Thread: Back to school?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Back to school?

I am toying with the idea of going to college. I want to stay in the industry, but I'm unsure of how to direct my degree. I would like to hear some imput from you guys out there about what companies to work for, what posistions there are, etc.. I'm not sure what exactly I'd like to do so please, give me ideas!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by High_Abbe
    I am toying with the idea of going to college. I want to stay in the industry, but I'm unsure of how to direct my degree. I would like to hear some imput from you guys out there about what companies to work for, what posistions there are, etc.. I'm not sure what exactly I'd like to do so please, give me ideas!
    I know how it feels. I am going to start my MBA in September.

I think that if you want to stay with dispensing a business degree can always help.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    a year of two of prereqs (if you don't have them), and 4 additional years and you can be an OD :bbg: . If you do this, you'll make me feel better knowing I'm not the only one doing it.

AA

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    You could do what I did - become an engineer and then harass all the optical folks you used to work with! :D

If you're staying in dispensing, I'd agree that a business degree is most helpful. A biology or allied health degree might look good on the ole resume, but won't help you advance as much.

Or you could go for a PhD in Physics, which is a prerequisite for understanding anything coming from Darryl Meister!
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear brighter before you hear them speak.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Beware! You could become "overqualified" and all you will have is a degree and an excuse for being unemployed.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Beware! You could become "overqualified" and all you will have is a degree and an excuse for being unemployed.
    that is what I am looking for :)

No, seriously that is a concern, but in the same way too many people get passed up for not having the degrees.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are interested in a degree in ophthalmic dispensing, visit www.nfos.org and look into a distance degree program. There are several very good ones.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    At least when you go to school, you learn a lot about "creative financing" such as, "Do I put gas in the car or eat lunch..."

;)

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I personally consider education to be an imperative in today’s rapidly changing world. I had the value of education instilled in me from my earliest days and a college degree was taken for granted by my canuck and two toilet Irish parents. For us boys in the family an engineering degree was just as important as marrying “the right kind of a girl” and so it was off to the Fletcher School of Engineering at Dartmouth. When I returned from Vietnam I graduated from the 2 year Optical Technology program at WITI Years later, in my forties, it was a degree a degree in Computer Science and Math from Worcester Polytechnic Institute and in 2000, just three years before I retired, I received my MBA in Management from the Isenberg School at U Mass.

Now, what do you think my advise will be? Get your butt to school. No excuses. I managed to work full time, take a full academic load and be a father and husband. Other than the GI Bill I had to pay my own freight. And, I also did a lot of amphetamines but that’s another story. I did have an advantage though – I loved it.

Specifically, don’t be too concerned about a major at this point in time. Just get out there and take one or two courses the first semester. If you are fortunate to sit at the feet of some good professors your career path will become apparent as your education progresses. Keep your options open as new vistas will come into view every day. Also remember that most of your peers in the workplace are also thinking of going back to school but will never do it. For the majority it’s just talk, talk, talk.

So, get off yer butt. We want a full report from you at the end of the next semester.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Education should be an ongoing process these days that does not end when you leave school/college, and for personal development as much as collecting certificates. Having spent the last 6 years getting an English Literature degree part time, I am planning to do a more practical computer course, and maybe a less practical conversational French.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Thread Information