Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is The Stupidest Question You Have Been Asked

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While working in the mall we always got this: "Sunglass Hut is wondering if they could borrow one of your screwdrivers." Or this: "I bought these over at Sunglass Hut and they said you could special order the parts to fix 'em." And sometimes the cell phone booth would send over a person to borrow a tool!!!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Hahaha! I totally forgot about working at the mall!

How about my favourite - "I just bought these at Sunglass Hut/Neimans/Nordstroms and they said you could adjust them for me."

(Why didn't Sunglass Hut send these people to LensCrafters????????)

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We get the $5 rimless sunglasses back all of the time for repairs. People need to start understanding that these are DISPOSABLE sunglasses, and once they break or get lost you need to move on.

But hehe, all they need are tinny whinny, itsy bitsy, screws...

Then if you want to charge them they tell you that they only paid $5.00 for them. It doesn't matter that I spent 30 minutes fixing them. You know there are a lot of tinny whinny, itsy bitsy things on earth that cost a lot of money.

But what really gets me is that when you are done they just take their glasses and leave. They do not even ask how much they owe you. Like we are expected to do all of their work for them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry

Oooo....thought of more mall nightmares. I remember little kids trying to violently rip our Silhouettes out of the display mount. I'd say "Sorry little guy but these frames cost alot of money and we don't want them grabbed like that...blah blah blah...." and one time this kids mom says "Yeah, and I see you have them right at child's reach too...." I wanted to punch these parents that let their kids run all over the place!!

Another stupid question was "How come every time I come into this place you people are so busy and I have to wait to get some service!?!?!" And they'd always say it when its like 2:00 on a Saturday!!!

:angry:

OptiBoard Professional sharon m./ aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

silly questions

I almost forgot about this little gem.....

In Colorado contact lens prescriptions are only good for 1 yr. and glasses for 2yrs.(unless the dr. writes it for 1yr) so I just love it when people ask me why their insurance will only pay for an exam every 2 yr's. Duh....why don't you ask the insurance company?......I'll just bet it's because they don't wanna pay for one every year. Not really all that hard to figure out.:hammer:
    sharon

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know this thread's been dead for a while, but I just had to share...
    A lady asked me today if I could make her glasses lighter.
    I explained that the weight of the glasses is directly tied in with the lens and frame materials, and that if she'd like to purchase new lenses or both, I could suggest some very light things.
    She told me that she didn't need new glasses, that her current ones are fine, but she wants me to make them lighter.

Now there's someone who missed out on the fundamentals of Physics!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am shocked that you know of no way to lighten the glasses. There actually a number of ways to do it.
    A) file some lens and frame material off.
    B) tie helium balloons to the glasses- this is the best method. with a large enough baloon, you can actually acheive neutral boyancy.
    C) Have the client wear the glasses going down in a really fast elevator. This will indeed reduce the weight of the glasses, but the effect is, admittedly, temporary.
    D) the easiest method is to advise the client to gain some weight. While this will not lighten the glasses per se, it will make them lighter RELATIVE to the person wearing them.
    E) Attatch a counterweight to the glasses, with a lever. While this will make the glasses lighter, the counterweight and assembly will weigh in at a respectable amount. If a designer frame company can design the counterweight assembly, we can sell another accessory to people. ("would you like the Armani counterweight madam?")

I hope you can realize that there is always a solution to every problem, and that the customer is always right. There is no need to let pesky laws- of-physics stand in the way of a satisfied customer.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LOLOL
    Dave, at first, I was concerned that I might truly be missing something I should know...
    That was so funny!

I haven't read through all the posts so I apologize if this has been said, but I have people ask me all the time, "Is this plastic, or metal?"
    Don't you think that's something your average idiot could distinguish between? These people are NOT dilated, btw!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm surprised that I haven't come across this one yet, but it's one of the first I'd heard:
    "I need more medathine in my glathes."
    So you would like to update your lenses?
    "NO! These lenthes are fine, but they need more medathine!!"

Right...let me just grab my needle and the penacillin!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We had a yellow page ad that said "large frame selection", A rather robust women came in and said she saw our add and I need a large frame.

I had a patient call the day of her appt and cancel, she said she just started her period.

I have had countless patient's try on a frame with the demo lenses in and exclaim you realize I still don't see any better!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pt calls today and says, "I found some frames at another shop that I just love. They're metal wire frames and they come in various colors. Have you heard of those?":hammer:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Exclamation

I once had someone ask me..."Do you sell bathing suits?" :hammer:
    What the.... %$#@? I wrote that on the bathroom mirror for all to see!! lol

"What do you mean i have to pay? I have insurance!!!!! :finger:

Oh i don't need an exam, i just want new glasses, theses don't work anymore. Can you do that???!?!?!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Aarlan View Post
    "The Medicine fell out of my glasses cuz I Can't see so well...Can you put the medicine back into my glasses?"

AA
    This goesback a lot longer than I have been using a handstone, but those who came before us in this great business, were called itinerant(sic) opticians, and they would go to the farmers and with a primitive trial lens set they would refract the farmer then sell him the glasses, upon the delivery of said glasses the optician would tell the farmer "now Mr. Farmer these glasses will work for a couple of years, but then the medicine will run out and I will be back to help you." If our prefathers had just said what they already new-your friggin eyes are going to change, we as an industry might be thought of a little better.
    but my stupidest question ever asked....A lady came into my office for an adjustment. I did my normal rebuild. Her spex were an ancient Giorgio Armani (luxotica) maybe it was a 138, face cheeze everywhere, she ws a smoker, new screws, remove and clean lenses, and change nosepads. Class A job guys. She took the glasses back and was sooooo haaappy, until.. she saw her nosepads were not Armani. She stormed back into my office and demanded her Armani nosepads! The only time in my career I ever was the smart *** I think I am was this time. So I dug through my old nasty decreipt tray full of used nosepads and found a nasty pair of Armani nosepads and replaced the new soft silicone pads with a light green pair of Armani pads. Do you ever feel that there are some people that should not be allowed to buy glasses?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stick out tongue

400 LBS bearded woman walks into the shop & asks what I can do to make her look young & pretty.
    Tell her I am only an optician-NOT A GOD!!

Pt walks in to P/U new Specs -10.50 with cyl ou. 1.74 Alize Paul Smith Frame ect...
    Pt puts on new specs for the first time
    Pt slams specs on table and yells I CANT SEE OUT OF THESE & THEY COST ME $1000
    I ask her to TAKE HER CLS OUT

Why cant you just glue in the new lenses like the shop across the street did last year?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got a phone call yesterday. The caller asked how much it was going to cost to have a molar pulled!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I was working elsewhere I had px phone to say will my contact lenses be ok I just had my coil fitted !!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by curlyclaz View Post
    When I was working elsewhere I had px phone to say will my contact lenses be ok I just had my coil fitted !!!!!
    And she felt the fitting of her appliance could do What to her contacts???Goodness Gracious, some of these folks really shouldn't have contacts (darn good thing they get coils, though!!)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

No Problem!.....

Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    I got a phone call yesterday. The caller asked how much it was going to cost to have a molar pulled!!
    I would have asked "how much would you like to spend on that" then insisted on an appointment for the procedure. I recommend the Large 90 degree non-stainless cutter pliers. That's the ticket..Chris..:hammer:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Curly was that a coil IUD?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Had an opthalmologist who had a reputation better than his skills at hard contact lenses ask: "What size do you use?":drop:

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use 3x4 ziploc bags to return customers old lenses, I told one that her old lenses are in the lens bag. She asked "what's a lens bag used for?" not seeing the old lenses.

I responded " Lens bags are used for practicing safe spex"
    Money carefully refunded

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes the coil is an IUD !!! I was worried where she put her lenses !!!!!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not to rain on anyone's parade, buy are we quite sure the phone call regarding getting a coil fitted wasn't referring to a coil magnifier?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will see if my Opstigenerest has an appointment avilable to check on the coil. When he finishes with that i will give him the hammer to take care of the mollar. Two quick wacks to the right temple should fix it.:hammer:
    I'll ask him if you are seeing 10/10 on each side also
    Last edited by Scott R; 11-05-2006 at 10:57 PM. Reason: little more info

Bad address email on file Alteaon's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    " Sir, your contact lens Rx is expired. You'll need another exam before I can sell you more."

"What?! You mean I have to wear my glasses?? That's rediculous. Let me speak to your manager!"

Thread Information