Thread: Centennial Optical

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Centennial Optical

Anyone else deal with them? A few years ago they were great, but now I feel that the product design has dropped, the prices have gone up and the service (except for the reps) has dropped.

Any other thoughts?

CDOT
    I can see where you are coming from but....

To me Centennial hasn't dropped their level of products or service but the OTHER guys have kicked it up 2 or 3 notches.
    They definitley try to work very closley with independents which can make it seem that they are not adequete players in the market but their are still enough independents around who use Centennial products as their mainstay (myself included)
    Many independent wholesalers are getting snatched up by the other big guys and Centennial is changing their tune. You will see big changes in the company in the coming years...buying more labs/distributing promoting Zeiss products... a much more integrated approach

What exactly is making you disatisfied?

Occupation
    Well for instance, today I got a freshly ordered Bolle in. The thing had like bite marks in it (like two deep indents). I phone them up. They tell me that I can return it, and they will look at it and then exchange ONLY if they see fit.

Also, our Bolle stand does not lock anymore, and though they said this has been a problem they do not want to do anything about it.

A few weeks ago we ordered in a clip on approval. We send it back on approval, and they send it back saying that they cannot credit (not even a portion).

Return broken frames with a rep slip, comes back saying that they will not accept.

They tell you that you get x amount discount one minute then the next you get none.

Customer wants an actual Serengetti case (same one as the one he got with them before). I order a replacement. Three weeks later get on in and it is a Bolle. Send it back and have trouble returning it.

It goes on and on and on. We follow their rules. We carry inventory. We pay on time if not early. Ect.

Also, I deal with mostly independent companies (I guess Viva is my main non-indy frame comp) and I never have the problems that I do with Centennial.

CDOT
    Seems like a whole slew of problems...Are they Recent or lingering problems?

You obvoiusly started dealing with them for a reason. Is that same reason still there? If you cant get satisfaction from your rep go right to Mr. DePinto (his voicemail is accessable on the phone menu)

We just dont have those same kinds problems, but it is a little different for labs a lot more $$$ travel through us than most retailers. We have a worse time with the other larger lens suppliers (some of them seem politically motivated ) in regards to returns and customer service.

Keep me posted im very interested on thew satisfaction that yuou will get.

CDOT

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Exclamation Not fair...............

Centennial has been around forever, has a good reputation and is a good company.

I dont think it is fair to mention nitty gritty problems, and download personal frustrations with a supplier on a place like the optiboard.
    These problems should be handled by telephone or e-mail by going directly to the boss and most probably will be solved in no time.

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Centennial has been around forever, has a good reputation and is a good company.

I dont think it is fair to mention nitty gritty problems, and download personal frustrations with a supplier on a place like the optiboard.
    These problems should be handled by telephone or e-mail by going directly to the boss and most probably will be solved in no time.
    I don't think for-life is knocking Centennial I think he is frustrated and wants to know if he is the only one.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser

it is fair, because if a number of consumers are frustrated then maybe a voice can be heard and the company can improve itself.

Thread Information