Thread: Personal gripe on "near variable focus" computer glasses

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

Personal gripe on "near variable focus" computer glasses

I have used near variable focus glasses such as Sola Access for hundreds of patients over the last few years. My feeling is that there are several disturbing issues about them:

1. The lenses assume an intermediate distance for the computer screen which is approximately at arm's length. However, screens today are much larger and are often situated much further away from the user. In some cases the screen is closer than expected. In both cases the intermediate distance will cause blur unless some adjustment is made.

2. Most patients need to intersperse their computer/near work with scurrying around the office. They resent the neccessity to take off their glasses every time they need to look up or move around the office.

3. Many patients are resentful that they have to buy two pairs of glasses (even after being explained that one pair can't fit all needs).

Does anyone have any experience in using "computer glasses" in which there is some distance component available but in which the intermediate and near are emphasised? Would Solamax be a good option??

IH

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanh

Does anyone have any experience in using "computer glasses" in which there is some distance component available but in which the intermediate and near are emphasised? Would Solamax be a good option??

IH
    Hi Ilan, I've used hundreds of pairs of Sola Access and Shamir Office and hardly had any problems like you have mentioned.

On the odd occasion that the Px wants a bit of distance thrown in to their 'office specs' (as I call them) we give them the old AO Technica, but this is a very unforgiving lens, PDs and heights must be accurate and the frame must be deep, none of this shallow modern stuff.

When fitted correctly, the results are great.

Zeiss also have a similar lens, but the name escapes me right now.

The SolaMax is an OK lens, but for hours of computer/near work, a dedicated 'Office' type is better i.m.h.o

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think, Ilan, you'd appreciate the Gradal RD design. It requires a mega fitting height to work properly, but there is "ambulation" ability with these lenses.

Ilan, all NVF's are very differently designed, much more so than general purpose progressives. The designs are not always easy to understand, and a little different nomenclature is used when analyzing designs.

You need to do a little research on the Optiboard to get some info, as there is some available. Not only that, but a Sheedy report characterizes the lenses quite well.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why is everyone so afraid of bifocal and trifocal lenses? When a patient is complaining of lack of vision in any area, it's usually a very good answer. No one is going to pay any attention to your "sex apeal" or lack of same in a pair of computer glasses.

Chip

Occupation
    Optometrist

"Speak for yourself, Chip, you big hunk of Optician"
    Last edited by drk; 02-28-2006 at 01:02 PM.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Following up on drk's post, and just to give you an idea of how different the designs are:

Zeiss makes 2 different office-style lenses. The RD gives focal lengths from 16 inches out to 10 feet, easily good enough for walking around the office or seeing someone across the room. Fitting height, however, should be 25mm at least to get the full benefit of the lens. And the fitting cross should really be center-pupil for best results. The other Zeiss lens, the Business, is computer/near, covers from about 16 to 36 inches, good for someone on a computer and reading. Fitting height is much lower.

Someone who wants to optimize corridor width will probably want the Business. Someone who wants to be able to see someone across the desk will probably want the RD.

In our office, we've had the best success with the Zeiss RD and the old Rodenstock Office, which has similar characteristics.

And, . . . snazzy photo, drk. Does she come with every pair of RD's you dispense?
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

OptiBoardaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Why is everyone so afraid of bifocal and trifocal lenses? When a patient is complaining of lack of vision in any area, it's usually a very good answer. No one is going to pay any attention to your "sex apeal" or lack of same in a pair of computer glasses.

Chip
    Not a big one on the trifocals, but I definately side with you on the bifocals. In terms of vision which needs to be optimal with computer use, nothing beats a well set up pair of computer use straight tops.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I dunno. I'm sittin here with my 2 diopter add Panamics readin' and respondin' to Optiboard with no problems.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I agree with Andrew, and we also use 2 different types of variable focus near vision glasses: Tokai ProReaders for work area usage, and Shamir Office for a longer viewing distance. We have no problems with either, as long as the wearers are properly counselled about what they will get.

For using bifocals or progressives the problem is not the focus (they can be optimized for the screen distance), but the head position. Keeping your head back for too long will cause all kinds of trouble.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Besides the wonderful high tech qualities of the lens, the depth of travel and all that good stuff. With computers you also have to ask stuff like: How high is the monitor? Is the monitor in front of the keyboard or do they have to look off to the side? Don't believe in making a living promoting ergonomics but these must be concidered.

Chip

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    It would be ideal to have a pair of NVF lenses which also allowed for movement around the office. I have not had any experience with either Gradal RD or Shamir Office although my research shows that both have distance viewing areas of about 10. That may an advantage over Sola access which probably allows for no more than 6 feet. I think I will avoid the technica which is fairly unforgiving even though it has a narrow distance segment at the top. Another possibility which has been discussed at various times on this site is Solamax. Although technically not a NVF some folks have pointed out the larger intermediate and reading zones as a possible compromise between a NVF and regular progressive.

Occupation
    The other advantage the Office has over the Access is there are 4 power changes or "degressions" to choose from. They are normally decided by add but you can request what works best for you. I can send a Shamir rep your way if you would like!

And not to leave out our friend Pete, if you want to use a regular PAL you should consider the Definity also-it is very wide in the corridor.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Thanks Karen,
    I would love to speak to a Shamir rep; I love their lenses but have some questions. I use the Definity lens for myself which I find better for distance than computer/near. Then again, it's my first pair of progressives and I have had them for only a week. I will continue looking for a NVF lens which I can use for patients who spend 8 hours/day at the computer but also want to be able to bolt around the office with their glasses on. That means that they don't need stellar distance vision but enough to get by with.

Ilan

Occupation
    Her name is Vanessa- I will give her a call and ask her to come see you.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Essilor have produced 2 new computer lenses,the first gives inter/near options,the second one has a small distance area at the top, for what they term active office users who have to move around during work,or need to see further than the normal intermed distance.
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have used near variable focus glasses such as Sola Access for hundreds of patients over the last few years. My feeling is that there are several disturbing issues about them:
    1. The lenses assume an intermediate distance for the computer screen which is approximately at arm's length. However, screens today are much larger and are often situated much further away from the user. In some cases the screen is closer than expected. In both cases the intermediate distance will cause blur unless some adjustment is made.

These designs are not "computer lenses" per se, a better description would be general purpose desk glasses. If you have a client who sits in front of a desktop monitor most of the day, Rx the focal lengths using regular multifocals. For example, Rx is plano add +2.50 OU. Client measures 26" to the screen and 16" to the desktop. Rx +1.50 distance and add +1.00. Fitting cross should be low to mid-screen, seg should be no higher than the bottom of the screen.

2. Most patients need to intersperse their computer/near work with scurrying around the office. They resent the neccessity to take off their glasses every time they need to look up or move around the office.

Moderate to high myopes seem to do just fine, the others are just going to have to grin and bear it. Remind them about the AMD patient you took care of 2 hours ago.

3. Many patients are resentful that they have to buy two pairs of glasses (even after being explained that one pair can't fit all needs).

Ooh, I can hear the shrill and whine from here. I'm ashamed of my generation. Oh well, when I get these types I walk them over to the dispensing table, put them about 24" in front of my monitor, and place a +1.50 clip over their glasses. Then I say "Here's my business card, when you're ready to give your neck, back, and eyes a break give me a call".

Regards,
    Last edited by Robert Martellaro; 03-02-2006 at 10:23 AM.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation

IH
    HOYA Vision Care TACT might be something to consider. I would consult your local HOYA distibutor to discuss this lens. Allows for more distance, more intermediatte, or more near depending upon fitting.

Adam

Thread Information