Thread: Experience with LTI LensCoater?

Occupation
    Optometrist

Experience with LTI LensCoater?

I am looking for a backside hard coater and found a used LTI LensCoater IQ. Would prefer a used one machine rather than something over $10,000.

Does anybody out there have any experience with this machine? What is the good and bad about it?

Thanks in advance!

-Steve

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper UV hard coat................................

Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster
    I am looking for a backside hard coater and found a used LTI LensCoater IQ. Would prefer a used one machine rather than something over $10,000.
    -Steve
    The LTI is one of the most reliable lens coaters using UV curing coating materials.

You might have to change the bulb, which gets weaker with the square of the time used. When somebnody changes to a new machinme it is usually when the bulb gets weak. Many parts are available on your local market.

You can also use hardcoat resins that do not cost in the 100s of dollars like the one for the newer machines. You can also easily switch from a tintable to a non tintable variation.

See more details at :
    http://optochemicals.com/products/info_opl_uv.htm
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 03-09-2006 at 11:05 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    You might have to change the bulb, which gets weaker with the square of the time used. When somebnody changes to a new machinme it is usually when the bulb gets weak. Many parts are available on your local market.
    How much can these bulbs possibly be if you would actually consider buying a whole new unit?

Ok, About $265 for a bulb, apparently.

-Steve
    Last edited by snowmonster; 03-09-2006 at 12:39 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    I think Chris might be confusing the LTI Clean 'n Coat with the LensCoater IQ. The Clean 'n Coat has two coating tanks and uses solvent-based coatings, while the LensCoater uses 100% solids coatings and dispenses only one coating. Chris also posted a link to OMS coatings. I don't know much about those coatings, but can tell you that the LTI coatings do not require a primer for adhesion to CR-39. If you have any further questions, I would be happy to answer them. You can even call me at (714) 690-6470.

John Quinn
    President, LTI

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Welcome...................

I am really amazed by the power of optiboard.....how many people are watching it, silently hidden away until something comes up in their own field and they join in.

Welcome John, your input can for sure be good for the optiboard. Keep on posting.

Actually I think as I am not a hardware guy, I was talking about the LTI that uses solvent based coatings, as far a I know they are cheaper and not any harder to handle.

OptiBoard Novice
    Thanks Chris, I'm new at this. The Clean 'n Coat is less expensive, but harder to find, as it has been out of production for many years. I'm happy to say there are still quite a few in use, though. Nevertheless, many customers prefer the newer 100% solids coatings because they don't have the solvent odors or the hazardous waste associated with solvent-based coatings.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    John and Chris, with all due respect, I would have to suggest that snowmonster also consider the Ultra Optics products. I know that there are some used units on the market and that Ultra occasionally has used/referbished units and/or referrals.

The Ultra Optics units probably represent 90% of the lab based backside coating units, a possible testiment to their effectiveness.

Call 800-365-9993 and ask for both references and availability.

Occupation

Big Smile Welcome back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Jim G
    John and Chris, with all due respect, I would have to suggest that snowmonster also consider the Ultra Optics products.
    Hey Jim..............welcome back to the real world. I thought you had forgotten about it living in Geezerville.

:bbg:

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Thanks Chris. It's just that now that I'm retired I just don't have the time I used to when I worked to devote to this wonderful site.

Thread Information