Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MAUI JIM...anything better on the market?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just put in the new Silhouette sun lens system and carry the Addidas line as well. I have had a great reaction with the new Silhouette suns as they break down into 4 catagories of lenses (Golf, Image, Driving, Water). At this point really trying the glasses on will be the best thing for you to do, lucky for you that yes there are improvements to the lenses now yet every manufacture has "proprietary" something or another so it can get a bit like apples to oranges. We all compare our reactions here and everyone has a different prefference. Doc still likes her Maui Jims the best,Addias is a second due to she can get several lenses for ski, bike, etc.

Looking at the activities you participate in you may want to look into a combination type sunglass where you can change out the lens to optimize each condition (Brown/Fishing & Driving, Grey/Water & Glare, etc.)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think it's safe to say that Maui Jim is in the top three or four, and that they are all too close to differentiate.

It's safe to say that there's "no better" than Maui Jim. (Maybe equal, though.)

OptiBoard Novice
    So, who would be in the top three or four? From a technical standpoint...
    -Richard W.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, there are even some with lenses that can stand saltwater without delaminateing (think of the concept, sunglasses that can't be exposed to saltwater, although it's probably not a problem in Kansas).

Chip

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

How many makers of Film

James Herman said:
    how many PVA film manufacturers there are currently? My sources say less than 10. Not sure if that is correct?
    I am not quite sure how many there are today but I know there are more than 10. The quality of a polarized lens is the sum of its components and the PVA film is just one. There are actually other methods to polarize beside PVA but PVA is by far the most popular. Once you have a flat sheet of PVA and you have a steep spherical curve you now have your first of many challenges to make a high quality polarized lens. The PVA polarized film must follow the curve of the lens.

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

keep it coming

Aside from absorbing certain wavelengths, and the quality of the PVA, What other methods are there to polarize light and increase acuity.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Mirror and AR coatings.

Wrap compensation/ prism.

Occupation
    A younger polarized lens with a mirror coating from opticote. Check out www.opticote.com

I consider this an alterntive to the MJ and prefer it do to the ability of controlling some of the processes in house. MJ does nothing special with their lenses that I know of and I was under the impression that they used younger lenses.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ive sold MJs for about 8 years. All three colors (grey, brown, maui rose) have great followings. Rx work is usually as good as non-rx. Some of my patients tried Tag Heuer Rx in different colors. They like the style of the Tags but swear the MJ lenses are superior.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    A younger polarized lens with a mirror coating from opticote. Check out www.opticote.com

I consider this an alterntive to the MJ and prefer it do to the ability of controlling some of the processes in house. MJ does nothing special with their lenses that I know of and I was under the impression that they used younger lenses.
    Harry,

I believe you may not understand the special and proprietary qualities of Maui Jim's lenses. Their's *is* a very special formulae...I believe from my own experience with my MJs...that they are definitely what MJ claims them to be...more color saturation and contrast.

However, their Rx work *still* leaves much to be desired. Their circumferential edging does not meet our in-office standards, requiring us to check, colmascope and correct many of their Rx jobs (and plano sunglasses, for that matter).

All of the above being said, I really like Essilor Lab's Flashback Polarized lenses. We properly wrap-compensate these, and put them in Ray ban and Oakley frames. The advantages:

1. Polarized
    2. Mirror (non-gradient)
    3. Alize/Cleargard rear surface
    4. TD2/Clearhsield
    3. Alize/on the front surface, over the mirror: This means the mirror DOES NOT RUB OFF..unlike Oakley's Iridium Rx lenses
    5. 2 year, multiple instance scratch warranty
    6. Life of the lens/same-Rx guarantee against adhesion failure

What could ensure client satisfaction more than these type of features/warranty...especially if you ask for the proper (read: BIG $$$) we do for these types of lenses

Barry Santini, ABOM
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 11-10-2006 at 07:36 AM. Reason: clarity

Occupation
    Our MJ rep also came in recently and told one of our staff members that they have a new proprietary AR coating with absolutely no risidual color. We called teh company and asked about it just to make sure it was not just our rep and the lady on the phone said you mena the invisible AR.

I think there is some hype behind their product. If you want more color saturation and contrast, tint a brown polarized lens slightly rose and see what you get. JMHO

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not sure why this thread from march showed back up, but for the record, any essilor lab can do a double gradient mirror like a MJ, but the MJ quality is the best I've seen. Plus, more to the origional question that started the thread, the folks who have improved on Maui Jim in the last ten years are Maui Jim! They're forever coming out with cool new styles and new lenses. Their latest release involved some sort of poly substitute (I don't remember all the details) that is a string mount rimless (three piece). Doc has a pair-loves them!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Our MJ rep also came in recently and told one of our staff members that they have a new proprietary AR coating with absolutely no risidual color. We called teh company and asked about it just to make sure it was not just our rep and the lady on the phone said you mena the invisible AR.

I think there is some hype behind their product. If you want more color saturation and contrast, tint a brown polarized lens slightly rose and see what you get. JMHO
    I've seen this coating through my consulting work with telescope & eyepiece companies..

It's *not* invisible...but closer to invisible than what we've seen so far

Barry
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 11-10-2006 at 07:32 AM. Reason: clarity

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    I've seen this coating through my consulting work with telescope & eyepiece companies..

It's *not* invisible...but closer to invisible than what we've seen so far

Barry
    They say invisible, not closer to invisible and that's the sales pitch.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, the one's I've seen are not invisible...

now to what I think is really happening here:

As seen from the back of the lens, the front surface reflection on these Maui Jim lenses probably overwhelms (via amplitiude) the residual reflection seen on the back. For the most part, the front & back reflections will *coincide* making it hard to *see* the backside AR, with the right angle, you probably will see it.

However, I will keep an open mind as to when I view these new coatings

Barry
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 11-11-2006 at 11:52 AM.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Ok, let me wrap my head around this. Maui Jim is selling a coating that you can't see? That's farkin' great marketing!

Oakley lawsuit impending

/no doubt

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Invisible AR?

I have not heard the Maui Jim sales pitch on this invisible AR. What do they say makes this a needed or desirable product?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH View Post
    I have not heard the Maui Jim sales pitch on this invisible AR. What do they say makes this a needed or desirable product?
    I can't tell you the number of times I've heard people complain about that "purple stuff" on the back of the lens, or call the lens "blue" because of the back AR. I have several pair of Mauis with different ARs, and they have gotten less apparent over time. The other benefit, if I'm not mistaken, of a less visible AR would be that fingerprints and eyebrow markings on the backside of their lenses would be less obvious.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Harry,

I believe you may not understand the special and proprietary qualities of Maui Jim's lenses. Their's *is* a very special formulae...I believe from my own experience with my MJs...that they are definitely what MJ claims them to be...more color saturation and contrast.
    Rather interesting since MJ poly lenses come directly from Younger Optics. MJ is Younger's largest client and even makes the Maui Rose in plano only just for MJ.

Thread Information