Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Civil discussion about abortion

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Civil discussion about abortion

Currently, the abortion debate has no middle ground. Could it be possible to have a "system" where the Pro-choice and Pro-life factions are both satisfied?

If elected King of the World, this is how I would propose resolving the abortion issue.

1. Provide free condoms for anyone who wants them. These can be provided by anti-abortion Non-Governmental Organizations.
    2. Allow first and second term abortions, virtually unrestricted. Folks need to make a decision in a timely fashion.
    3. Make pregnancy care free to everyone, including prenatal healthcare, medication and vitamins, and food and board, where necessary. Anti-abortion Non-Governmental Organizations can cover this expense.
    4. Reduce red tape for adoptions, except parent qualifications.
    5. Subsidize the cost of raising a child, by A-A NGOs.
    6. Educate teenagers about sex. Pro-choice Non-Governmental Organizations can cover this expense.
    7. Eliminate negative connotations about premarital pregnancy.
    I’d try an approach than would aim to prevent unwanted pregnancies, reduce the penalty for carrying a fetus to full term, ease the financial burden of raising a child, and encourage someone other than the parent(s) to raise a child that was carried full term instead of being aborted.

Would this strategy satisfy both sides?

Please provide constructive criticism of this plan, any ideas will be appreciated- please don't bother posting "it just won't work". The King of the World election is coming up soon, and I need to get my platform finalized!
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Thoughtful post Spexie, I like how you laid it all out and explained things.

While the folks at Planned Parenthood may have some of the funds to offset some of the programs you suggested, I don't think there is an anti-abortion group well funded enough to subsidize any of those programs-I would suggest churches but that might cause it's own set of issues.

And there is still that pesky issue of when life begins which is really sort of ground zero for the difference of opinion. It is my personal opinion that will always be the problem in getting both sides to be "satisfied"

So you are running under the "King of the World" platform? I am going for the "Supreme Dictator" platform myself....
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by karen
    Thoughtful post Spexie, I like how you laid it all out and explained things.

While the folks at Planned Parenthood may have some of the funds to offset some of the programs you suggested, I don't think there is an anti-abortion group well funded enough to subsidize any of those programs-I would suggest churches but that might cause it's own set of issues.
    If anti-abortion organizations stopped the expenses needed for all their other "programs" (printing leaflets, etc), there would be more cash for constructive issues.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I think parental notification and spousal notification are reasonable, and I think there should be negative connotations about teenage pregnancy--breaking that cycle should be a major goal of gov't, religion, private orgs.

Also, make the morning after pill available and affordable.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I concider abortion to be murdering your own child.

However if abortion is to be allowed it should be with a manditory complimentary sterilization.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson

However if abortion is to be allowed it should be with a manditory complimentary sterilization.

Chip
    ..seems like an odd sort of compliment.

Sorry, couldn't resist!:bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Life

Chip
    I believe that life begins at conception, as well.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane
    I believe that life begins at conception, as well.

Diane
    Thank you for your input. Some people believe the Sabbath is on Friday. Enough said.

Now. What constructive input do you and Chip have for my plan? Do you think it would reduce abortions? Are you willing to compromise at all? Do you think your position of "I believe that life begins at conception" has worked to reduce the number of abortions?
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chip
    Chip, do you remember your own words?
    You sho' seem to love stone throwing.
    "Judge not, lest ye be judged."
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I believe life begins at conception....

Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    Are you willing to compromise at all? Do you think your position of "I believe that life begins at conception" has worked to reduce the number of abortions?
    No compromise. I can think of a few (some that would have been aborted, that are particularly grateful) that are here because of this belief. Since the conversation would become debate, ie argument, I don't know how much I would offer, but believe that if I don't share this particular belief, I would not be honest. I don't judge others, but disagree with the act.

Diane
    Last edited by Diane; 03-22-2006 at 09:03 PM.
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Thank you for your input. Some people believe the Sabbath is on Friday. Enough said.

Now. What constructive input do you and Chip have for my plan? Do you think it would reduce abortions? Are you willing to compromise at all? Do you think your position of "I believe that life begins at conception" has worked to reduce the number of abortions?
    As KotW, would you be willing to allow things like slavery, genocide and say, ritual genital mutilation in a few cases if it would lower the overall occurence - or is there no room for compromise? 'Nuff said.
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear brighter before you hear them speak.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    After the fall out from my last post I am leery about this one, but I must. Watching the news and reading the paper and seeing the destruction the human race has brought apond itself from parents on babies, children on parents and just person apond person, is it any wonder why we are like this when we treat the youngest and most vulnable of ourselves in they way we do.

The one place our babies should be safe is in the mother's womb.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Sabbath is actually sundown Friday til Sundown Saturday.
    I have always been amazed at the powers that moved the Sabath to Sunday. The audacity of changing something that was written by the Hand of God!

Chip

And before you ask, I attend Church on Sunday and work most Saturdays.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 03-22-2006 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Clarity

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    If anti-abortion organizations stopped the expenses needed for all their other "programs" (printing leaflets, etc), there would be more cash for constructive issues.

So this is what you meant by a "civil" discussion of abortion? That's interesting- as is your division of the expenses (pro-choice funds, and I would assume therefore determines the content of sex education... pro-life funds the results when this education fails to produce good choices- i.e., abstinence- which is the only 100% solution for avoiding unwanted pregnancies or STDs out of marriage).

The debate surrounding abortion is best described as an "absolute conflict." That is, by definition there is no compromise that will appease both sides, because their views are in absolute opposition. A similar situation exists between Israel and its neighbors.

Pro-life supporters believe life begins at conception- meaning the baby has a right to life. Pro-choice supporters either believe that life does not begin until emergence from the womb- or they hold that life begins at some point in the womb, but the mother has a right to determine if the baby should live or not depending upon her own circumstances.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation

Mkay. If Planned Parenthood quit raking in the cash from performing so many abortions, they'd be in the same position as the anti abortion folks...and then both sides would be too broke to help. :hammer:

Ok, I belong to a few anti abortion organizations and we don't print leaflets so if that is all you think we do you are a bit misinformed-and as KOTW I expect better from you. We do save an occaisional baby and provide services for women that prefer other alternatives. We even have our own crisis pregnancy centers where you can see things like the stages of developement and get an ultrasound. There are adoption resources on site.

Now that you've got my back up shall we continue??
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Mkay. If Planned Parenthood quit raking in the cash from performing so many abortions, they'd be in the same position as the anti abortion folks...and then both sides would be too broke to help.
    Planned Parenthood, of course, is a non-profit organization.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin

That's interesting- as is your division of the expenses (pro-choice funds, and I would assume therefore determines the content of sex education... pro-life funds the results when this education fails to produce good choices- i.e.,
    I asked for constructive input. Do you want to make a recommendation, or just snipe at my plan? Since the anti-choice side is the one who wants women to have babies, it's only fitting that they take on more of the financial responsibilities of carrying, delivering, and raising them.

The conservative conundrum: do you spend your precious wealth to accomplish your morally superior goal?

abstinence- which is the only 100% solution for avoiding unwanted pregnancies or STDs out of marriage).
    I wasn't a virgin when I got married, were you?

The debate surrounding abortion is best described as an "absolute conflict." That is, by definition there is no compromise that will appease both sides, because their views are in absolute opposition. A similar situation exists between Israel and its neighbors.
    So we'll fight it out until one side is anhilated. That's better than compromise? The existing status quo is that the constitution protects the right of a woman to have an abortion. While the Supreme Court may overturn that, and later be overturned by a more reasonable, I mean a more liberal court;) , the anti-choice camp has much more to gain from my plan than the pro-choice camp does.

Pro-life supporters believe life begins at conception- meaning the baby has a right to life. Pro-choice supporters either believe that life does not begin until emergence from the womb- or they hold that life begins at some point in the womb, but the mother has a right to determine if the baby should live or not depending upon her own circumstances.
    I know. The main difference is that anti-choice people want to force an absolute on the other side (NO ABORTIONS), whereas pro-choice people want to give the freedom which allows pregnant women to make their own decision (NOT MAKING ABORTIONS MANDATORY).

So this is what you meant by a "civil" discussion of abortion?
    Sorry. It's a little frustrating to post

Please provide constructive criticism of this plan, any ideas will be appreciated- please don't bother posting "it just won't work"
    and get the "I don't believe in abortion" responses.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mkay. If Planned Parenthood quit raking in the cash from performing so many abortions, they'd be in the same position as the anti abortion folks...and then both sides would be too broke to help. :hammer:

Ok, I belong to a few anti abortion organizations and we don't print leaflets so if that is all you think we do you are a bit misinformed-and as KOTW I expect better from you. We do save an occaisional baby and provide services for women that prefer other alternatives. We even have our own crisis pregnancy centers where you can see things like the stages of developement and get an ultrasound. There are adoption resources on site.

Now that you've got my back up shall we continue??
    Do you want to suggest an alteration to my plan to the mighty KOTW? I'll listen, you know.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Do you want to suggest an alteration to my plan to the mighty KOTW? I'll listen, you know.

Ok, I'll bend my brain today as I drive around and see what I can come up with.....

P.S- we're not anti-choice. We just want ladies to make a different one. Does that make you pro-murder? (Sorry I know that was not nice but jeez....anti-choice????)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The point is this, if we continue to abort our babies, both sides will be annhilated.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just courious, but where in the U.S. Constitution does it make any reference to anyone's right to have an abortion? Don't tell me about Roe vs. Wade, show me something in the Constiution.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, I'll bend my brain today as I drive around and see what I can come up with.....

P.S- we're not anti-choice. We just want ladies to make a different one. Does that make you pro-murder? (Sorry I know that was not nice but jeez....anti-choice????)
    Then why do you want to remove a woman's abitlity to choose?

I am anti-abortion and pro-choice. Just because I don't want women to have an abortion doesn't mean I don't acknowledge that other people have a different opinion on the matter. As KOTW, my plan allows women the freedom to choose, but makes it easier for them to choose to carry full term and raise the child. Isn't that the same goal that you have? :cheers:
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Karenrp1956
    The point is this, if we continue to abort our babies, both sides will be annhilated.
    Are you saying that 100% of pregnancies are terminated?
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just courious, but where in the U.S. Constitution does it make any reference to anyone's right to have an abortion? Don't tell me about Roe vs. Wade, show me something in the Constiution.
    Roe V Wade settled that.
    ...Just ask me...

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The Lord's Day

The Sabbath was for the Jewish people under the law. Christ fullfilled the law and nailed it to the cross.
    Sunday is The Lord's Day, not the Sabbath.

Col 2:14
    14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; (KJV)

It must be understood of the ceremonial law, the hand-writing of ordinances, the ceremonial institutions or the law of commandments contained in ordinances <Eph. 2:15>, which was a yoke to the Jews and a partition-wall to the Gentiles. The Lord Jesus took it out of the way, nailed it to his cross; that is, disannulled the obligation of it, that all might see and be satisfied that it was no more binding. When the substance came, the shadows fled away. It is abolished <2 Cor. 3:13>, and that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away, <Heb. 8:13>. The expressions are in allusion to the ancient methods of cancelling a bond, either by crossing the writing or striking it through with a nail.

The Sabbath is actually sundown Friday til Sundown Saturday.
    I have always been amazed at the powers that moved the Sabath to Sunday. The audacity of changing something that was written by the Hand of God!

Chip

And before you ask, I attend Church on Sunday and work most Saturdays.

Thread Information