Thread: Progressive Addition Lens Fitting Procedure (An Instructional Video)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Progressive Addition Lens Fitting Procedure (An Instructional Video)

hi to OptiBoard friends!

i am so happy to finally find this site where you could exchange ideas regarding different optometric topics with the experts! this site is truly enriching!

my team of optometrists is trying to develop an instructional video on progressive addition lens (PAL) fitting procedure to be disseminated in our local community. our team's objective is to help update and refresh the ECPs. our team has been spending so much time and money for this. professional cameraman and editor are being hired to come up with a very good video.the planned shooting schedule will be this coming saturday.

attached herewith is the prepared working script for the said video which is open for suggestions and comments to produce a very informative video. we are doing this in order for us not to miss very important details on the procedure and for us to avoid any negative reviews as soon as the finished product is being distributed and does not put the video into waste.

we encourage you to give your brilliant suggestions and comments.we hope to hear from you soon!

thank you experts!

respectfully yours,

danicris lim
    Attached Files Attached Files

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

your brilliant suggestions ..............

Quote Originally Posted by Danicris Lim
    we encourage you to give your brilliant suggestions and comments.we hope to hear from you soon!

I am not so brilliant but have a suggestion:

Wrong
    Oval and rectangular shaped frames are highly recommended for PALs.

These shape lenses are not as good for PALS, you want them as deep as possible or you reduce the reading area of the lens.

Wrong
    Avoid tear-drop and aviator shaped frames as they cut the reading portion.

Again these shapes have a good depth and better suited for PALS

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The aviator shape may have the depth, but in most pd's a good portion of the reading area if not all is cut off due to the angle in the nasal portion of the frame.

It is one shape that definitely needs to have the marks drawn and check cut out with.

I think what matters most isn't necessarily the shape, but the size. There are some great rectangular frames that have the depth required for a progrssive..just like there are some nice deep tear drops that will work as well.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Do you really think the world needs this?

Why do this as it can be taught in about 5 minites to anyone with basic optical skills. Unless you are making it for a commericial.

Chip

OptiBoardaholic
    Chip - A video like this could make sense in a different country.

The script is very basic and I encourage you to get more detailed.

For example:

"Frames for PALs should be well fitted for patients."

I would specify that the frame should be fitted before measuring the seg height.

I also see nothing about how to measure the seg height.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Hasn't one of the lens mfg. . .

done this already. I can't believe that one of the big 3 hasn't done this. Maybe even Shamir. . .they're big on education.

I'd check with Essilor, Hoya, Zeiss/Sola maybe Younger or Shamir and see if there isn't PAL fitting video or DVD.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    in behalf of our team, we would like to thank you all for responding to my post.

this video is very helpful in our community since they just rely on the groups to update themselves, rather than they find their way to do so.

maybe we would just be so detailed with regards to the script.

we hope to hear more from you guys! thanks!

danicris lim

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I agree that you have to be careful when selecting frames due to depth of the progressive but also "cutout" (being careful not to cut off any reading area).

My suggestion would be to show a "good" pupil distance fit in an aviator/oval and a "bad" pupil distance fit in an aviator/oval. (or this could be in any frame shape/style)

One thing that I always would do "when in doubt" of the reading area being cut off is to (and I always trained my new associates to do this) :

1) pre adjust the frame to the patient before any measuring

2) put the pre-adjusted glasses on the patient - use a marker to "dot" on the demo lenses where the center of the pupil is located -

3) take the glasses off the patient.

4) Use the manufacturers "cutout" chart to verify there is enough room and the reading area will not be compromised. To do this, take the glasses and lay them over the cutout chart, placing the "dot" on the "fitting cross" . The reading area should be comfortably inside the demo lens area. You could demonstrate this in the video with an example of one that works well and one that doesn't work well.

Also, I can't remember from reading your script or if it's been mentioned in this thread, I think it's important to use a pupilometer for taking the pd measurements as I feel it is critical to use the "occluded" monocular measurement option. Pals work best if they are as customized for each eye as possible.

and, welcome to Optiboard :cheers:
    Last edited by GOS_Queen; 03-22-2006 at 09:57 AM. Reason: clarification

Thread Information