Thread: Live from the Shanghai Optical Show

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Live from the Shanghai Optical Show

Today was day 1 of the Shanghai Optical Show aka China (Shanghai) International Optics Fair. Typical of all optical shows that I have gone to in the US, HK, China and Tokyo...day 1 was packed. Aside from the multitude of Chinese companies present there were companies from Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Korea, Italy, France, Germany and the US. The US was conspicuously under represented in my opinion.

I had not attended this show for 2 years but noticed a big increase in the amount of automated equipment being manufactured by Chinese companies. The quality of the eyewear offering was much better as well.

All in all an impressive show.

Doc

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why should we be represented, we don't make anything anymore. We just distribute stuff made in China, so they are familiar with "our" stuff.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Why should we be represented, we don't make anything anymore. We just distribute stuff made in China, so they are familiar with "our" stuff.
    The other countries represented at the show apparently think differently. They have learned that the Chinese consumer loves foreign made products and foreign brands and prefer it to Made in China products and brands in many cases. That's the reason to represent US brands and products in China.

Doc

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Doc: The point is there are no US brands anymore. If the chinese found something labeled made in USA it would be a forged label. We are now a nation of salesmen and paper shufflers.

I can hardly wait until we start buying our military hardware from China and Cuba. Suspect they won't ship any when the war comes.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation

I can hardly wait until we start buying our military hardware from China and Cuba. Suspect they won't ship any when the war comes.
    It won't matter, Chip; our ports are going to be closed anyway.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Big Smile More exotic.....................

Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina
    ...................the Chinese consumer loves foreign made products and foreign brands and prefer it to Made in China products and brands in many cases.
    Doc
    That is standard snobism happeneing in every country around the globe. They always want the foreign stuff that is more exotic and more expensive.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Blame Canada.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Doc: The point is there are no US brands anymore. If the chinese found something labeled made in USA it would be a forged label. We are now a nation of salesmen and paper shufflers.

There are still brands that are "American" even if the goods are produced overseas. I remember in the early 1980's when goods had to have the country of origin printed either on them or on the documentation accompanying them. This created a problem for the big 3 car companies. Their cars had parts from all over the world, yet the cars were still "American" made. Manufactures typically shift production to areas that reduce costs. Right now it is China. In the future who knows. I just read that Chinese made goods represents 13 percent of US imports. I having researched the breakdown by country for other imports. It would be interesting to see and even more interesting to see the trade imbalance we have with other countries.

If consumers start to demand American made products only, then the market for relatively inexpensive imports would drop.

I cannot predict the future, but IMHO I do not forsee a war between the US and China. They both need each other on many levels. They certainly will have strains in their relationship this century as China continues to grow economically and politically on the international level.

Doc

Thread Information