Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 36414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1204

Thread: What Is The Stupidest Question You Have Been Asked

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a patient come back a week after I adjusted her glasses tighter, she said now there is a bigger problem, skin cancer. She now has a lump and dry flakey skin. I looked and saw a red sore. She argued it was cancer, not a sore. I gave her a magnifier mirror, so she could see the sore. Finally she saw it, but then asked what the flakey skin was. I asked what the skin disorder on her arms was, she said, exzyma. I said, OK, its not cancer, but looks like a sore and exzyma..go see your dermatologist. I swear I've never been accused of giving someone cancer in an adjustment from one week ago.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Yesterday I fielded a phone call from a customer who claimed my colleague had "ruined" her old glasses. My colleague had cleaned her lenses.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sometimes I'm happy to still make money doing this, sometimes I don't think we make enough.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We had an elderly gentleman just told our receptionist that his vision was getting pretty bad, and asked if he needed to see the doctor to get one of those handicapped signs. He also wanted to know if we have a sticker for his rear window that says "Caution: Blind Driver"! Our receptionist said she looked around to see if she was being punked, but this guy was totally serious!
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by apriljos View Post
    Hows this one ..when a pt askes if they can fill their subscription from their obstetrician...lol
    I have a grandmother who still thinks I deliver babies. 20 years gramma, no babies delivered...

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A patient came in wanting to find a frame he could put lenses in. His glasses were done for and he did not want to schedule an exam. I am always up for a challenge so I finally find a frame to fit the lenses in almost perfectly. I show him and he isnt very excited about the style. He picks a random frame up and says well you cant use these? I say no sir, this lense is way too small to fit this frame . He says, Oh it has to fit?
    "O_O"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe not a stupid question, but why oh why do all super large headed men want round glasses
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

OptiBoard Professional ThePinkRanger's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Do I have to give a urine sample?"

Literally 5 seconds ago to the receptionist. dead.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Should I be at my normal alcohol content level for my glasses to work correctly?"

She walked out while waiting for the doctor and came in with an overwhelming smell of alcohol.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bta89 View Post
    "Should I be at my normal alcohol content level for my glasses to work correctly?"

She walked out while waiting for the doctor and came in with an overwhelming smell of alcohol.
    She actually probably had a point you know. Blood pressure would be out of wack otherwise.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Can I have a 10% AARP discount on my plan copays?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "why can't I see far away through my bifocal?" "Can you tell me what my insurance is ?" "can i get this frame without the logo on the side /or with different arms?" ....
    "One should either be a work of art or wear a work of art" - Oscar Wilde

OptiBoard Professional ThePinkRanger's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-Eyes View Post
    "why can't I see far away through my bifocal?" "Can you tell me what my insurance is ?" "can i get this frame without the logo on the side /or with different arms?" ....
    Yes love when they start designing FrankenFrames! Arms, stems, bows, legs...

I had 2 different people asking for replacement noseguards today.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My personal favourite is when i have a little old lady in her 90's come in with her deceased Husbands glasses that he purchased 15 years ago, that she wants to return, as he no longer requires them as he is deceased. And cant understand why i cant give her a refund!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "What does having to measure my pupils have to do with my glasses. I don't need glasses for my pupils"

OptiBoard Professional Jamelina's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Years ago, I had a lady constantly calling inquiring about frame information. She knew what she wanted (a line we didn't carry, nor could I get) so she proceeded to send me pictures of what she liked so I could hold a few styles we had aside for her. After spending hours, literally, working with her she asked me if I could leave the office and accompany her to several other offices to find her the perfect pair of glasses. I had to put her on hold because I couldn't help but laugh. When I explained to her why I wasn't able to, she was floored. She just couldn't understand why I couldn't take her shopping during my work day.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love that this thread is 10 years old.

I had a guy come in and ask me why the lenses were making his eyes swell up. I told him they won't and he pulls out a picture of one eye that looked like he had some severe allergic reaction. I asked if he had any allergies and he said none that he was aware of, but this had never happened before so it must have been his new glasses.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    +From a woman browsing the frame board: "Why are the lenses in this pair so dark?" Because they're sunglasses.
    +While dispensing contacts to a woman, I told her that the box for her right eye was marked with an 'R'. She asked, "Is that my right eye, or your right eye?" I answered that my prescription was different, so it would be hers.
    +Also while dispensing contacts, and telling the woman that the OD box was marked with an 'R', she asked if I could mark the left one, too, so she didn't get them mixed up....If one box was for the right eye, where did she think the others were going to go? I really wanted to tell her that the whole "third eye" thing is just a euphemism, an people generally don't need a contact lens for it.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm not necessarily saying that the optician in question wasn't a twit, but as a former "big box" optician, I can tell you that this may not have been a matter of a lack of intelligence. "Big box" is so worried about getting sued, that at one time, they wouldn't allow us to make ANY changes to an Rx, even if it was a matter of simple math.

Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    Maybe a little off topic as its not a patient, but i had a patient recently walk with an RX that was +plano with a +2.25 add OU ... they took it to *big box* and *big box* called me because they needed the reading RX written to make her a pair of single vision readers ...

is it wrong to tell patients that if the optician cant do this kind of math they probably shouldnt be getting their glasses there??!! i feel like its kind of like transposing +cyl and any optician should be able to do it??? or am i becoming an old curmudgeon

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a walk in person the other day in my dispensary. She asked for help looking for petite frames. I asked who did her prescription, and it wasn't us, so I informed her we didn't take outside prescriptions. She said, "don't worry, I'm getting them made at Lenscrafters". With further discussion, she said their frames weren't small enough. So I showed her a petite style. She then asked, "can you put a progressive in this?". I told her that whoever makes her lenses would decide that. She then asked that if they wouldn't use the frame could she get a refund. Really?
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    I had a walk in person the other day in my dispensary. She asked for help looking for petite frames. I asked who did her prescription, and it wasn't us, so I informed her we didn't take outside prescriptions. She said, "don't worry, I'm getting them made at Lenscrafters". With further discussion, she said their frames weren't small enough. So I showed her a petite style. She then asked, "can you put a progressive in this?". I told her that whoever makes her lenses would decide that. She then asked that if they wouldn't use the frame could she get a refund. Really?
    Really curious
    1. Why would you not take an outside RX?
    2. If you would take two minutes of your time to determine if a PAL would work and you would have made who knows $000.00 why not do it?
    3. No refund??? If the frame comes back say within a week or so and in new condition why not?
    You guys must be really flush with cash?? Really!!!!!!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    Really curious
    1. Why would you not take an outside RX?
    2. If you would take two minutes of your time to determine if a PAL would work and you would have made who knows $000.00 why not do it?
    3. No refund??? If the frame comes back say within a week or so and in new condition why not?
    You guys must be really flush with cash?? Really!!!!!!!
    +1

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1...............and then on another note, someone just called here and said "I got your message that my sunglasses are in, is there any chance my sunglasses are in?" I thought it was a joke, but he persisted and got upset...I am befuddled.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Not a question, but something we actually ended up doing just to get the person out of our store: Picture jheri curls dripping with juice.

The medicine leaked out of my glasses and stained my shirt. Y'all need to pay for the dry cleaning!
    Pause.......go to the office.....close door......laugh until I cry......compose......
    Not a problem sir. Do you have a copy of the receipt? Great. Here is your refund.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Not a question, but something we actually ended up doing just to get the person out of our store: Picture jheri curls dripping with juice.

The medicine leaked out of my glasses and stained my shirt. Y'all need to pay for the dry cleaning!
    Pause.......go to the office.....close door......laugh until I cry......compose......
    Not a problem sir. Do you have a copy of the receipt? Great. Here is your refund.
    Thanks a lot---NOT!!!

You just validated that this can happen so when I have to deal with him and am told there's absolutely no refund due, I'm the one who has to deal with it!!!*

*Oh to be able to wash my hands of patients like this!

Thread Information