Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is The Stupidest Question You Have Been Asked

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    More stupid people that stupid questions

I had one guys come off the streets (we used to be in a poorer section of Town). He asked what the cheapest pair he could get for his RX. I told him. He said "Good, make them and I will pay you when I pick them up." I said that we required a deposit. He told me that then he will buy somewhere else, I said fine. I am sure there is still an optician out there wondering if he should write that sale off.

Another lady came in and said she was here to pick up her glasses and gave this long confusing story about her insurance company. When I finally got her name, I recognized who she was. We used to have an optician who was paid commission, so he would sell the glasses and not ask for a deposit. It was her, who owed us $600 for two years!!! So I was happy to finally get payment, until she whipped out her cheque book. I said we do not take cheques. She got mad, and said she did not want to go to the bank. I said we take debit, Visa, Mastercard, and American Express. She stormed out and said she does not deal with them. A month later her husband came in with cash.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our store used to be located upstairs from a childs clothing store (downtown). We moved about year ago across the street to a wheelchair accessible, main floor location. Well this morning a long time customer came in, totally out of breath and ****** right off! He says "if I would have known you where located here I would never have come." I asked, "what do you mean? There are no longer any stairs to have to walk up." He replies "there's no free parking, and I'm gonna get a ticket!" I then explained that there were 2 parking garages less than a block away(2 hrs free parking.) He shouts "well that's like a mile away!!" And then starts in on a story about the one time he went into a neighboring store to by socks, and parked in a loading zone. When he came out of the store he noticed he had a $35 ticket on his windsheild. He quickly raced home and called the store (he had just visited) to tell them that they should have to pay the ticket, because of the lack of parking or that he would never by anything from them again! He was all red in the face, but I couldn't help but let out a giggle.

Something Wicked This WayComes AngryFish's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A mind now in focus

I like the customers who come in upset that their contact lens went behind their eye and into their brain.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryFish View Post
    I like the customers who come in upset that their contact lens went behind their eye and into their brain.
    What brain??:D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kaypaula View Post
    What about this: The medicine ran out of my glasses. I think that one is an ethnic maybe even geographical one, but I get it from time to time-- down here in the South :)

Paula
    LOL! That's hysterical :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Karenrp1956 View Post
    How about "I need a screw"?

Also, I had a man tell me that when he put on his glasses one temple went infront of his side burns and the other went in back.

Also an older woman of an interesting look, came in and told me she wanted to look younger, prettier and sexier. She wanted RED round frames. What do you do?
    LOL The Ugly Betty look is not exactly sexy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    More stupid people that stupid questions

I had one guys come off the streets (we used to be in a poorer section of Town). He asked what the cheapest pair he could get for his RX. I told him. He said "Good, make them and I will pay you when I pick them up." I said that we required a deposit. He told me that then he will buy somewhere else, I said fine. I am sure there is still an optician out there wondering if he should write that sale off.

Another lady came in and said she was here to pick up her glasses and gave this long confusing story about her insurance company. When I finally got her name, I recognized who she was. We used to have an optician who was paid commission, so he would sell the glasses and not ask for a deposit. It was her, who owed us $600 for two years!!! So I was happy to finally get payment, until she whipped out her cheque book. I said we do not take cheques. She got mad, and said she did not want to go to the bank. I said we take debit, Visa, Mastercard, and American Express. She stormed out and said she does not deal with them. A month later her husband came in with cash.
    HMMMMMMM Sounds like she was begging to write a bounced check, don't you just love slicksters like that? :finger:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ROFLMAO!!!! :drop:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I especially adore the customers who ask if the stickers advertising either the designer (e.g., "Salvatore Ferragamo") or the superior material the frame has been engineered from (e.g., "Stainless steel", "titanium alloy", etc.) will be placed on their actual grinded prescription lenses. :hammer:

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Oh please let me

Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    I have on one occasion brought ou my pliers and put them in front of the lady, and said"you do it, you must know how because you keep telling me how!" She shut up.

Oh please this is the absolute best one ever. If only I could do that just once and not get fired. Oh man. I am gonna do all this and more on my last week in the business. I have the most evil nasty mean...etc... customers in the world . From all over the world. Please let me do it.....oh the satisfaction you must have had......

Sorry has been a horrid week at work....patients are all so mean this week.

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Optowoman View Post
    Years ago I told a pt. to look at my nose, only instead of actually saying it I pointed to my nose and said look here. She crossed her eyes trying to look at her nose. I had to excuse myself with a coughing laugh fit.

Is this a California thing? I am still laughing as I literally get this one all the time. Or even as funny. I point to the center of my bridge and say look at my finger and they put their finger up there on themselves and look crosseyed......I can't keep still. It doesn't take much to make me crack up, usually just some of the sorry but "ugliest people in the universe" who place their noses actually touching the mirror and say
    " does this frame make me look better"? I would love to grab the mirror most every dispense and throw it on the floor.

Anyone out there ever turn the mirror sideways as your handing over the glasses to try and discourage the pt from turning profile on you for the adjustment?

That really bugs the heck out of me.......:angry:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

huh

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Nancy View Post
    Our job is to generate income for our Doctors.
    "Get the money, keep the money."
    If you don't like your job, or the people with whom you work, GET ANOTHER JOB!
    Bankrupting, slandering, or in any way, undermining the respect, reputation and/or competance of your employer is petty, juvenile, and just plain STUPID.
    Your clients/patients may not remember exactly what you said, or what you did, but they will remember how YOU made them FEEL. (re: Maya Angelou)
    Every day I save my OD money is another day I have a job. We may argue, we may debate, but it is HIS BUSINESS, not mine, and he SIGNS MY CHECKS.
    Trust me, It's already costing the Doctor money with a remake and the respect of his staff because he lacks a little class.
    Ohh even if he signs your pay check.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The other week had a patient who is Scottish ask me if he'd have to pay if he came and saw me again. I saw him just on a year ago, he's early 70s, early cataract. I said, "Yes." He thought there might be a guarantee on the Rx.

I also said I'd probably reduce the fee as I'd probably only recheck his Rx i.e. not do a full exam, which was what I did. So, found he needed approx 1D less plus, said the lens price would be the same as last time and when I said the total, he said, "That's not much difference from last time." !!!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

How about the guy I read about last week that had put several sets of contacts in his eyes without removing the old ones?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file Alteaon's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This isn't really something I've been asked, but...

The patient who calls to say his contact lens is stuck to his eye, and no amount of drops,ect will release it...

The lens in question: his cornea.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Altheon: This is one of the reason I almost never give suction cups to patients for removal. I used to fit all the VA patients around here with aphakic contacts. As a group there was a lot of alcoholism involved. Some of them didn't absorb thier instructions on insertion and removal too well as we kept them three hours on delivery, many would step out and nip a little before the instruction part came up.
    Many of these patients would get thier hand on a suction cup. They would attempt to remove a lens that was not in the eye or not on the cornea repeatedly, many ended up in the emergency room with an over-sucked cornea.
    Always (if possible) teach patients to remove, insert and relocate lenses with thier hands alone (which hopefully they will always have with them).

Chip:hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    converstion I just had with the father of a child I had fit with eyeglasses, (caid) " Hi, this is mark.................and I have the glasses ready for nick" Reply"do you want us to come pic dem up?" No, let me deliver them dipbrain.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OBX, you should have replied. " No, you don't need to pick them up. I just wanted to give you a call before I give them to the Lions club."

:D:D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OBX, you should have replied. " No, you don't need to pick them up. I just wanted to give you a call before I give them to the Lions club."
    great answer, and I am writing these down.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

donate my glasses to the blind

can you donate my glasses to the blind

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

question

called a lady on the phone today and told her the glasses were ready, her reply, at your office:hammer:

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

My eyes burn

I was working up a pt and he proceeded to tell me that his eyes were doing fine but he noticed that everytime he kissed a pretty girl, his eyes would burn. I had no idea what to say. He then asked " do you think its because of the mace.?"

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake View Post
    called a lady on the phone today and told her the glasses were ready, her reply, at your office:hammer:
    I say "we are just letting you know your glasses are ready."

I cant tell you HOW many people say "Oh! Can I come get them?"

No....I just wanted to tell you they are here. But you cant have them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I shouldn't say this I'm sure, but the mace comment is pretty funny.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wouldn't you love this?

Yesterday I got what appeared to be card from Physician's Mutual. Congratulating me on my upcoming 65th Birthday and informing me that thye had been so kind as to prepare a free "Free Final Wishes Planner". Ain't that nice of them? This wonderful brochure shown one where they can record: Personal information, insureance policies, savings and retirement account numbers, people to contact and funeral wishers.

Just what I wanted to hear.

Chip

Thread Information