Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOW...ultra cheap 1.74 high index lens?

OptiBoard Novice

WOW...ultra cheap 1.74 high index lens?

Just noticed that this online retailer is selling ultra cheap 1.74 high index lens. I recently paid US$275 for my 1.74 Essilor with Crizal Alize, did I get ripped off?

US$117.31 for 1.74 high index lens with AR
    http://www.selectspecs.com/optional_...?item=option=1
    This is my first 1.74 high index lens and I'm astounded by the difference in price.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by webmal
    Just noticed that this online retailer is selling ultra cheap 1.74 high index lens. I recently paid US$275 for my 1.74 Essilor with Crizal Alize, did I get ripped off?

This is my first 1.74 high index lens and I'm astounded by the difference in price.
    because you went to see a qualified Optician. If you went to an online retailer you do not get that and with that lens it NEEDS to be fit properly.

So, no you did not get ripped off. Getting ripped off is spending $117.31 for lenses that you may not see through.

OptiBoard Novice
    For-life, I'm aware of that fact. My point is; no online retailer is selling the 1.74 high index lens for less than US$200. How do they do it? Do they cut corners?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    For-life, I'm aware of that fact. My point is; no online retailer is selling the 1.74 high index lens for less than US$200. How do they do it? Do they cut corners?
    could be the AR that they use. Could be a lie. Could be making bad business decisions.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They may not have enough markup in them to warrant a remake if there is a problem. This is fine if your order isn't one of the ones which warrants a remake.

You pays your money, you takes your chance.

OptiBoard Novice
    I did a bit of detective work and called selectspecs.com (based in the UK). I asked who manufactures their 1.74 high index lens and the rep claims that they manufacture it themselves. Is this plausible? I thought only 2-3 companies have the technology to manufacture 1.74 high index lens?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I did a bit of detective work and called selectspecs.com (based in the UK). I asked who manufactures their 1.74 high index lens and the guy claims that they manufacture it themselves. Is this plausible? I thought only 2-3 companies have the technology to manufacture 1.74 high index lens?
    I would suspect that is untrue.
    I would be **extremely** surprised if they do any more than cut the lenses to the shape of the frame.
    As I said they can make a profit at the price they quote if their redo's are low.
    In my experience the less a company charges, the less likely they are to remake an order which isn't quite right.

So they are either brilliant at getting it all right first time, or they let some crap go out of the door. It's not for me to say.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Others can too......................

I thought only 2-3 companies have the technology to manufacture 1.74 high index lens?
    I guess you can buiy semi finished blanks and if equiooed to surface them you can make them. All possible.

The lens material is not not made by the companies advertising the lenses. They buy the monomer or the resin and then cast lenses, but so can anybody else that can get their hands on the materials.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    I guess you can buiy semi finished blanks and if equiooed to surface them you can make them. All possible.

The lens material is not not made by the companies advertising the lenses. They buy the monomer or the resin and then cast lenses, but so can anybody else that can get their hands on the materials.
    I would imagine this is more expensive than buying the stock blanks which in this material would probably serve range 10/2.

I do not know of anyone in the UK who casts lenses. That is not to say it isnt done.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Not allowed to post prices!!!!

I didn't think we were allowed to post prices, wholesale or otherwise anywhere in this forum??????:finger:

OptiBoard Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by High_Abbe
    I didn't think we were allowed to post prices, wholesale or otherwise anywhere in this forum??????:finger:
    I checked the sticky posts but couldn't find anything about posting prices. The price is really irrelevant, my point is the huge price difference. Nevertheless, my apologies if I broke the rules.

Occupation

Blue Jumper World is getting smaller..................

Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    I do not know of anyone in the UK who casts lenses. That is not to say it isnt done.
    I am not saying that this is the case, but do know that these days it is very easy to get materials of any kind from any corner of the globe. There is always somebody willing to make a sale.

Like frames...............lenses these days are all made in the far east from Thailand to Malaysia and on to China. The large corporations also have their own plants all spread around.

There are right now operating lens labs making Rx lenses in Thailand that are being sent by Fedex or DHL to Europe and it takes not any longer to get them than when you order locally.

I am just trying to say that all this is possible today and easily arranged.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist

You're not getting a "real" 1.74 with a "real" AR. You're probably getting a 1.67 with a generic AR. Contary to some of the posts here, I don't think that 1.74 material is widely available to "off-brand" companies. More importantly, you must have a high Rx...who is measuring your monocular PDs, your OC heights, pantoscopic tilt, and face form (if any)? These are the things a professional, in a face to face encounter with the patient, will measure and take care of for you. The on-line retailer is asking and doing none of these.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Just like getting three pair of glasses for LOW $$$$$$. You get what you pay for.

OptiBoard Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod
    You're not getting a "real" 1.74 with a "real" AR. You're probably getting a 1.67 with a generic AR.

Thanks for the interesting insight.

Occupation
    Is this for single vision or progressives?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

junk lenses

Who will take the required measurements?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You get what you pay for.

You got the best money can buy.

There are cheaper 1.7s with lesser quality AR coatings available.

Be happy with your deal.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll sell you a car for $2,000. Wanna but it?
    ...Just ask me...

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Webmal,

Theres a lot of counterfeit product out there.

If you brought in a pair of purchased elsewhere specs to my office and asked if you had 1.74, I wouldn't be able to tell you by looking at it.

Kind of like 14 carat gold, the only way to tell if real is to melt it down. So you must trust your supplier.

Software Engineer NetPriva.com mirage2k2's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I'd like to know why 1.74s are so expensive in the first place :angry:

Is 1.74 material really that much more expensive to produce and process than CR39 - how can you justify being 3-4 times as expensive

Perhaps the manufacturers are just cashing in on the demand.

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by mirage2k2
    I'd like to know why 1.74s are so expensive in the first place :angry:

Is 1.74 material really that much more expensive to produce and process than CR39 - how can you justify being 3-4 times as expensive

Perhaps the manufacturers are just cashing in on the demand.
    Manufacturers have to pay for both material and design R&D costs. Typically, any new, "cutting edge" product in any field will have a higher cost as compared to when it was first introduced. The manufacturers want to recover as much of their original investment and make their biggest profit while the large margins are still attainable. A large percent of these profits are re-invested into R&D as well as advertising.

You cannot look at the raw material cost alone. How many people and people hours did it take to get that new product to you? That is part of the equation too.

Doc

Occupation
    I partly agree with you :) I'm a software engineer and our company can work for several years on r&d and new software and not earn a cent!

However, expensive 1.74 material is 1) old hat already, 2) optically inferior to cheaper cr-39. It is just thin that is all!

Occupation
    It is all about vanity. People are prepared to pay lots of money to look good ;)

Occupation

Best comment..................

Quote Originally Posted by mirage2k2
    However, expensive 1.74 material is 1) old hat already, 2) optically inferior to cheaper cr-39. It is just thin that is all!

It is all about vanity. People are prepared to pay lots of money to look good
    How right you are................................Best comment ever on optiboard in reference to high index lenses.

In the old days of corrected curve lenses (glass) the old high index were the flint lenses which had flat curves and were considered good only for estethics and lousy for optics. :D

Thread Information