Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 27323334353637383940414247 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is The Stupidest Question You Have Been Asked

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please tell me that I'm not the only one that has had a patient tell them that they have "immaculate generation". I had to turn my back to the poor woman to stifle the giggle.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by junebuggy View Post
    Please tell me that I'm not the only one that has had a patient tell them that they have "immaculate generation". I had to turn my back to the poor woman to stifle the giggle.

Oh my gosh, I'm laughing so hard that I'm crying, and yet my husband doesn't get why this is so funny. I think this one beats them all!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by junebuggy View Post
    that is a good one...

OptiBoard Professional Jamelina's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pt brings me a metal frame explaining that they are too tight. As I'm making my adjustments he tells me that I "need to first put them in the fire". He wasn't kidding. That's a first for me!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry if this is ill suited to this thread but I wanted to share.

Just when you think you've heard it all...

A pt today was bragging to me how she gets more than 30 wears out of her planned replacement contact lenses. She said after about 25 days when they get "all gunky" she just washes them with Johnson's baby shampoo (the No tears formula of course) then soaks overnight them like normal. That was a new one for me! :)
    Last edited by opty4062; 01-07-2013 at 07:55 PM. Reason: kin't spel

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by opty4062 View Post

A pt today was bragging to me how she gets more than 30 wears out of her planned replacement contact lenses. She said after about 25 days when they get "all gunky" she just washes them with Johnson's baby shampoo (the No tears formula of course) then soaks overnight them like normal. That was a new one for me! :)
    The next time somebody says something like that to me I'm going to tell them I do the same thing with my condoms.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I love when patients brag about doing stupid stuff. I wonder how many people go to their doctors and are like, "I smoke two packs a day, eat fast food for my 3 squares, and I weight 300 pounds. I'm not dead yet, so you all must be wrong about living healthy!"

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Um.....

I first moved to the South three years ago and I was mystified when a woman came in asking if I sold glassed that came with "medicine" in them. I had to ask another optician what the heck she was talking about.

Another favorite moment....an office I once worked at was next to a dentist office. A gal walked in and asked if we had any samples of floss even though she was surrounded by eyewear then proceeded to try to schedule a cleaning.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @Kallen, welcome to the south, brother. At least once a month we deal with "the medicine ran out of my glasses" story. Bless their hearts. :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @Kallen, welcome to the south, brother. At least once a month we deal with "the medicine ran out of my glasses" story. Bless their hearts. :)
    This is just hilarious to me! The Dr's that I work for both went to optomety school @ the Southern School of Optometry in Memphis, TN . When they first told me of this "phenom" I thought they were joking! Now I see it ALL OVER Optiboard! hahahaha
    ~N

"The sands of time have already begun to pour against you.." ~Aaron D Yates

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Older woman comes into the shop, walker and all. I ran up to help.

"Good morning, how can I help you?"

"I need new teeth"

"But I only do eyes"

"But I need teeth"

"........c'mon over and have a seat, I'll get the phone book"

We sat down, I found a dentist right down the street, she shuffled out and that's the end of my story.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A mom brought her daughter (about 4 yrs old) in for an exam and found out she needed correction for her +4.00 RX. The daughter had never worn glasses before and was loath to even try any frames on. After finally picking some out, we made the glasses and fitted them to the little girl who took them off as soon as we were done. We get a call about a week later from the very distressed mother.
    "My daughter won't wear her glasses and I think it's because she can't see out of them! My son who wears glasses tried them on and he can't see through them, and then I looked through the lenses and I couldn't see either! We need to fix her prescription or I want a refund!"

Even though in my head I was thinking, "well duh you can't see through her glasses!" I told her I would pull their records and see what I could find out. When I compared the RX's, the mom doesn't need correction, and the son's RX is a -2.00 sph! When I explained why she wouldn't be able to see out of her daughter's lenses and that the strong RX was actually correct, she seemed to calm down. For those of you that are curious, we did eventually get the little girl to wear her glasses and she loves them now. Happy ending!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NUECoptical View Post
    A mom brought her daughter (about 4 yrs old) in for an exam and found out she needed correction for her +4.00 RX. The daughter had never worn glasses before and was loath to even try any frames on. After finally picking some out, we made the glasses and fitted them to the little girl who took them off as soon as we were done. We get a call about a week later from the very distressed mother.
    "My daughter won't wear her glasses and I think it's because she can't see out of them! My son who wears glasses tried them on and he can't see through them, and then I looked through the lenses and I couldn't see either! We need to fix her prescription or I want a refund!"

Even though in my head I was thinking, "well duh you can't see through her glasses!" I told her I would pull their records and see what I could find out. When I compared the RX's, the mom doesn't need correction, and the son's RX is a -2.00 sph! When I explained why she wouldn't be able to see out of her daughter's lenses and that the strong RX was actually correct, she seemed to calm down. For those of you that are curious, we did eventually get the little girl to wear her glasses and she loves them now. Happy ending!
    One of the most difficult fits I've ever done was on twin one year old girls. After going horse explaining why the girls needed plastic frames made specifically for tiny little heads, the mother refused to get anything other than metal frames because she didn't want the girls suffering later on in life because they were teased because of their glasses.

How about the poop in their diapers? How was that working for them? It was the worst fit ever, and after weeks of back and forth, she decided on frames that were more suited for a seven year old, and of course, they didn't fit well. The straw that finally broke the camel's back, was as they were leaving after the dispense, the girls' doctor came out to see the kids, and then lectured me on how the frames didn't fit very well, blah blah. AFter the mother left, I explained the situation to the doctor, who then appologized for making me look like an idiot in front of the patient. I was very happy to wash my hands of that job.

Occupation
    Optometrist

(Click on image to enlarge.)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_lohmlkWdDR1qzma4ho1_500.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	9322

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I explained why she wouldn't be able to see out of her daughter's lenses and that the strong RX was actually correct, she seemed to calm down. For those of you that are curious, we did eventually get the little girl to wear her glasses and she loves them now. Happy ending!
    Genuine ignorance doesn't faze me. Like you, I don't mind explaining the difference between plus and minus lenses. I'm also quite capable of going into lecture mode... AKA "bore the carp out of them until they say thanks, goodbye." It's a tedious skill, but can be useful.

Here we go: Woman comes in for her glasses and BEFORE I EVEN GET THEM OUT OF THE CASE, she asks her stupid question:

"What if I don't like them?"

"In that case, you would definitely want to go back to your doctor to confirm that the prescription is correct."

"No, I don't mean that. I mean what if I just don't like them? Can I get a refund??"

Gah. Fortunately, she paid with Flex. I pretended to be stymied by the question and asked her to use her cell phone to confirm from Flex if her account would be credited. It took ages (patience, patience...) but Flex finally did tell her that NO her account would not be credited due to the expiration date. Checkmate.

She decided she liked them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post

"No, I don't mean that. I mean what if I just don't like them? Can I get a refund??"

Gah. Fortunately, she paid with Flex. I pretended to be stymied by the question and asked her to use her cell phone to confirm from Flex if her account would be credited. It took ages (patience, patience...) but Flex finally did tell her that NO her account would not be credited due to the expiration date. Checkmate.

She decided she liked them.
    What other business that makes a personalized medical device allows refunds? I'm trying to think of one but can't.

I'm glad she decided she liked them after finding she didn't have a way to back out. haha!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Varangian View Post
    (Click on image to enlarge.)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_lohmlkWdDR1qzma4ho1_500.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	9322

I heard this just the other day... my silly Mom! I had to quote and repost!!!
    ~N

"The sands of time have already begun to pour against you.." ~Aaron D Yates

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is there to much add power in these, or is it really that big?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    Is there to much add power in these, or is it really that big?
    Nice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Nice.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can't your office just buy the D&G frame that I want from another optical shop? That way I could use my vision insurance here.

Ginny

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeGJ View Post
    Can't your office just buy the D&G frame that I want from another optical shop? That way I could use my vision insurance here.

Ginny

Wow, that IS stupid.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Had mother who was devastated that her 8 year old perfect child needed glasses. She called up the day after pick up. She was screaming that the glasses were the worst workmanship of any product she had ever seen in her entire life!
    OK princess, I’ll bite, “What’s wrong with them?”
    “The edge thickness of the lenses is different at different points around the frame.”
    Tried to explain to her that most glasses are like that. If uniform edge thickness was the priority, her perfect child would have to have a spherical OU Rx, with a perfectly round frame and the frame PD would have to match perfect child’s PD. Or we could do planos in the current frame. Your choice.
    She didn’t believe me and I finally suggested that she look at several pairs of prescription glasses and see for herself. She wanted to talk to the prescribing doctor and I told her that I would have him call her. He just looked at me in disbelief and shook his head when I gave him the message.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    One of my patients this morning asked me to adjust her glasses so they would stay in place when she wore them on top of her head. I told her we would need to put a prosthetic nose up there for that to work.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    One of my patients this morning asked me to adjust her glasses so they would stay in place when she wore them on top of her head. I told her we would need to put a prosthetic nose up there for that to work.

Thread Information