Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 293435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is The Stupidest Question You Have Been Asked

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Manual View Post
    Just got a phone call...

"I lost my glasses in the snow, is that covered under warranty?"
    I get that all the time except its usually along the lines of, I just stood on my glasses case and it broke can you replace it for free?? Oh and by the way the glasses were inside... they can't be very good quality because they broke too... So I think you should replace them with better quality ones.

My reply, huh??!?!?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am glad to see that the post I started 6 years ago is still going.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    I get that all the time except its usually along the lines of, I just stood on my glasses case and it broke can you replace it for free?? Oh and by the way the glasses were inside... they can't be very good quality because they broke too... So I think you should replace them with better quality ones.

My reply, huh??!?!?
    We get a fair amount of "My husband plowed his glasses under, is that covered?"

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe not the dumbest question, but one of my favorite:

pt walks in with broken glasses, " I need a screw"

lol, so many times when I want to answer back and say we aren't a optometry that offers happy endings. lol.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    oh, and one that I get everyday when I answer the phones:

"When is the soonest available appointment I can get in?"

and I give them the date of the soonest appointment

and then they reply

"you don't have anything sooner?"

(yeah, since you said that, a sooner date magically showed up on our schedule. ugh.)

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalOoley View Post
    oh, and one that I get everyday when I answer the phones:

"When is the soonest available appointment I can get in?"

and I give them the date of the soonest appointment

and then they reply

"you don't have anything sooner?"

(yeah, since you said that, a sooner date magically showed up on our schedule. ugh.)
    Or when would you like to come in and they say anytime is good but you spend the next 10 freaking minutes discovering that anytime is not good at all!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Or when would you like to come in and they say anytime is good but you spend the next 10 freaking minutes discovering that anytime is not good at all!
    when i get patietns like that i give them two options and then say "clearly what i have isn't good for you, so i really need you to just narrow down a time that will work for you so i can find you the next available appointment"

that little dance gets me like no other ... or "well i don't have my schedule with me so i'll have to call you back" for real dude? why did you call in the first place?????
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I had someone ask me today, "Are these glasses bisexual?"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    I had someone ask me today, "Are these glasses bisexual?"
    I've had that before. Then I got the "Where are the unisex glasses?" Turns out it was a guy in the middle of a sex change who wanted something that would work for before and after. Interesting.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have Optomap; takes a picture of the inside of the eye. I get this patient lined up but she's a fast blinker. So I tell her I'll snap the photo on the count of three.

So I say: "One, two- "click-flash."

She says "I thought you said you'd count to three?" I said I was trying to surprise her, catch her off guard by snapping it on two. (I figured she was anticipating the click-flash)

But alas, still get a picture of her eyelid. Okay, plan B: I give the patient the control/clicker; sometimes they do better if they can take the photo themselves.

So I'm getting her lined up again, telling her that as soon as she's in position .....

"CLICK-SNAP"

I'm like: uhhh, I didn't have you lined up.

She says, seriously: Oh, I'm sorry, I was trying to surprise myself.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyley View Post
    We have Optomap; takes a picture of the inside of the eye. I get this patient lined up but she's a fast blinker. So I tell her I'll snap the photo on the count of three.

So I say: "One, two- "click-flash."

She says "I thought you said you'd count to three?" I said I was trying to surprise her, catch her off guard by snapping it on two. (I figured she was anticipating the click-flash)

But alas, still get a picture of her eyelid. Okay, plan B: I give the patient the control/clicker; sometimes they do better if they can take the photo themselves.

So I'm getting her lined up again, telling her that as soon as she's in position .....

"CLICK-SNAP"

I'm like: uhhh, I didn't have you lined up.

She says, seriously: Oh, I'm sorry, I was trying to surprise myself.
    THIS just made my day. I love how after explaining clearly that they have to not blink for just a few seconds, they continue to blink then blame me or the machine. It's the same people who want to sit back and ask a question or talk during a visual field test. 8)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I get a lot of people who come in and say something like "I'm missing a screw, can you help me?" My response is always to say, without missing a beat "I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you're screwed."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    walk-in customer came in and asked:

customer: I have that spectacular insurance, do you take that?
    me: do you mean Spectera?
    customer: yeah, that one!
    me: oh law'd

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I love when this thread gets resurrected. One of these days I'm going to go back and re-read it from the top.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    This is the thread that will never die.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OUR 3PM APPT called this morning... "yeah, I woke up and my eye is really red, I need to reschedule....."

Wow, AMAZING logic at work right there... cancel the dr appt. because your sick....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sometimes we get women in who CAN'T pick out a frame without their husband. I had a lady in once and we picked out a pair that was very flattering, fit great and was under her budget. But she has to have hubby see them before she purchases them.

He comes in with her the next night. I kid you not: he proceeds to have her try on frames he is picking out- ALL OF THEM MEN'S FRAMES!!!

What's with that!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyley View Post
    Sometimes we get women in who CAN'T pick out a frame without their husband. I had a lady in once and we picked out a pair that was very flattering, fit great and was under her budget. But she has to have hubby see them before she purchases them.

He comes in with her the next night. I kid you not: he proceeds to have her try on frames he is picking out- ALL OF THEM MEN'S FRAMES!!!

What's with that!!!

i feel the same way when they say "oh i want to come back with someone to help me" ... umm that's what i'm here for chief. then they bring their friends, and all they do is screw around for an hour trying on the most ridiculous stuff then accuse us of not having what she's looking for. maybe leave it to the professionals mm'kay?
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So apparently some of our patients really struggle with how the Optomap works. I guess they don't understand what we are trying to accomplish or they simply aren't listening.

One man who was too busy gabbing to listen to the tech who was instructing him, turned around. leaned back, and started to whack the back of his head up against the eye piece. The Tech, startled, cried, "Eyes Mr. Smith! not brains. We are checking eyes today!"

Last week another patient sat down in front of the machine and tried to cover the entire eye piece with her mouth!!!! WTH???? I wish I was making this up!
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Just wondering how and why a thread that is ridiculing the customers of a profession, can become one of the most successful ones on a public forum and just go on and on.
    Probably because its REAL life stories. You just can't make this stuff up!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I just had a patient come in to pick up her new glasses. Took off her old glasses to try on the new one and had a "Whoa!" response to her new 2.50 diopters of cylinder. I explained that, with that much astigmatism, it might be a bit of an adjustment to get used to the new RX. That's when I went to put her old glasses in her new case and saw that they were off-the-rack glasses with demo lenses in them.

I've seen people who don't need glasses wear them for fashion, but never before have I seen someone with a critical need for prescription eyewear walking around with non-prescription glasses.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I just had a patient come in to pick up her new glasses. Took off her old glasses to try on the new one and had a "Whoa!" response to her new 2.50 diopters of cylinder. I explained that, with that much astigmatism, it might be a bit of an adjustment to get used to the new RX. That's when I went to put her old glasses in her new case and saw that they were off-the-rack glasses with demo lenses in them.

I've seen people who don't need glasses wear them for fashion, but never before have I seen someone with a critical need for prescription eyewear walking around with non-prescription glasses.
    That's actually frightening. Did she come back saying her new glasses were too strong?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor_who10 View Post
    That's actually frightening. Did she come back saying her new glasses were too strong?
    Nope. Just walked out happy with her new lenses. I remain baffled.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Thankfully, this one didn't happen to me, but a customer came in a while back and demanded that we return her glasses onto a different credit card from the one that had been used to purchase them. When she was told that we wouldn't do that (because credit card fraud is slightly illegal) she began to yell at the manager. Sometimes I wish I knew what went through these peoples' heads.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This really isn't a question patient asked but...

Patient came in and needed her glasses adjusted. I proceeded to adjust them and she starts getting all excited. "Be careful, you're going to break them! Are you sure you know what you are doing??" she says loud enough for everyone in the dispensary to hear.

I sigh, stare at her for a minute, then say "Mom, I've been doing this a long, long time now. It's okay. They'll be fine."

(....yes, it really was my mother. You should have seen the other opticians trying not to laugh...)

Thread Information