Thread: Does your company offer formal training?

Bad address email on file optigirl70's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Arrow Does your company offer formal training?

I've worked for several companies over the years and very few offer any type of formal training but yet they want to hire people with no experience to pay them the least amount of money! I think when that happens we are offering a diservice to our customers/patients. Don't get me wrong I'm all for giving someone a chance since that is how we all arrived here. But if the company is too busy to train their associates properly who really suffers?:hammer:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You must work in a medical practice.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Who suffers..............

Quote Originally Posted by optigirl70
    But if the company is too busy to train their associates properly who really suffers?:hammer:
    If the company hires inexpirienced non professionals .......and does not train them to a minimal usefulness, the company will eventually suffer as it will loose customers and patients. That applies for any type of business.

There is no way that you can get away with inferior service, provided by unexpirienced personell giving lousy service, unless you have an immense advertising budget to continously replace lost customers.

That sounds like Walmart to me.
    It was always too busy, too understaffed, and too sales driven.

Good Luck to you. Study as much as you can on your own time. You may motivate others to do the same.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel,

because those who mind don't matter
    and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Occupation
    Optigirl,

The OAP (Opticians Association of Pennsylvania) is a good resource for the training that you may desire. We have an annual convention that usually affords over 20 credit hours of education. Many docs send their staff and most opticians go it on their own for "Personal and/or Professional Advancement"

Although we were denied licensure a few years ago, we are executing the logistics of a voluntary opticians registry which will enable eyewear consumers to recognize a difference in the level of care they receive.

You can check out our website paoptician.org
    We have just made a reduction in dues for first time members so it will not sponge too much money to become involved.

Feel free to call with any questions.

Kevin

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

We do offer some. . .

We close the store for continuing education classes here in town. We pay airfare, room and half the cost of CE's for the trade show in Vegas. We invite mfg reps into our stores to tell us about new technology.

The only one in the stores that haven't been doing this for awhile is our receptionist and we are currently helping her study for her ABO. During slow times she can work the floor under the supervision of an Optician and one of us will handle the desk.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

training

I own 3 stores and would love to offer formal training but, there aren't enough hours in the day.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think there are tax incentives for employers who cover the costs of employee education. Why not investigate that in terms of what your employees can do on their own time?

Occupation

Exclamation

cancelled

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I was lucky that when I started with AO in the 60's we still had study groups. Several employers since have had informal training, but nothing to compare to the groups. At C.D. Optical we are trying to use the ABO materials and Opticampus to educate employees.

Occupation
    Why don't we have time to train? Is it because we are so busy and there just isn't enough help to cover a new hire or existing associates training. I realize that much of our experience is hands on. But does anyone else feel that if we are not trained we are not as valuable? Is it harder to advance in our careers?
    I started out 19 years ago and worked my way up to management. I have my ABO and Iam studying for my Advanced. I had to do this all on my own. There was only one company that I worked for that offered any form of formal training. Why is that?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dis be why

Time spent on the job in the view of many employers is to be spent working (translation: doing something that gets the job done). While education is important an employee (or a teacher for that matter) with a PHD will not put a screw in, adjust a frame or make a sale any better than one that can't spell any better than Harry and I. Cruel but the way many employers see things.

Some offer training after hours without pay (see how many employees will show up fo this, and of those how many will not B**** about the fact that they have to spend time doing this and not get paid.)

In many cases when you take a job, the employer assumes you know enough to do the job and can pick up the rest on the job.

Chip
    I could go on with this (actually I can take either side in any argument) but you get the idea.

Occupation
    We opticians are looked at as sales people and I think that is wrong. Many of our patients or customers come to us because they believe we hold some sort of degree and have formal training like nurses, ect... If you have someone working in your optical who does'nt fully understand how a lens works or why we are recommending a specific lens for that patient, how can we offer the best service?

I spoke to a sales rep a few months back and he said he calls offices all the time and a receptionist doesn't even know how to answer or hang up the phone properly. What is that?

A friend of mine works for a company in FL and she said the are the true follower of the book Raving Fans. Wouldn't it be nice to have every company run that way or is it just a fantasy on my part?:angry:

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

Question I don't know Raving Fans. . .

Perhaps I am a little more sensitive because we are discount and alot of people, including our peers, precieve discount as sub standard. The Minister of Finance takes care of the tax stuff, but I want us to be able to hold our own with anybody in town. Having a crew of primarily geezers I don't sweat the basics, but I want them to be familiar with new materials and new lens designs. Heck, I want to be familiar with them as well.

We are fortunate to have good lab reps in our area from Hoya, Essilor & Zeiss/Sola so we have meetings about once a month to pick their brains on a rotating basis. We also invite frame reps in to help us with the newest styles and trends in our area. That's the real problem with running an older crew. I caught one of them on the floor the other day lamenting about the AG Deeda with the blue to pink tint. He had to buy lunch for the whole crew over that one!!

I want our receptionist to become ABO certified and she's working really hard at it. We let her work the floor about 2 days a week under the supervision of an experienced Optician. I believe this is important because she is the first one alot of our people come in contact with. She knows that we can still get execs, double d's and alot of other things that other people in town say are no longer available. When someone asks for something she's never heard of she knows enough to ask the person for their phone number so that she can check and see if its available. How can you put a price tag on that?

As soon as the classes are up for the Vegas show we gather around and figure out who's going to take what class. We spend a fair amount of money flying everyone in and putting them up for 3 days, but they all know that they are responsible for sharing whatever information they get with eveyone else. So its actually pretty cheap and we have next to no turnover!! The savings in training alone is a blessing, not to mention that our folks like seeing they same faces all the time.

There's only 6 of us now including myself. I don't know if we'll be able to continue as we grow, but we're certainly going to try. ;)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    [QUOTE=Chris Ryser]If the company hires inexpirienced non professionals .......and does not train them to a minimal usefulness, the company will eventually suffer as it will loose customers and patients. That applies for any type of business.

Very true!

Occupation
    wow ~ great job ... :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by Framebender
    Perhaps I am a little more sensitive because we are discount and alot of people, including our peers, precieve discount as sub standard. The Minister of Finance takes care of the tax stuff, but I want us to be able to hold our own with anybody in town. Having a crew of primarily geezers I don't sweat the basics, but I want them to be familiar with new materials and new lens designs. Heck, I want to be familiar with them as well.

We are fortunate to have good lab reps in our area from Hoya, Essilor & Zeiss/Sola so we have meetings about once a month to pick their brains on a rotating basis. We also invite frame reps in to help us with the newest styles and trends in our area. That's the real problem with running an older crew. I caught one of them on the floor the other day lamenting about the AG Deeda with the blue to pink tint. He had to buy lunch for the whole crew over that one!!

I want our receptionist to become ABO certified and she's working really hard at it. We let her work the floor about 2 days a week under the supervision of an experienced Optician. I believe this is important because she is the first one alot of our people come in contact with. She knows that we can still get execs, double d's and alot of other things that other people in town say are no longer available. When someone asks for something she's never heard of she knows enough to ask the person for their phone number so that she can check and see if its available. How can you put a price tag on that?

As soon as the classes are up for the Vegas show we gather around and figure out who's going to take what class. We spend a fair amount of money flying everyone in and putting them up for 3 days, but they all know that they are responsible for sharing whatever information they get with eveyone else. So its actually pretty cheap and we have next to no turnover!! The savings in training alone is a blessing, not to mention that our folks like seeing they same faces all the time.

There's only 6 of us now including myself. I don't know if we'll be able to continue as we grow, but we're certainly going to try. ;)

Occupation

Wave

I feel the same way everyone does it seems! In order for our practices to grow we have to offer training at all levels. It all begins with the receptionist. If they are not strong in product knowledge and know how to answer a question the ultimate perception of the office is less than satisfactory. The opticians have to be on top of product knowledge otherwise they will loose the customer in the long run. I believe that you can not just sell a pair of glasses you have to recommend the product and let the decision up to the patient. If you don't know what products to recommend based on the rx and lifestyle of that patient then you are not doing them or your company any favors.

Customer service is the key to success with any business and that is where many companies have failed or are not seeing increases. Take a look at the book "Raving Fans" I recommend everyone read this one if you have not already. It is all about the perception that we choose to represent. If everyone is smiling and happy that makes up half the battle. Keeping them motivated and trained is another battle that you need to win. Tie them altogether and you can achieve your higher goals of having a successful practice. You can increase your patient referrals just by treating every patient that walks into your office like they are something special. It will give them those warm fuzzy feeling that we would like to get when we walk into our own dr's offices, or atleast wish we would get!:cheers:

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Be nice .......................

You can increase your patient referrals just by treating every patient that walks into your office like they are something special. It will give them those warm fuzzy feeling that we would like
    Besides technical knowhow................................
    A nice smiling "good morning Mrs Miller" will already help a lot instead a low key no smile "can I help you" or "I'll be with you".

That helps with the little old lady that comes every 2nd day for an adjustment as well as the patient that will buy a pair of glasses for $ 750.00. Everybody feels good, when treated with good manners.

When the patient leaves.............wether he left a lot of money for the services or not, walking him to the door while thanking him or her and telling him once more to come back if there is anything we could do for him or her.

People do appreciate courtesy and being treated as individuals.

Occupation
    Chris

You said it.....Smile, Common Courtesy...You should treat every patient like they are a guest in your house. Those that can't treat our patients with respect shouldn't be in this line of work. I think companies, especially larger ones need to take a step back and decide why it is their turn over is so high. I admire those companies that have little turnover. They must treat their associates with respect. After 19 years in the industry I have seen it all!!!:hammer:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    My employers don't offer formal training themselves, but they strongly encourage us to keep up to date with industry knowledge. They pay for all our license and certification dues, pay for continuing education seminars, and offer to help us get formal training.

For example, they paid airfare, room and registration for 3 staff members to attend Vision Expo last fall. And a couple of years ago they paid all the fees (including the special testing centre fee) for me to write the CPOA exam.

And like others here, we have periodic staff meetings with our ophthalmic lens and contact lens reps to brush up our product knowledge.

Thread Information