Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is The Stupidest Question You Have Been Asked

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    (A customer was filling out a medical history form and was at the family history section) "You don't want MY family history, do you?" Whose would I want?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :hammer:The one that continues to amaze me is the pt who comes from the Dr. with RX in hand knowing what they want, and just stand in front of the frames with a bewildered look on the face, waiting, just waiting for a invite from you to pick up then damn frame and put it on their face. Do people really really expect you to come do it for them? My word. No one does that for me when I'm looking for a new shirt, pants, shoes or even underwear why would I expect them to do it when I'm looking for a pair of glasses.:hammer:

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's why I've gotten to the point where I bring the glasses to the patient. It's easiest on everyone that way. I can keep track of what they've already tried, what they liked and didn't like, and when they figure out what they really want, I know where to go to find those frames. Occassionally, someone will want to browse on their own, and that's okay, but I let them know I'm here to answer any questions. That also says "I'm right here, so don't try to take anything." But for the patient who just doesn't know what they want, and have given me that deer in the headlights look of "how do I do this??!!" it's incredibly helpful. I become their personal shopper, and people kind of like that term.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I always approach customers. It's the beginning of a sale.
    And it keeps the pirates at bay, we once had a RayBan stand cleared in one smooth motion. The guy swiped them of the stand bottom to top and dropped them in his back. Then he ran for his life. Never caught the guy.

It also gives the clients the feeling that they are appreciated. And giving them advise/compliments give most of them the feeling of being taken serious, even if they are just browsing.

And it's great fun advising ^_^

Bad address email on file RetroRat's Avatar
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea

Sort of related:

had a px come in complaining his lenses kept popping out, I gave them a quick glance over and noticed both eye wire screws were about to make the great escape, so I tightened them up and dropped some screwlock in and sure enough the lenses stayed in place.

"I'm pretty disappointed in these glasses, you'd think they'd be able to keep the lenses in without me havin' to come in. I take extra good care of them too!"

so I told him if he had any more issues to pop back in and handed him his glasses back when he chucked them into his back pocket (no case) and went on his merry way.

Extra good care, ha! We'll be seeing him again in the not too distant future, I'm afraid.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thats great!! Just read this, monday is a lot better.

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Heard this gem this week: "When I close my eyes, and move my eyes, I can feel my eyes move." I admit it, I looked for the hidden camera...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Auh, Yeah, Its called Customer Service. If Im going to pay $300.00 or more for a pair of glasses in your shop I want CUSTOMER SERVICE. It's our job to show them the frames that we think would best fit there face and RX. Its what we are here for. It can be overwhelming to them, so get up out of your chair and help them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I get alot of people with really big heads.... so really big frames... they get angry at me when I don't give them a slimline case!

I had one yesterday that tried to fit it in for 5 minutes then discovered if its loosened around the ears it will fit... then is angry again!
    In the end he wanted it so loose it needed to be stapled to his head... so he could have the cool slim case!

You can't win with some people...

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    pt: are my glasses straight? (dropping chin lower and lower)
    me: sir/mam, would you mind raising your chin please ?
    pt: leans in and lowers it again
    this goes on and on back and forth and I get lower and lower till
    finally saying that if they don't hold their head up we will soon
    both be on the floor.
    pt: looks at me bewildered every single time

For me this goes on all day at this new place .........
    Last edited by specs4you; 06-20-2010 at 01:15 AM. Reason: didn't finish

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    stupid pt #1: I've been wearing this rgp for 20 years. it's fine, except for this big scratch in the middle. it doesn't bother me, i just look around it. i'm gonna get a new lens today, and since i'm 54, it'll probably last me until i die.

stupid pt #2: I just want to order the same contacts i've had since 1998. the dr says i see 20/80 in them, but my vision isn't really important. i only wear them on the weakends. no, i don't want to be refit into newer materials. i mean, how good could disposable contacts really be?

i think someone should research into some weird chemical leaching out of contacts into one's brains, that makes them ALL crazy. i mean, come. on.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    This week...

Do you take dental insurance?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    can u change my eye pads?

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by spicyeyes View Post
    can u change my eye pads?
    Yeah, I hear that sometimes, too. Really, it doesn't take much thought to call them by their proper name. It bugs me when people get the parts wrong. I've heard temples be called both "arms" and "legs," sometimes "stems." What bothered me the most had to have been a regional thing. When I lived in WI, patients constantly called them "bows." Which segues into another term that irkes me: spring-loaded frames. Ggruuaaahhh!! (That's me making an exasperated grunting sound.) I really have to bite my tounge to keep from correcting my elders. Deep breath. I'm okay. Really. :hammer:
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Around here we get terms for temples such as ears, earpipeces, and hootenannies.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yesterday I had a lady call that said she was ordering glasses online and was having a problem. Her Rx said OD pl OS +0.50 Add +1.50. When she tried to enter pl on the order form it wouldn't take it. She wanted to know what should she enter there.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    WOOPS! I've been showing a staff member this thread cause it's so funny... she happened to quote one to a patient...

Px was asking how come she couldn't see out of the frames, was told they are just the frames we put the lenses in later... px still didn't understand and kept asking and kept getting told the same thing... I then hear that beautiful quotation:

I'm very sorry, had I known you were going to be here I would have put your prescription into all of the glasses for you beforehand.

Problem! Px called today to let me know she was coming in again tomorrow so I can put the power into the glasses please?

Ha! Got to be the highlight of my week! :)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "There's something wrong with the sunglasses you sold me. I can't see through them when I wear them at night." :finger:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
    WOOPS! I've been showing a staff member this thread cause it's so funny... she happened to quote one to a patient...

Px was asking how come she couldn't see out of the frames, was told they are just the frames we put the lenses in later... px still didn't understand and kept asking and kept getting told the same thing... I then hear that beautiful quotation:

I'm very sorry, had I known you were going to be here I would have put your prescription into all of the glasses for you beforehand.

Problem! Px called today to let me know she was coming in again tomorrow so I can put the power into the glasses please?

Ha! Got to be the highlight of my week! :)
    Dont stop now!! What happened?!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well I told the patient that while we could do that for her, we'd need abit more time and it would cost approx $3000, how about instead I put some lenses in your eyes... no charge. She was very happy she didn't have to pay $3000 and went with contacts to trial while she tried on the glasses.

Whew! Lesson learnt, no matter how much you want to say something, its just not worth it!

Bad address email on file RetroRat's Avatar
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by spartus View Post
    I just thought up a new answer to that question: "Yes, but it costs (cost of replacement lenses) and takes 7 working days. Or you could just order replacement lenses for these. Takes 7 working days."
    You're going to get me into trouble now, someones going to ask me that question and I'm not even going to be able to help myself! :shiner:

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Got a new one last week. Guy walks in and asks how much is an eye exam. My coworker tells him, then he proceeds to explain that we only have to charge him half price because we don't need to test both eyes. He just didn't get it when we said that we still have to do a complete eye exam and that we still will charge full price. :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a lady looking at frames, she took her glasses off and put them in the pile of frames she already tried on. After about 15 minutes, she started putting the frames back that she wasn't interested in......Ok....here's the best part! She picked a frame off the frame wall and said "ooohh..I like these".....It was her own frame that she accidentally put away! I told her that I would make her a sweet deal on them!...After she figured it all out, we both had a real good laugh, it made my day!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So you let them know that you go to a hootenanny not wear them?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    No, they wear their hootenannies to the hootenanny.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information