Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is The Stupidest Question You Have Been Asked

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    An older lady bought new lenses for her existing frames. So the lenses arrive, she comes in and brings her glasses. I go to the back and cut the lenses. Now our policy is we do not give a new case with a new pair of lenses in old frames. We only give a new case with a complete set. I finish the job and she goes home. The next day she walks in all alarmed. She told me that last night she went to put her glasses down and realized that we never gave her a new case for them. She had no idea where to put her glasses now, because we did not give her a case. I was going to ask her what she did for the last two years with the same frame.

Another story goes back a few years. I do not know if any of you are familar with a frame called Minima from Timon. Very nice rimless frame where you had many shapes to choose from, all frames were titanium, and you could even do them up a little with different colour screws. These guys made the Silhouttes look like America's Best trash. The only thing is for the ladies the frames did not have temple covers, but coloured balls at the end. The balls made the frames look very elegant, but tend to fall off with wear and tear. So a lady comes in and I ask her how I can help her. She turns to me, looks me up and down, and shoves the frame in my face without saying a word. I notice the one ball came off so I took it to the back and fixed it. The owner of the store was talking to her when I came out and I gave them back to her. She then snaps at me and tells me that I did not replace the nose pads. I said that I did not know that she wanted them changed. She then snaps and tells me that is exactly what she asked me to do.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    The balls made the frames look very elegant, but tend to fall off with wear and tear. So a lady comes in and I ask her how I can help her. She turns to me, looks me up and down, and shoves the frame in my face without saying a word. I notice the one ball came off so I took it to the back and fixed it.
    So it turns out this lady didn't come in to complain that her balls fell off?:idea:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ory
    So it turns out this lady didn't come in to complain that her balls fell off?:idea:
    That would be a problem I could not handle

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I cant believe I almost forgot this one. A lady comes in for an adjustment, plops down at the dispensing table and says: "My glasses are crooked."
    My friend asks her to put them on and looks and looks, and says "well, they look pretty straight..." Pt says: "Oh, not when I am wearing them this way." and she proceeds to place them on top of her head and says "They are crooked when they are up HERE." :drop:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    THAT IS THE BEST ONE EVER

Quote Originally Posted by SarahMP584
    I cant believe I almost forgot this one. A lady comes in for an adjustment, plops down at the dispensing table and says: "My glasses are crooked."
    My friend asks her to put them on and looks and looks, and says "well, they look pretty straight..." Pt says: "Oh, not when I am wearing them this way." and she proceeds to place them on top of her head and says "They are crooked when they are up HERE." :drop:

Bad address email on file Alteaon's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A patient came in with the complain that her glasses " Keep Sliding UP her nose", by themselves!-- that one is kind of hard to deal with because of the laws of Gravity and all.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How 'bout this little gem: This guy walks in and says he need to have +0.50, sph placed OU so he can read better. I asked for the RX so I could verify, make sure it's valid/current, etc. He tells me he doesn't have an RX, it's just that he thinks, "those are the lenses I need". I explained it's like walking into a pharmacy and telling the pharmacist that you want Vicodin without having a RX. He responds, as he's storming out of my shop, "I'm not gonna f---ing swallow 'em!"

Ah, society....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Say What...

Patient comes in with some big black plastic "Jimmy Holly" frames that he loves. Them have been sitting in a drwaer for "oh 8 to 10 years". He had a problem with them before but now wants me to put new lenses in them. Pretty sure if he had a problem with the frame before he will have the same problem again I asked why he stopped wearing them. "Because they seem to have shrunk my head, but you can fix that right?"

I had to leave the room, he needs to see the head shrinking Dr.

Bad address email on file fins2os's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have a particular patient that is a repeat offender (buy glasses, return glasses, repeat yearly) who has more complaints than you could imagine. I was done with him when he told us his glasses gave him chest pains. I understand he also told his cardiologist the same thing. Boy would I have loved to be in that exam room!!!!

We have a patient who is particular about days he visits our office. Well, if we believe him, only when he visits us on particular days based on his numerology concepts, he can get better glasses and economical ones. I am not sure about this, but for past two years, he has been visitng us every three months.............for lens change as per new Rx he gets. Just wondering, if numerology is working in our favour ? lol

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Jimmy Holly"? You did mean Buddy...or are you that young?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Not me

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    "Jimmy Holly"? You did mean Buddy...or are you that young?
    The patient insisted it was Jimmy Holly... from the plane crash and all. That should have been my first clue.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just today, doing a slit lamp check- Me: "Which eye was bothering you yesterday?" Patient- "I can't remember, but it was either the right or the left one."

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another one I get when setting up a appointment is
    Your appointment is Thursday the 13th
    answer back: is there anything sooner

OptiBoard Professional Mike Fretto's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have found it easier in most situations when adjusting frames as far as level on their face to ask the patient to lower their chin almost to the point of looking over the top. One young man when I asked him to lower his chin did this :drop:
    Mike

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    speaking of bad grammar, "My len fell out."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OMG - the stimga!!! Or I gots to have new glasses 'cause I gots glaucoma.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Or how 'bout the person who askes you how much some other place charges? Like do you ask the person at Wendys how much things are at Carls Jr?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Or the person who complains that when he takes the glasses off he can't see any more. Well, why is it you spent 200 dollars on those glasses - so maybe you can see better!!!!:angry:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    or I need a 'xam to check my eye vision - well what other vision do you have????

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nicole
    ....the fun time I had a few days ago-

An (older) patient was in for a checkup and complained to the doctor that his bifocals were too low and he didn't like raising his chin to read. Doctor brings him out and mildly berades me that we made the segs too low and to adjust it, and "if you can't handle that then have them remade".

*sigh*

I look at the gentleman's glasses, I can't adjust the zyl frame he's wearing to raise the bifocal as high as he wants it, so I go get the chart to order a remake.

The lenses were made over 2 years ago.

*sigh*

Someone just hit me over the head and put me out of my misery, will you?

:hammer:

I know the feeling/:idea:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a patient come in Monday and state that he wanted a new (prosthetic) eye.

Then he said: "Can you tell me what it'll look like?"

I replied: "If I do it right, it'll look like your other eye."

Occupation
    When a person has never had their eyes examined by you, and you ask them when the last time they had their eyes examined. They then reply asking you why you cannot look it up.

Had one person come in for a repair, and said their are under warranty. Could not find the person in the files, and he says that he got them somewhere else, but says "aren't all of you guys connected?"

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

paul frank

any paul frank fans out there? i have a paul frank shirt i wear at work to mock customers who bother me for screws. it reads:

"i just need a screw!" (with a picture of a frame being repaired)

...i love that shirt.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave I try to be nice....

A couple of weeks ago, a px came in to have her pals checked. She had her eyes tested with one of our docs, but filled her rx at shoppers. I marked up the progressive and checked to be sure the rx was made correctly, and it was. I had her try on the glasses and immediately I could see that the pd in one lens was out. I measured her pd, checked what was in the glasses, found it was out by 3 mm. Px told me she turns her head slightly and can see better out of that eye. I always try to be nice to the competition in these cases. I chose my words carefully, mistakes can be made. I explained to the px that I found the pd to be out slightly, and I asked her to go back to shoppers and have them check it. I even gave her my card, and wrote on the back for the optician to double check pd and to call me if she had any questions.
    Phone rings... "You get it out 3 mm. I get it out 2 mm. And well, well, did you measure the near pd?"
    I said no, pals do not need a near pd. the inset of the reading is preset, or automatic. (I realize there are a few out there that can have custom near pd's, but this was not one of those lenses)
    She said that she always takes a near pd, her lab requires it and blah, blah. She told me that the reason why her px could not see well out of her glasses was because one eye converged more and that I should have taken a near pd. I hate it when people want me to check glasses from somewhere else. I always hope there is no error.

I guess I was ranting a little bit. Some other stupid questions....
    I need to find some glasses for my mother.
    I say "where is your mother".
    Not here, but we look the same.

I just woke up and they were like that, in pieces.

I carefully instruct px to never put clear care (peroxide solution) direct into eye. 6 hour minimum to neutralize. One px came back for a 2 week check and says oh, it was really something. I mixed up the bottles and put clear care into my eye.

I once was doing a slit lamp exam on a cl px, and had to ASK her to open her eyes.

Why does my step mother keep saying to me she must be a good cl candidate, because she was able to wear her sisters contacts, oh and see fairly well? My step mother is a president and ceo of a large company!!

I nearly want to walk out of the office, get in my car and drive home whenever people are amazed they can not see out of the frames they try on off the wall.

I thought eye exams were free.

I need an appointment to get my eyes looked at? fit for contacts?

I can't believe you were closed on a holiday. Here I was, preparing supper for a family HOLIDAY gathering, and my glasses fell apart! They are my only pr. I don't have a spare!

Why is it when I spend an hour training new cl px on care, cleanliness, insertion and removal and then they are back in 2 weeks for a progress check, and they go to take out their lenses without washing their hands?

Why do people say they wear their lenses for 8 or 10 hours per day, and I say you put them in when you get up? YUP. And you take them out when you go to sleep? YUP. I guess they are big sleepers.

A contact lens px was in for a 2 week check up after we switched him to a different brand. I asked how they felt. He said good, except after he woke up with them in. (not extended wear)

I think with things you teach people, it sometimes goes in one ear and out the other. Anyways.

Thread Information