Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience with frame drilling equipment?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Experience with frame drilling equipment?

Does anyone on here have experience with lab equipment for drilling rimless eyewear? I am looking at the Santinelli "Less Stress" unit but do not know how easy it is to use or if I would run into problems. You certainly do not want to mess up expensive lenses by mis-drilling holes. I have a finishing lab only but would like to look into this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    we have a berkshire optidrill running 40-60 drill jobs per day......it is a nice machine, and i like that it can be drilling while two edgers are running the jobs to be drilled....(lately it takes two Santinelli 9000 express edgers to keep the drill busy, do to the slippery A/R's needing to be on soft grinding cycles for poly and trivex lenses....even though regular grind cycle is fine 90% of the time, with average cost of lenses going through the specialty room, i would rather not have any lenses spin in the edger and run the soft grind)...however.....both edgers MUST be calibrated perfectly to one another.....even 1/2 of a degree difference from one edger to another will produce a glaring imperfection in holes drilled anywhere near the top of the lens, especially nasal. Although 1/2 a degree is barely noticable, if at all, in string rimless, full metal or zyl frame, trust me, it is noticeable in three piece drill mounts. If only using one edger, the dill is very easily calibrated to that edger and maintains calibration for a long time.

Have spoken on several occassions with santinelli regarding their drilling edgers and have never been thrilled with the times they have given me for running a complete pair of -3.00 or higher poly's with polish and eight holes....(Santinelli rep. which will remain nameless has told me 18-24 minutes)....the National Optronics 7E edger with drilling is supposedly at least 50% faster and i should have one in the lab in 3 weeks to 2 months...they have not given me an exact date yet....will let you know how it works once it is in.

Bad address email on file

Did you get the 7E with drill yet?

Please let me know how you like the 7E with drill. I am also considering this, I have the 7E w/o drill now. Thank you,

I do not have experience with those automatic (expensive) machines to drill holes or edgers that drill hole. The Santinelli "Less Stress" is for drill lenses manually. We have had a Santinelli "Less Stress" for a few years and i like it. It is very accurate and the digital display is excellent to return to the same position it was before. Just write down the coordinates and you are set.
    But remenber "The problem is not how to drill a hole but where to drill it" When you do it manually, you must measure everything and recheck those measurements. Even we do a test lens before doing a expensive lens.
    Our source of informations is most of the time as demolens. The hole on it are not accurate and most of the time you must adjust those numbers to end up with a good result. It is not as SALESMAN say. "Just transfer the holes of the demolens to the lens and you are set". If it where so easy, there would not be so many experienced people expending thousand of dollars in automatic equipments.

CDOT
    I use the santinelli less stress everyday. For a low to moderate volume (10 to 30) a day it is an ok unit. The digital displays are great but the biggest beef I have with it is the construction. There is an inter-mingeling of plastic and metal parts where there should be strictly metal parts only. It leaves that much more room for error. A very similar drill which I have used extensivly is the Minima 2. All metal construction, digital, user friendly. Thats the one i would pick for smaller volumes.

I would like more information on the Minima 2. Who sells it?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do my own drill mounts with a dremel.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Hand drillin......................

Quote Originally Posted by High_Abbe
    I would say that this is the way to go. All the people go to home depot buy drills to drill their holes in their house, car, boat and dont see a problem doing it.

But in the optical lab you need a computerized drilling machine that figures out where to place the hole and then drilling it. All this can cost from hundreds to thousands of dollars.

Doing it be hand with a dremel or a minmi drill press will need some learning and knowing how to do it. You have to learn the differences between glass (not anymore needed in most cases) CR39, high index and poly and get the feel for all these material.

However doing it by hand will cost you much less and you will understand a lot more about mounting rimless glasses.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Then I guess you have competitors doing a much better job.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    Then I guess you have competitors doing a much better job.

No......I am just more talented than my competitors.

Occupation

Good Answer.............

No......I am just more talented than my competitors.

In short....................Good Answer

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    In short....................Good Answer
    Only if he can back it up.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I don't get any complaints so, I guess I back it up every time that I make one.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Dont have to back it up..........................

Lab technicians and opticians that can still drill a hole by hand are not yet totally extinct.

I could probably still drill holes into flint glass on my old optical drill press made by Essilor and bought in the early 70s, and so could many of my lab employees from that time.

The computerized machinery of today does not let people reflect anymore how even the principle of doing things work.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lab technicians and opticians that can still drill a hole by hand are not yet totally extinct.

I could probably still drill holes into flint glass on my old optical drill press made by Essilor and bought in the early 70s, and so could many of my lab employees from that time.
    Snore
    The computerized machinery of today does not let people reflect anymore how even the principle of doing things work.
    The computerised machines do a better job.
    End of.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't get any complaints so, I guess I back it up every time that I make one.
    I never had any complaints when I glazed rimless by hand.

I can however recognise that the machine does a better job.

You cannot by hand make holes to 1/10th mm, perfectly straight with perfect separation every time. It just isn't human.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I never had any complaints when I glazed rimless by hand.

I can however recognise that the machine does a better job.

You cannot by hand make holes to 1/10th mm, perfectly straight with perfect separation every time. It just isn't human.

You're just not as good as I am. There's nothing wrong with that, there aren't many people who are.;)

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You're just not as good as I am. There's nothing wrong with that, there aren't many people who are.;)
    It doesn't matter, I have a machine which is better than you, so ner.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    So, what you're saying is that you're a master of drill mounts. A, dare I say, drill mount master. Maybe you should change your name. Back.

Oh, did that slip out? Oopsie.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by spartus
    So, what you're saying is that you're a master of drill mounts. A, dare I say, drill mount master. Maybe you should change your name. Back.

Oh, did that slip out? Oopsie.

?????

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Which model .................????

So, what you're saying is that you're a master of drill mounts. A, dare I say, drill mount master. Maybe you should change your name.

Wat kind of automatic machine did they use during those times ?????

Ernest Weir is wearing a style of eyeglasses popular in the 1930's and 1940's. Original frames from this period are gold or gold filled and usually engraved. The style is a bit narrow by today's standards, but many people like this look. Plus new lenses can be cut to any size. The style is generally called "3-piece."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Life Mag1937.jpg  
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 03-12-2006 at 09:33 AM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wat kind of automatic machine did they use during those times ?????
    Ernest Weir is wearing a style of eyeglasses popular in the 1930's and 1940's. Original frames from this period are gold or gold filled and usually engraved. The style is a bit narrow by today's standards, but many people like this look. Plus new lenses can be cut to any size. The style is generally called "3-piece."
    FFS Chris, do you still ride to work on a horse and cart?

I read in another thread you were putting some Brit down for not having a dishwasher, and then theres the criticism of people using tint pots.

You are really inconsistent.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We still see some of these that our Amish patients use. I have an old AO lens drill that I use to drill GLASS lenses for them. For plastic lenses I use a Dremel in a drill press stand and a homemade jig to position the lens.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Opinion on new optical technologies....................

FFS Chris, do you still ride to work on a horse and cart?
    Here it is called "horse and buggy"...............a cart is what you use at the supermarket.

When I studied ophthalmic optics at the Northampton Polytechnicum in London we had to neutralize lenses with trial lenses, because nobody had ever seen a lensometer, while I had I had worked with them for 4 years prior in Europe.

The Brits were walking around in national healthcare frames forever. Everybody was wearing the same 4 model frames for men and ladies each. No Brit would buy any decent frames because they would have had to pay for it.

Now that you have finally advanced into modern times you believe you have invented them.

You obviously did not understand my post, or you are lacking the famous English humor. It all meant: "When you have learned the old manual way and have been good at it, you have learned what it is all about". It is in no way to put down modern technology but you would understand it a heck of a lot better.

A pilot does not start to fly an Airbus with fully automatic controls as his first job. He has worked his way up from the little single engine Piper to multi engine aircraft and so forth.

I read in another thread you were putting some Brit down for not having a dishwasher, and then theres the criticism of people using tint pots.
    Not having a dishwasher is matter of choice and for what you spend your money. If have the money and no dishwasher you are behind times.

By using the dye pots with the mess thats going aling with them, besides that you and employees are breathing the toxic fumes that are emitted by them.

There is no critisism of people using tint pots...............there is a warning that you are putting your and your staff's health on the line because your dye stuff manufacturers and suppliers where not honest when making out their MSDS sheets.

Therefore it would be advisable to investigate the matter a little further before making statements as per above quote.

You are really inconsistent.
    That is your opinion, if right or wrong. If we could not be opinionated the world would be a very boring place.

Occupation

Idea Good job...................???????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    We still see some of these that our Amish patients use. I have an old AO lens drill that I use to drill GLASS lenses for them. For plastic lenses I use a Dremel in a drill press stand and a homemade jig to position the lens.

Now that I have been told that I look like your Amish patients............can you tell me if you can do a decent job....................with your drilling installation ?

A very frank straight forward answer in plain english...............would be just be right at this stage of the thread on drilling holes into lenses.

Thread Information