Thread: stick on prism

Software Engineer NetPriva.com mirage2k2's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

stick on prism

has anyone heard of or know how to get hold of stick on prism? You stick them on your lense(s) to determine best amount/distribution of prism required.

Arrow Press on Prism

Occupation
    Thanks. :)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Plus, any of your labs should be able to get them for you as well.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Warning: Despite how simple they look, they are a booger to put on and get all the air bubbles out.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Again, guys and gals, this is a consumer based question on how to obtain a "prescription" item. We don't use Fresnels for "testing" our prism prescriptions. If the consumer needs them for his personal use, he should be referred to the appropriate provider. Besides, even on a wholesale level they are expensive.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod
    Again, guys and gals, this is a consumer based question on how to obtain a "prescription" item.
    My old optician back in the uk recommended stick on prism and said I should get some - so I did.

I'm using them for 2 reasons ...
    to add/remove prism from my rx to determine the actual amount and distribution I need. My opticians approach has been to keep remaking lenses and I'm getting tired of this :(

I'm doing some testing to see the affects of prescribed prism in respect to chromatic abberation in different index materials ... I currently have 4 different materials that I'm playing with.

Can these stick ons be taken off without damaging the ar?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stick on prisms are precribed by your eye doctor for him to test the results, not you to play with. They should be applied properly by an optician. Yes they can be remove without damage to AR. The material should be what your optician recommends based on your precription, frame, needs and budget.

Stop playing games that you can't comprehend the rules to. Get professional help (Opthalmic and psychiatric if needed.)

Chip:(

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Stop playing games that you can't comprehend the rules to. Get professional help (Opthalmic and psychiatric if needed.)Chip:(
    I'm not playing games I'm just learning the ropes ... I've taken onboard a lot of theory over the last year and now I'm adding some practical to it. The prisms I got are 1d so I dont think I'm gonna go blind "playing" with them.

I am getting psychiatric help

I was quite excited when they arrived - now I can look in the mirror and say "which one is clearer? this one or this one" :D :D :D

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LOOK! As a rule it takes a very smart (much more so than your average catract jockey) ophthalmologist to evaluate adult strabismus (which is what you must have from all these questions) and treat same. I have been in the opthalmic business since 1956 in one form or another. I have on many occasions listened to lectures and personal instructions on this and other eye muscle and coordination problems. Sometimes I even thought I understood them, only to find that in a short time I was nearly clueless on the subject.

Do not waste your time personally trying to evaluate this problem. Often not even your doctor can tell anything about the situation until the prism has been tried for a period of weeks or more to see what adjustments your eye/brain makes to each subtile change.

No I don't think you will go blind from this, you might hurt yourself from a lack of visual perception, or you might just get a few more headaches than you want, but you are wasteing your time.

Chip

Occupation
    chip, I understand and appreciate your concern. :cheers: I will get my optician to fit the stick on.

I'm not really trying to diagnose my own problem ... just trying to save me and my optician time and money. The prism in my rx is wrong by about +-1d, so I was just gonna see what difference adding/removing 1d would make. Perhaps I should have got my optician to buy the stick on in the first place ... but they are available for purchase to the general public.

I'm also doing some research on lense material - partly to do with chromatic aberration ... I want to use the stick ons to see the effect they have.

It wasn't my intention in this thread to get free advice/help to diagnose my problem.:o

Thread Information