Thread: any point in glasses for amblyopic adult?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

any point in glasses for amblyopic adult?

I would very much appreciate the thoughts of any of you who do not mind giving some general opinions to consumers on this issue. I have amblyopia for which I had glasses and patching as a child, I think with partial success at the time, no squint or surgery. I was told to keep on wearing glasses full time long-term after this, but did not comply well with this - I could see 20/20 with with my better eye and teenage vanity took over. As an adult, I've had a couple of eye tests but always been told that there isn't much point in wearing glasses at this point if I can manage without - I've always felt able to do so.

Now I'm 41 and, after a period of denial, have to acknowledge that my near vision is going downhill. I had an eye test last week, resulting in the following prescription:

L: +0.75
    R: +3.0 -1.25 Axis 90
    Add: +1.25

I am resigned to reading glasses, but was surprised that the optician was very emphatically of the view that I need to get varifocals and wear them all the time. She said this would be beneficial because varifocals are a better long term way of managing my vision problems than reading glasses, and also that I should be a full time glasses wearer because of my amblyopia: her view is that with glasses my eyes will work together more.

I would be very grateful for any views about how important/beneficial it might be to follow this opinion and get full time varifocals? At the moment I do not experience many problems with distance and was able (just about!) to read the 6/6 line unaided with my left eye. I'm not really keen on full time glasses but do not want to make things worse for myself in the long run,

Many thanks for any thoughts on this,
    Isa

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My two cents: Patient's with amblyopia are far more likely to see thier best with bifocal or trifocal lenses, not any form of progressive.Any patient with any form of retinal problem probably should not have progressives.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Call it what you will...

but you're still asking for specific advice which is not allowed per the posting guidelines.

Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed.

Quote Originally Posted by isabella
    I would very much appreciate the thoughts of any of you who do not mind giving some general opinions to consumers on this issue. I have amblyopia for which I had glasses and patching as a child, I think with partial success at the time, no squint or surgery. I was told to keep on wearing glasses full time long-term after this, but did not comply well with this - I could see 20/20 with with my better eye and teenage vanity took over. As an adult, I've had a couple of eye tests but always been told that there isn't much point in wearing glasses at this point if I can manage without - I've always felt able to do so.

Now I'm 41 and, after a period of denial, have to acknowledge that my near vision is going downhill. I had an eye test last week, resulting in the following prescription:

L: +0.75
    R: +3.0 -1.25 Axis 90
    Add: +1.25

I am resigned to reading glasses, but was surprised that the optician was very emphatically of the view that I need to get varifocals and wear them all the time. She said this would be beneficial because varifocals are a better long term way of managing my vision problems than reading glasses, and also that I should be a full time glasses wearer because of my amblyopia: her view is that with glasses my eyes will work together more.

I would be very grateful for any views about how important/beneficial it might be to follow this opinion and get full time varifocals? At the moment I do not experience many problems with distance and was able (just about!) to read the 6/6 line unaided with my left eye. I'm not really keen on full time glasses but do not want to make things worse for myself in the long run,

Many thanks for any thoughts on this,
    Isa

Thread Information