Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is The Stupidest Question You Have Been Asked

OptiBoard Professional sharon m./ aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

the public

Last month this guy comes in and lays his spectacles down on the counter and says they are making his eyes red. He bought them 6 months ago and his rx is from one yr. ago. I told him I've never heard of glasses making a persons eyes red but sometimes it happens w/ contacts. The Dr. re-checked his eyes and we sent his glasses back to our lab. Our lab sent them back to us and said everything checked out ok. The patient comes in to pick them up and asks me if they were redone. I lied and said "yes". He said "They're fantastic." and left...It takes all kinds!!!!
    sharon

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Hunh - maybe this "magic-bench/tray" thing REALLY does work!:drop:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crazy Customers

Yeah, I told the O.D. where I work this story and she told me her brother an optician in Fla. has a " MAGIC DRAWER".;)
    sharon

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Roflol!!!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Lady comes in and asks for a price on a frame, AR, thinner lens. Give it to her.

She comes back and says we have the best price in town. She goes and grabs two pairs, we bill it out (plus a discount) and she freaks. She said you quoted me XXX. We go, yes for one pair. Oh, I thought all of the prices included two pairs.

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon m./ aboc
    Yeah, I told the O.D. where I work this story and she told me her brother an optician in Fla. has a " MAGIC DRAWER".;)
    Ha HA!! I have an entire magic LABORATORY!!!!!

When I worked at NVI back in NC, if I couldnt find anything wrong with the glasses I would take them back in the lab and my friend Don would wave his hands over them, Then the customer would go: "PERFECT!!" Gosh I miss that place!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

[QUOTE=sharon m./ aboc]Yeah, I told the O.D. where I work this story and she told me her brother an optician in Fla. has a " MAGIC DRAWER".;)[/QUOTE
    Last edited by sharon m./ aboc; 07-08-2006 at 03:06 AM. Reason: mistake
    sharon

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahMP584
    Ha HA!! I have an entire magic LABORATORY!!!!!

When I worked at NVI back in NC, if I couldnt find anything wrong with the glasses I would take them back in the lab and my friend Don would wave his hands over them, Then the customer would go: "PERFECT!!" Gosh I miss that place!!
    HOW IS IT WORKING OUT FOR YOU IN CALIFORNIA? A NEW MARRIAGE AND A NEW STATE. VERY STRESSFUL STUFF.
    sharon

OptiBoard Professional William Walker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thinking of this thread, I had to write myself a note a work to remember this older woman I saw the other day. She picked her glasses up in the morning, but had to bring them back that afternoon because the nosepads had to be replaced. No problem with that. The reason why? Not the fit, no, that would be normal. Her complaint - this type of nosepad smells bad! How do you respond to this professionally?!?I bit my lip quite well, I'm proud to say.

And I had a woman today who started to give me grief because we don't give free eye exams for contacts like they have at a competitor's optical. Then, when I proceed to tell her the machine in the front of that department does not give an exam, she starts walking off because she doesn't have time to listen. Oh well, can't win them all.

William
    William Walker

Associates in Science in Opticianry
    Associates in Science in Optical Business Management
    Licensed Dispensing Optician
    Board Certified
    Certified Paraoptometric Assistant
    American Board of Opticianry Advanced Certified
    National Contact Lens Examiners Certified

Next Goal: ABOM

Optician with Lenscrafters in Jacksonville, FL

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have actually had "new" frames in my office that did have nose pads that smell. Some sort of weird plastic I guess.

Had a guy call me last week and said his old lenses were scratched really bad and would it cost him anything to get new lenses. I asked when he got the lenses and he said about 2 years ago. I then asked why he thought new lenses would not cost him anything. He said he thought we were having a sale. Hell of a sale, huh?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Many od the nosepads have a high concentration of pertroleum in them. If they are not allowed to air out prior to packaging, the odor becomes trapped, and it may take weeks or even months before the smell disapates. Cheap frames have the same problem. (Take a cheap reader out of the cello wrap at the and smell one) Many customers are very sensitive to this.

Bad address email on file Alteaon's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a pt come in to return her glasses. Her reasoning is that she thought they looked like crap ( hence what you get in a semi rimless w/ a high Rx and refusing to go beyond what your insurance pays for). She also said that her frame smelled so bad, she couldn't stand it! So she shoves it in my face, and yes, it smells....on the nose pads and on the temples...where her skin touches it...

What got me here wasn't so much her complaint,, but her rude behavior. In the end, I gave her a refund because she said that we had no selection, that they all looked the same. ( almost 1000 frames and they're all the same?), and she wanted contacts anyway.

While some types of plastics can smell, it's some attitudes and behaviors that really rot.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

goofy a#* customers

Wm. Walker (fellow Costco employee) you are gonna love this...... I had a guy come in over the weekend with the most scratched up lenses I have ever seen and I've seen quite a few. His year warranty wasn't up yet so I told him we could send them in to have his lenses replaced,but he didn't have a backup pair. I asked him how he was cleaning them and he said he WAS using paper products(which I told him not to do anymore) and he said he was using warm water and soap. I jokingly said you're not using LAVA soap are you? HA Ha...And he said YES!!!!!!!!
    Incidentally he bought his glasses at another store ,so it wasn't our store that failed to tell him how to care for his lenses.
    sharon

OptiBoard Professional William Walker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You kinda hope after the first scratch, you'd get a clue...

Oh well,
    William Walker

Associates in Science in Opticianry
    Associates in Science in Optical Business Management
    Licensed Dispensing Optician
    Board Certified
    Certified Paraoptometric Assistant
    American Board of Opticianry Advanced Certified
    National Contact Lens Examiners Certified

Next Goal: ABOM

Optician with Lenscrafters in Jacksonville, FL

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've had the Lava Soap problem with contact lens patients. Almost as stupid and patients and practioners who use or advise using tooth past for cleaning and polishing contacts. If you are one of these, take a new lens and "clean" it with same, then look at it through a magnifier with a light. Scractches the H out of the. Does get the deposits (which will re-form in 15min wear due to scratches) off though.

Chip

I even know labs who's reps advise "toothpaste cleaning" for rigid lenses. Guess they sell a lot of replacements.
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    I've had the Lava Soap problem with contact lens patients. Almost as stupid and patients and practioners who use or advise using tooth past for cleaning and polishing contacts. If you are one of these, take a new lens and "clean" it with same, then look at it through a magnifier with a light. Scractches the H out of the. Does get the deposits (which will re-form in 15min wear due to scratches) off though.

Chip

I even know labs who's reps advise "toothpaste cleaning" for rigid lenses. Guess they sell a lot of replacements.
    :cheers:
    I had a contact lens rep who recommended Opti-Free NO RUB as a solution to prevent tearing of his company's easy to tear lenses. Now you do not have to rub them :)

Occupation
    A guy comes in from the remote area up north with a pair or Irlen lenses and frame, and wants us to edge them into the frame for his friend. The lenses just have the sphere and cyl written on it, no axis, no prescription, no PD, and the cylinder in one eye is -2.00. So we say we need him for the measurement of the PD and the RX.

So today a man who looks and smells like a bear comes in. It is the guy whose lenses and frame for the irlen job belongs to. Problem is we still have no RX. He cannot remember who did the eye exam. So I try to call Irlen, but the numbers on their website are wrong (no surprise). Anyways, it appears that these uncut lenses are 20 years old. So we had to send him away to get an exam.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    William[/QUOTE]Her complaint - this type of nosepad smells bad!

Actually have had this complaint before. I thought she was wacked, but whatever.... A couple months later we got some new frame and trying them on I noticed some of them did have nosepads that stank!!! They were vinyl nosepads and the material was still out-gasing!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For-Life:

Don't you believe it, rubbing is highly beneficial in the removal of protein and other foriegn matter. The No-Rub is like "Anti-Bacterial" soap. Strictly an advertizing gimmic. For general information "Anti-Bacterial Soap" leaves exactly the same bacteria count on the hands as plain old ivory bar or any other soap. It can also eventually impregnate softlenses (those worn for a period of time) with just enough chemical to sting or cause allergy symptoms.

Chip
    Never take anything anyone selling something to you as the truth without expericence to back it up.

I even had a Ciba Rep tell me that the bubbles were "cleaning the lens". The bubbles are hydrogen gas being released from the peroxide (which is why it doesn't need a preservative other than an opaque bottle) in the conversion to saline. Don't Believe Salesmen.

Ciba once had a near perfect system but they had a cleaner from Alcon, and a saline spray from Allergan in the kit and appearently the threesome couldn't get along.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 07-12-2006 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Mo' On Da' Rubbin'

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is why I love Clear Care peroxide based contact lens cleaning solution..........no rubbing and hardly any preservatives that always irritate my eyes after about eight hrs of contact lens wear. I am still having a hard time finding it here in Colorado. I was told that the Ciba factory in Canada has resumed production after the contamination problem. I found some in a Wal Mart in Oklahoma this summer and I bought 3 bottles. I think that is the problem....... people find it and buy as much as they can because they're afraid they won't be able to find it.
    sharon

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    I even had a Ciba Rep tell me that the bubbles were "cleaning the lens". The bubbles are hydrogen gas being released from the peroxide (which is why it doesn't need a preservative other than an opaque bottle) in the conversion to saline.
    Not to be too picky but it is actually oxygen bubbles being released. Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2, the little platinum disc acts as a catalyst to take the free radical oxygen molecules and stick them together to make O2. What is left is H2O or water.

Releasing a whole lot of hydrogen gas in your bathroom may not be the best idea.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a woman call the other day and tell me it was an emergency that she get in that day. She said she couldn't see anything when she went outside. I was quite concerned until she explained the reason she couldn't see was that she had been wearing the same pair of Night & Day contacts since December!

She was supposed to call and make a follow up appointment but never did. Since it has been 7 months we told her a follow up would be $25.00. She had no money, no credit cards, and of course no glasses. She was rather rude, of course her problems were our fault.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

dumb customers

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    her problems were our fault.
    Of course it's your fault!!!! Who elses would it be?:bbg:

THIS IS THE BEST AND MOST THERAPEUTIC THREAD EVER ......KEEP 'EM COMING.:cheers:
    Last edited by sharon m./ aboc; 07-12-2006 at 09:52 PM. Reason: SPELLING
    sharon

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon m./ aboc
    HOW IS IT WORKING OUT FOR YOU IN CALIFORNIA? A NEW MARRIAGE AND A NEW STATE. VERY STRESSFUL STUFF.
    Thanks for asking sharon!

Stressful, THAT IS FOR SURE!
    We were engaged when we moved here and got married in december.
    The one good thing is that I went ahead and took my tests for ABO, NCLE, and got both my licenses. I wouldnt have been done with my apprenticeship back home.
    AND, Opticians make better money in NC, yet things are twice as expensive out here!
    Its my husbands job, they dont just develop top secret aircraft anywhere, just in the middle of the desert! So, we will be stuck here for a while :hammer:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie funny kids

i have just adjusted the nose pads on a childs frame, i put them back on and he sad ' are they still the same colour?' made me smile !

Thread Information