Thread: ABO reward

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ABO reward

What compensation ,if any, did you receive from your bosses after you passed the ABO? I work in a group practice with about 35 people and I received a $200.00 bonus. Although that was nice and they really did not have to give me anything, I expected an increase on my hourly rate. Was that an appropriate expectation? What happened to you?

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    $200 is pretty nice. I didn't get anything:( when I got my ABO. It was a personal milestone that my boss at the time (O.D.) wasn't really concerned with.
    I also got no monetary reward for getting my ABO Master certificate (my boss at that time was an independent Optician); he did congratulate me though:D .

I would have to say compensation for obtaining a voluntary certification like the ABO would depend on who you are working for or hiring. Some states use that for their licensing process and that would count for something.

Well, Congratulations to you and much continued success!:cheers:

Once you get your feet wet...
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Congratulations on your achievement. Although it is nice when employers reward, we should never expect a reward for something that is voluntary. In the unregulated states, the certification is one way to seperate ourselves from those that receive the standard two week training before being left alone with patients. The downside is that you don't make any more money. The upside is that you feel better about your abilities, your patients gain respect for you and you develop a following and importance within your practice.

In another industry that mirrors this one (but is much more more advanced) the states with the regulations do have a higher pay scale. You can always move or open your own shop.:)

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I started in the business working for my father, and he had always encouraged all of his employees to obtain their ABO certification. He paid for your first test attempt, and provided an automatic 15% increase in salary if you passed. I think he understood that the true value of the ABO certification comes not from the certificate, itself, but rather from the knowledge you obtained while earning it. For a new optician, earning an ABO certification serves as an indication that you have achieved a minimum level of competency and training -- certainly more so than someone who has just walked in off the street for a job.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On average in the various practices I have been associated with ABO added an additional $1-1.50 per hour increase or $2080 to $3,120 a year. Additional certification brings more.

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Heishman
    On average in the various practices I have been associated with ABO added an additional $1-1.50 per hour increase or $2080 to $3,120 a year. Additional certification brings more.
    WOW! When a few of us went from zilch (with 15 - 20 years experience) to ABO and NCLE we got a Princely raise of 60 cents an hour! Nothing at all for only ABO or only NCLE. Wish that additional certification did really bring more!!:)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The way I see it, the reward is that your are more marketable to other practices. If you can be hired away because of this new cetrification, the it would be in the bset interest of the boss to give you a raise (if he wants to keep you).

More than once, I helped employees of mine study and pass their state license because I wanted them to be more marketable so they would leave! They weren't bad people, they had just gotten burned out here and it was time to go. Rather than let them go, they came to me, hat in hands, and said they had "bad" news for me.;)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got NOTHING !!!

At my initial interview I was told I would get a raise after 90 days, when I get ABO certified and at my 1 year mark. Got absolutely nothing all 3 times and guess what, I'm still there and my 2 year review is coming up. Stupid on my part ??? Who knows.

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Licensed vs. non-licensed

I practiced in Michigan - an unlicensed opticianry state - for 14 years. Then I moved to Florida, specifically because it was a licensed opticianry state (plus it didn't snow in South Florida) and opticians there were making twice as much as I was. I worked as an apprentice optician, took opticianry college courses at night, passed my ABO and NCLE, then Florida state boards, and was finally licensed after 3+ years in the state. When I was apprenticing I was still making more $ than I had in Michigan, and once I was licensed combined with years of on-the-job experience, I achieved that goal and beyond to make twice what I had in the great white north.
    I think if you're committed to the profession that it can be your driver to achieve. You should look into (if possible) licensed vs. unlicensed states, management positions, technician positions, even non-dispensing opportunities like a sales representative, medical coordinator, or lab sales/marketing/management (and I'm sure there's others I can't think of right now) as other employment possibilities in the optical industry.

Bad address email on file Lyrix76's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Congradulations On Passing

Quote Originally Posted by optimanj
    What compensation ,if any, did you receive from your bosses after you passed the ABO? I work in a group practice with about 35 people and I received a $200.00 bonus. Although that was nice and they really did not have to give me anything, I expected an increase on my hourly rate. Was that an appropriate expectation? What happened to you?
    I think that's great that you passed your ABO's, I actually took mine this past May down at NYU in N.Y. Unfortunately for me, I don't think Lenscrafters has a reward for passing the ABO's, but I was wondering, how long does it take to get the results??? and, is there any way to find out sooner???? Please HELP SOMEONE!!:hammer:

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got a dollar raise, when I passed my NCLE. I took the ABO in may, we will see what happens! I THINK I passed. My boss says he will try to get me more than a dollar since I will be the only person there with both licenses. :cheers:

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you work for WM? If so you will probably get one...I did when I worked for them.

Steph

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Got my ABO in 1992, my bosses at the time felt it was a personal achievement and offered no extra compensation, however when I left in 1994 my new employer paid more because I had it.

Rich R

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie
    Do you work for WM? If so you will probably get one...I did when I worked for them.

Steph
    Unfourtunatley, Yes I do. They do pay me better than any OD has, but I have to put up with a lot of extra crap.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Congradulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrix76
    I think that's great that you passed your ABO's, I actually took mine this past May down at NYU in N.Y. Unfortunately for me, I don't think Lenscrafters has a reward for passing the ABO's, but I was wondering, how long does it take to get the results??? and, is there any way to find out sooner???? Please HELP SOMEONE!!:hammer:
    Hi Sarah, I think that's great that your boss did that for you, I'm still wondering how long it's going to take for me to get my verdict lol. Oh & very nice wedding picture by the way, you both make a nice looking couple :) best of luck to you both. I'll letcha know if I get a raise but HAHAHAHAHAHA I work for Lenscrafters so I doubt it

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am in Michigan, as mentioned above no licensing required, when I went to work at my current position I mentioned my interest in achieving my ABO, my boss (partial practice owner) decided his employee couldnt out rank him so we studied together and worked very hard learning and went to take and pass the test. I was pleasantly surprised at my extra dollar an hour, it came just two months after my previous raise. My office advertises the fact that we are the only practice with certified opticians and its especially great that we have two. I was thankful for my increase and I think it is good business practice to reward employees for furthering education. However if your not getting that perhaps good old fashion pride should do the trick. if your practice is other wise taking care of you I wouldnt be concerned with this, if they arent perhaps you ought to move on.

Good Evening

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrix76
    Hi Sarah, I think that's great that your boss did that for you, I'm still wondering how long it's going to take for me to get my verdict lol. Oh & very nice wedding picture by the way, you both make a nice looking couple :) best of luck to you both. I'll letcha know if I get a raise but HAHAHAHAHAHA I work for Lenscrafters so I doubt it
    Thank you very much! We got married in dec.

Yeah, when I took my NCLE it took right at the 8 week mark. I have 8 weeks to the day marked on my calender. I know that here in CA the state medical board knows before I will if I passed or not! :p

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I just found out today that I passed my ABO's!!!!!!!!!!!! and I couldn't be more thrilled! Life is good.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Congratulations, Lyrix!
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Congratulations ~ :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh geez! That means I should be finding out any day now! (Bites nails.....)

But Congrats to you!

Thread Information