Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is The Stupidest Question You Have Been Asked

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, I saw it, don't know how I missed it.

OptiBoard Novice
    How about "Hey, doc, do they have any new bifocal toroidal contact lenses out that I can try?" Doctor calmly replies "Nope, not yet."

Or "Are my special order contact lenses in yet? They had to order special ones for me because I have that autism in one eye"

OK, folks....why is astigmatism such a hard word???:hammer: :hammer:
    :bbg: TigerLily ABOC/NCLEC:bbg:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    "I can't wear contact lenses because of my stigmata"

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The one I love is when I used to teach contact lens fitting to residents. Whenever I told them who I was and what I did to a man they always said: "Yeah K readings." I guess this was to let me know they knew all about contact lenses.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Lady: "Do you carry this kind of frame?" holds up Cartier rimless
    Me: "No, we do not but I do use the Cartier approved lab for edging."
    Lady: "How long will it take to put in new lenses?"
    Me: "The lab tells us the standard is 3 weeks."
    Lady: "Well, so-and-so chain optical says they can do it in a week!" "Will you get me their number so I can call them?"
    Me: "No Ma'am. I will not." "Make sure they don't try to use the wrong parts, they won't mount correctly!"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ory
    "I can't wear contact lenses because of my stigmata"
    How about, "I have to see an ophthalmologist because I have a stigma."?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    FJ are you sure it wasn't because of her stigmata?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist

stupidest statement by a patient

Examined a woman today. She refused a glaucoma test. She said her sister had glaucoma but, "she didn't get it til she was 85, so I don't need it". The patient was 78.

Understand why you can't trust a patient's judgement?...or what they say about their eyecare practitioner.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Although it's not a question, I am constantly irritated by the -2.00 myope/+2.00 presbyope who announces he is about to undergo refractive surgery: "I hope you don't mind wearing reading glasses" I tell them. "oh, says mr. myope, I don't need glasses to read." Takes off his glasses to "demonstrate" his brilliant ability to read WITHOUT GLASSES. "well, I tell him, you'll need glasses to read after your surgery if you want good distance vision." Mr. myope, speaking slowly, because he has decided he is speaking to a dull witted eyeglass salesman, repeates "No ,you don't understand, I don't NEED glasses to read." whereby he demonstrates, again, his remarkable talent for reading without the aid of those wretched spectacles all those OTHER people use to read. I usually give it one more try to make them understand they aren't medical miracles, and they will need glasses to read, then give up and let nature take its course. One guy actually came back to ask when his reading vision would return.

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a lady a couple months ago pick up her SV anti glare, maybe a -2.00 OU, and when she put them on, she says, "These are TOO clear." I thought she was kidding. We had to CONVINCE her to try out the AR, but she still brought them back, so we remade them with NO AR and a brown #2 solid. :hammer:

Another patient was looking at sunglasses and asked some questions about polarized lenses. "If these glasses are dark, what do people do at night?"

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson
    Although it's not a question, I am constantly irritated by the -2.00 myope/+2.00 presbyope who announces he is about to undergo refractive surgery: "I hope you don't mind wearing reading glasses" I tell them. "oh, says mr. myope, I don't need glasses to read." Takes off his glasses to "demonstrate" his brilliant ability to read WITHOUT GLASSES. "well, I tell him, you'll need glasses to read after your surgery if you want good distance vision." Mr. myope, speaking slowly, because he has decided he is speaking to a dull witted eyeglass salesman, repeates "No ,you don't understand, I don't NEED glasses to read." whereby he demonstrates, again, his remarkable talent for reading without the aid of those wretched spectacles all those OTHER people use to read. I usually give it one more try to make them understand they aren't medical miracles, and they will need glasses to read, then give up and let nature take its course. One guy actually came back to ask when his reading vision would return.
    I can't count the number of myopic people I have explained this to. I can ususally get them to understand. I ask if they can read with the distance only in their glasses and contacts. They tell me no, and I tell them when the doctor corrects their distance it will be like wearing their glasses without actually wearing them. The only reason they can see up close is because they are nearsighted.

Even if they realize that they will need near correction they often think it is just a minor thing. I tell them that everything within 2 to 3 feet will be blurry by the time they are 50 or soon afterwards.

I am about a -2.25 myope and I would NEVER have lasik.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've had a mothers who as I was making thier child a prosthesis, ask: "When will he be ready for a transplant."

Don't you think the doctor oughta, prep them a little at the time of ennucleation?

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    I've had a mothers who as I was making thier child a prosthesis, ask: "When will he be ready for a transplant."

Don't you think the doctor oughta, prep them a little at the time of ennucleation?

Chip
    Like I said in a previous post. Don't assume the doctor didn't.

I've had patients whom I've educated on a particular subject, and even given it to them in writing...and they come back the next day with all the facts WRONG.

Bad address email on file Alteaon's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One of our patients returned her glasses. She was convinced that we were "tricky" and had installed tiny cameras on her glasses/in her lenses so we could spy on her. They were "tricky" glasses.

There are always those who have never worn contacts, but have tried on thier cousin's/friend's...

I also love the patient who tries to order progressives over the phone, and they've never had them before, " Just pick out a frame and do it."

The biggest thorn in my side lately is patient's who do not have back up glasses. They call because they are blind and out of contacts! I think that the right to wear contacts should be revoked for some people. I am not talking about the people who have different circumstances, but rather the pt who wears a two week lens for a year and a half and when it finally dies doesn't understand why they can't just get a new one " just this one time".

Patients who come in fifteen minutes late for thier appointment and wonder why they can't be seen.

Patients who travel from neighboring town and get upset when they cannot get an exam/glasses/contacts the same day. They choose where they live, and they choose where they do business. why do they think they should get some special treatment because they drove for a whole twenty minutes with out calling first? And no, I"m not going to call another patient to reschedule because of your stupidity and inconsideration!

Ugh

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Alteaon
    One of our patients returned her glasses. She was convinced that we were "tricky" and had installed tiny cameras on her glasses/in her lenses so we could spy on her. They were "tricky" glasses.

There are always those who have never worn contacts, but have tried on thier cousin's/friend's...

I also love the patient who tries to order progressives over the phone, and they've never had them before, " Just pick out a frame and do it."

The biggest thorn in my side lately is patient's who do not have back up glasses. They call because they are blind and out of contacts! I think that the right to wear contacts should be revoked for some people. I am not talking about the people who have different circumstances, but rather the pt who wears a two week lens for a year and a half and when it finally dies doesn't understand why they can't just get a new one " just this one time".

Patients who come in fifteen minutes late for thier appointment and wonder why they can't be seen.

Patients who travel from neighboring town and get upset when they cannot get an exam/glasses/contacts the same day. They choose where they live, and they choose where they do business. why do they think they should get some special treatment because they drove for a whole twenty minutes with out calling first? And no, I"m not going to call another patient to reschedule because of your stupidity and inconsideration!

Ugh
    Yea, the back up glasses thing bugs me death and doesn't it seem like they're always going out of town and have to have contacts RIGHT NOW!!!!

I too had a person in last week for a contact fitting and they proceded to tell me that he had tried contacts on his wedding day-they were his Dad's and he didn't want to have to wear his glasses when he got married. I almost freaked out on him.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stupid questions

Do you sell contacticals?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    So you replace the frame under warranty 18 months later after purchase.

18 months after the replacement - Why are they not under warranty, I just got them 18 months ago.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thumbs down Guess it must fun to point the finger......................

I am wondering why this thread about stupidity has become one of the longer living ones ....................plus one of the ones, with the most post's I have seen in a long time.

Guess it must fun to point the finger at our stupid customers...............

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stick out tongue

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    I am wondering why this thread about stupidity has become one of the longer living ones ....................plus one of the ones, with the most post's I have seen in a long time.

Guess it must fun to point the finger at our stupid customers...............
    Well, Chris, this is the scoop:

As opticians, we not only must have the knowledge and experience in the field of optics but also the knowledge and experience of a psychologist, a psychoanalyist, a councellor (and councillor), a theologian, a politician, a mediator, a negotiator, an MD (and OD), just to name a few of the occupations and professions we, as opticians are expected to be well versed in to dispense a pair of glasses and maintain our client base.( And, I should add here, for a fraction of the salary any of the professions listed are paid).

By the longevity of this thread it shows that people are the same wherever the posters may be. We gain a sense of 'togetherness' when we read a post and are able to say to ourselves, "Gees, I had THAT VERY SAME CLIENT JUST YESTERDAY!!!!" (Or, in my case, "Hey, we're ALL living in the Twilight Zone!")

Chris, I don't really think this thread is so much about 'pointing the finger at our stupid customers' but rather that these are the situations which occur on a daily basis throughout the retail optical world. Its a good thing to know that other opticians work with intelligence-insulting clients besides me. (And maybe some less-experienced opticians begin to realize that client who just made a largesse attempt at insulting his optician's intelligence really just succeeded in insulting his own.)

Perhaps its time I started a thread that, instead of eliciting a few chuckles, will produce that 'warm fuzzy feeling' we all get when a client does something nice for us. Coming soon to this forum, "THAT WARM FUZZY FEELING..."

:cheers:
    Last edited by Cindy K; 05-28-2006 at 10:03 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you forgot Magician! We are expected to be Magician's too!!
    :D Eyegrrl

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

question

Just happened today, called mr jones to tell him his glass were ready

Mr. Jones " tnx, i,ll call back and make an appointment to pick them up"

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On monday, memorial day, A girl came in and said she wanted to buy some CL's. "are you on file?" "No but I know the numbers."

"well I need your prescription to be able to sell them to you, Legally"
    "well what am I supposed to do? I dont have any glasses and I only have one Contact in!":finger:

Bad address email on file Alteaon's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's classic....

Another is when someone wants to order contacts and when you ask for thier Rx, they plop thier glasses down on the counter. It's not so much that they may not understand that contact Rx and Eyeglass Rx's differ, but many times they get a smug attitude about wanting you to get the Rx off thier glasses.

Sometimes our patients become downright beligerent with us when we won't fill an expired Rx...and if we ask them to wear thier glasses until they can schedule an exam, they act as if the Earth just fell off it's axis.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahMP584
    On monday, memorial day, A girl came in and said she wanted to buy some CL's. "are you on file?" "No but I know the numbers."

"well I need your prescription to be able to sell them to you, Legally"
    "well what am I supposed to do? I dont have any glasses and I only have one Contact in!":finger:
    I get this all the time and it drives me crazy. They call and want to order contacts and I tell them I don't have them in stock and have to order them and they freak out telling me they're wearing their last pair and one is ripped. I asked them if they have glasses and it's either they lost them or they're broken. It's the same thing everytime. Or they need a new exam before ordering contacts and it's my fault that I can't get them in today because they're going out of town tomorrow. Sorry.

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The other day I was fitting up a lady with PALs and after I took my measurement she picked up the reading card and looking at the card said " everything burry on this card."

Thread Information