Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 374243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1204

Thread: What Is The Stupidest Question You Have Been Asked

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You better wash your hands after dealing with this situation!! Love me some jheri curl juice!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a 16 year Cadet-wanting-to-be-a-military-analyst-and-genius come in. He queried as to whether the lenses we provide were parabolic lenses or not. I told him a parabolic lens is a type of mirror for focusing light not a true lens persay. He didn't reply, his mother rolled her eyes. I finished the adjustment and sent him on his way.

Most of my favourite stupid questions are asked by slightly awkward teenage boys who think they're smarter than they are. It's great.
    -Poly is the best substrate for coatings.
    -Poly is extremely scratch resistant.
    -Poly is extremely impact resistant.
    -Poly is unparalleled in clarity.
    -Poly is much lighter than traditional crown glass.
    Like poly, you can trust me about 40% of the time.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by McAnerin View Post
    Most of my favourite stupid questions are asked by slightly awkward teenage boys who think they're smarter than they are. It's great.
    Or some 23 year old men

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As we all know the temples on a frame get a lot of different labels. "Arms", "legs", "flaps", "wings".........................etc
    I had a customer who insisted he didn't need glasses but he did use an old pair that belonged to his wife to "just help a bit with reading the newspaper".
    His question? "I can't get my wifes' legs over my ears. Can you fix that?"

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Asked after you just spent three minutes detailing, to the penny, what the regular retail prices and insurance-discounted prices for a patient's order will be: "Does my insurance cover any of that?"
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Or after spending 10 minute looking up insurance an explaining benefits and/ or discounts and the hearing " and do I get a senior discount on top of that ?"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I tell people their insurance is through March Vision they asked if its spelled like March the month or march like in a parade. I just say yes.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    While not necessarily a stupid question, the most appalling thing I've ever seen was a patient who brought their glass lenses back due to scratches and asked to have them replaced. I explained that glass lenses are not warranted against scratching, only breakage. The customer marched out the front door, slammed the eyewear on the sidewalk as hard as she could, brought them back in and said, "Now will you replace them?" Yes ~ Yes I did ... someone who would even think to do such a thing, is not a person with whom I want to tangle!
    "No one can help everyone,
    but everyone can help someone."
    -- Anonymous

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Decades View Post
    While not necessarily a stupid question, the most appalling thing I've ever seen was a patient who brought their glass lenses back due to scratches and asked to have them replaced. I explained that glass lenses are not warranted against scratching, only breakage. The customer marched out the front door, slammed the eyewear on the sidewalk as hard as she could, brought them back in and said, "Now will you replace them?" Yes ~ Yes I did ... someone who would even think to do such a thing, is not a person with whom I want to tangle!
    Seriously? I would have asked them if I look like a clown, am I here for their amusement. I will bend over backwards if I think what I've provided them as glasses is even 10% at possible cause for the damage to their glasses, but that?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Decades View Post
    This is my type of woman, he deserved to get those lens replaced for his witty response. I seriously LOL'd so hard when I read this.
    Last edited by King of the Lab; 10-26-2017 at 05:16 PM. Reason: gender correction
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    “Last name Houston. Spelled like Texas.”

me: “Wouldn’t you pronounce it like “Texas” then?”

She was not amused.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optigrrl View Post
    Stupidest question, and I seem to get this one periodically:

"Why do my glasses move up and down when I do this?" (Pt. is moving glasses up and down with their hands)

On an aside, this doesn't pertain to stupid questions but I feel it must be said, but don't you hate it when a patient comes in, opens a battered eyeglass case to show you frame catastrophe and they say: "I opened up the case, and the glasses were just like this!"

(I actually told a customer once that I would fix up the glasses and replace the case...it MUST be defective.)
    :drop:
    Whenever someone presents broken glasses for repair and asks me, “What makes that happen,” my response is always the same. Straight deadpan, “gremlins.”

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Klean View Post
    Whenever someone presents broken glasses for repair and asks me, “What makes that happen,” my response is always the same. Straight deadpan, “gremlins.”
    Glasses Gnomes are real bro. They come in the middle of the night and abuse your glasses to point of no return. How else would a patients glasses get messed up? They didn't do it of course!
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Lab View Post
    Glasses Gnomes are real bro. They come in the middle of the night and abuse your glasses to point of no return. How else would a patients glasses get messed up? They didn't do it of course!
    That would explain "All I did was open the case and it was like that!" (After bringing in a completely mangled pair of specs)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    This past Friday:
    Patient: I need an adjustment for my frame. They need to be melted and made to fit better.
    Me: (straight face response) I can help you with that.
    (Internally: that's a new request...)

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Girl comes in and starts looking at frames-

"Welcome! Can I help you find anything?"

"Do you carry Warby Parker?"

Pause. "No, I'm sorry. That is an online company."

"They have stores."

"Well, yes I do believe they have one store... in Boston or New York or something."

As it turns out they DO have stores, plural, but be assured- the name above my store does not resemble that of the big WP.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Lab View Post
    This is my type of guy, he deserved to get those lens replaced for his witty response. I seriously LOL'd so hard when I read this.
    It's definitely funny now ~ and I'm glad to have given you a good laugh. At the time however, I was speechless, especially because it was a WOMAN who did it. I can be one tough customer myself, but it would never occur to me to do such a thing. Personally, I think it takes a special kind of crazy to do something like that (as in, bunny boiling, postal crazy).
    "No one can help everyone,
    but everyone can help someone."
    -- Anonymous

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Had a customer come in to try on frames, I provided a tray for her to keep favorites in, but she never used it. Instead, she insisted on putting the temples in her mouth. I let her know that that was probably not the most sanitary thing she could be doing. She replied with "it's fine, I always do this."

eww.

There's a lady in my area, wandering around, eating everyone's frames.
    -Poly is the best substrate for coatings.
    -Poly is extremely scratch resistant.
    -Poly is extremely impact resistant.
    -Poly is unparalleled in clarity.
    -Poly is much lighter than traditional crown glass.
    Like poly, you can trust me about 40% of the time.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by McAnerin View Post
    Had a customer come in to try on frames, I provided a tray for her to keep favorites in, but she never used it. Instead, she insisted on putting the temples in her mouth. I let her know that that was probably not the most sanitary thing she could be doing. She replied with "it's fine, I always do this."

eww.

There's a lady in my area, wandering around, eating everyone's frames.
    Barfff.... Seriously, What is wrong with people???

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Sure, you can put YOUR glasses in your mouth. You ate it, you bought it. Will that be Visa or American Express?"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm digging up this old thread because I just got one I wasn't expecting from a hobby. So, I'm also a competitive pinball player and on a facebook group for a league that I am a part of I just had to deal with this:
    "I just used novus 2 on my eye glasses. came out great. super happy ! They were super cloudy from scratches. Anyone else ever do this ??"

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pt after trying on every frame in the place: "I"ll get a new frame, right? I don't want a frame that other people have tried on."
    Me: "Should I throw out all those frames that you've tried on?"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    Maybe not a stupid question, but why oh why do all super large headed men want round glasses
    Because they are OhiO fans......

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    Pt after trying on every frame in the place: "I"ll get a new frame, right? I don't want a frame that other people have tried on."
    Me: "Should I throw out all those frames that you've tried on?"
    I always will order a new frame for someone if they request it, they will have to be aware of backorders, shipping time etc. If they are using a managed care plan (of which I take less and less of every year) they absolutley positively must pay shipping.

I've asked them if they do the same thing in clothing stores before, but now I worry I come off as a smart *** if I do that so I don't.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just had a woman ask if we could print the word "ACETATE" across the bottom of her new lenses.

Thread Information