to sell something like a scratch coat they either team up with a name that consumers recognize like Lens Crafters came out with Scotch Guard as their scratch coat, or they just make up a name, like Sterling Optical has Armor Guard. Either way it's a brand or a name that consumers can relate to. At least that's the thinking behind the name. I personally think that this thinking is somewhat flawed because in this day and age consumers are more aware of the options available to them when it comes to lenses. I think that patients are more appreciative of an Optician who explains the benefits of having a scratch coating than a Optician selling Scotch Guard or Armor Guard. I think that this mentality of having proprietary coatings comes from the big companies paying corporate people who have fancy degrees who went to business school and were taught that you have to have exclusive licensing agreements with companies or a unique name in order to make your product stand apart from the competition. I mean I understand this (and it makes sense with some things) but, I think that it is overdone with some of the bigger companies. I just think that something as simple as a scratch coat should just be sold as a scratch coat. I mean I just wonder what I would think if I were a person not in the business going into a chain store and some "Optician" was telling me that I should pay extra for a Scotch Guard scratch coating. I mean I don't think, in fact I know I'm not the only one that shops around so, I would probably end up at an independant, and they would undoubtedly explain that Scotch Guard or Armor Gaurd is just another name for a scratch coating. This would make me wonder about the rest of what the chain store "Optician" was trying to sell me, especially since a scratch resistant coating is usually applied to the lens that that consumer purchases whether they pay for it or not. I mean pretty much the only way you can get a lens without a scratch coat is if you get a CR-39 lens that is surfaced, or a stock lens that you order without a scratch coat. So, most jobs have a scratch coat whether the Opticians order it or not. Any lens with an AR coating has a "scratch coat" (from what I understand) because it's inherant in the coating process, so, it's either a good coating or it isn't. I can't even order a lens from my labs without a scratch coat unless it's Cr-39, every other material comes standard with a factory scratch coat, and the only reason that you don't have to get a scratch coat on Cr-39 is that it is the most scratch resistant material other than glass on the market, so (in my experiance) if you order CR-39 with a scratch coat it's actually more likely to scratch or have the coating peel than if you leave it uncoated. Now I know some of you will disagree with this but, it's just what I have seen in my experiance. So, I guess what I'm saying is that scratch coating in my opinion is just a waste of time for Opticians and a waste of money for the consumer. If you sell a scratch coating to a consumer they have the expectation that their lenses aren't going to scratch, which 9 time out of 10 is unrealistic, so, I just think that instead of selling something that is pretty much unnecessary, we should focus on selling stuff that is going to benifit the patient, like a AR coating like Crizal Alize that is not only very scratch resistant but is really going to benifit the patient. In the long run patients are going to come back to you because of you explaning to them that scratch resistant coating is pretty much unnecessary and not worth the $20 that you would charge them to apply it, and that they would benifit much more from this new AR coting that not only reduces glare but is super smudge/scratch resistant and is much easier to clean than the last AR coating that they had. Just remeber fellow Opticians your patients aren't stupid (at least not all of them) and they trust what you tell them, most of the time they look to you to inform them about what they should have on their lenses so, use that chance to educate the patient this way the next time they (or someone they know) needs a new pair of glasses they'll think "hey, Joe Optician told me about this great new coating, let me go talk to him or her about a new pair. You would be amazed, how many people come back to me year after year because I don't try to sell them something they don't need, or because I solved some issue that they had. Customer service starts with treating people like customers instead of like someone that is coming into your store to buy something and then go away never to be heard from again. If you remember a patients name 6 months after you sell them a pair of glasses when thry come in for new nose pads, you can bet that they'll be back the next time they need glasses, and that's whether you take their insurance or not. If you give stellar customer service and treat the customer like a patient they will come back to you the Optician because you are good at what you do and you because you are honest with them. People do come to Opticals just for the Optician not the doctor or the insurance plan, but you have to br the best that you can be. Don't look at people as $400 sale, instead look at people as $4000 over the next 7-10 years and all of their family members and friends that they refer because of your service and expertice. Sorry......I have never went off on this long of a tangent, just got gonig and wanted to say some things that are always on my mind but never say. I really believe what I'm saying whole heartedly, I hope other people agree with me, or at least listen to what I'm saying, I really think that some Opticians especially the ones working for larger companies (but not eclusively) get caught up in trying to do things the "corporate way" and forget or never realize that this business is more than just retail, and get caught up in the sell,sell,sell mode without thinking about what keeps people happy and coming back for more. The next time your selling a pair of glasses just relax and make a real effort to find out what the patient needs and try to educate them then offer the different coatings or whatever they seem interested in and let them make an informed decision about what they want. Believe me they'll buy the AR coating if you can explain the benifits, and if they don't wan't to spend the money, then don't push them, they'll be back next time. That's it I'm done!:cheers:

I'm sorry, it was a weird day. I've never written such a long unorganized post. But, I meant every word.
    Last edited by High_Abbe; 03-25-2006 at 10:22 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by PAkev
    Per EyeMed PSR= "Pretty SHI%@Y Reimbursement" :shiner:
    Somehow I knew EyeMed-bashing would come up.

At least they let us use our own lab though, unlike the other giant.

Again, I'll call provider relations and talk to them later today.

-Steve

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Scotch Guard is actually the name of their Hydrophobic/Oliophobic AR..compared to their regular a/r lens.

Every lens at the crafters is scratch resistant. If you don't want to pay the copay for this, then you can wait for them to order the lenses in.

As for scratch resistant coatings...

For some people, especially children, it is better to apply a tougher coat than to use the standard factory coat.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Optometrist
    OK, after talking to three people at EyeMed, "PSR scratch coating" refers to a single-sided factory scratch coat.

TD2 or Foundation XT would be an upgrade, as I though.

-Steve

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    High Abbe:

Your post said "Please read"

I tried...I really did.

This might help.

http://www2.actden.com/Writ_Den/tips/paragrap/index.htm

Just trying to help.

Johns

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    idunnoitseemedokaytomebutwhatdoiknowanyway

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I used to think that James Joyce was a hard read ...

nsofar as one can define existentialism, it is a movement from the abstract and the general to the particular and the concrete ... http://mythosandlogos.com/

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The original intent of my post was actually to get WAY off-topic so we could all work on enhancing our writing skills.

You can't possibly understand how hard it was to find an optical topic that would actually lead to this!

-Steve

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    High Abbe:

Your post said "Please read"

I tried...I really did.

This might help.

http://www2.actden.com/Writ_Den/tips/paragrap/index.htm

Just trying to help.

Johns
    I tried too, it was just really really really long. I got the point though.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster
    OK, after talking to three people at EyeMed, "PSR scratch coating" refers to a single-sided factory scratch coat.

TD2 or Foundation XT would be an upgrade, as I though.

-Steve
    I agree...

Isn't it a beautiful thing ?:D

Thread Information