Thread: Pete, Pete, Pete and Power lunch!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Pete, Pete, Pete and Power lunch!

this is what I got in the email today:

Session MS06 – Power Lunch (Lunch Provided)
    Time:
    12:00 noon – 1:30 pm
    Sponsored by: Essilor
    Varilux® Physio™- the benefits of W.A.V.E. Technology™
    ABO Approved for 1 Credit Hour, General knowledge, Level 1
    Presented by:
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM, LDO

As the first progressive power lens to incorporate wavefront correction, Varilux Physio offers the PAL wearer unprecedented sharpness in distance vision, greater intermediate width, and increased visual comfort at near. Varilux Physio also offers the eye care practitioner the opportunity to distinguish his/her practice by providing a PAL product of unparalleled performance.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And I thought its a good news!?

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Amazing to me that credits are available like this

If this is the actual e-mail you received it shows how little oversight of the industry exists. Continuing education to me, appears to be based on sales pitches by companies, not on education that will help the despenser make a knowledgable educated decision that is best for their patient.

It is sad that the only education an optician receives that helps certify, to the general public, that he or she is keeping current on advances in providing proper eyewear and lenses, is marketing driven courses paid developed by the manufacturers.

This is not meant to take anything away from Essilor and the design and marketing of their products, as I see they are using the system that is provided to them.

What do elected politicians do for consumers anymore? Anything? or are they so beholden to the lobbists that the consumer is lost and is only needed every few years to cast a proper vote.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not very excited about this new lens. It seems like there is a common theme with Essilor.......higher priced products. Maybe they're trying to get some of our profits.:finger:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    If this is the presentation I saw there is actually a lot of info that would be good for an optician to know, not just marketing stuff (Pete, is it the one from the NSM that you and the french guy did?-the one we got quizzed on?). The ABO hs certain restictions about what can be approved for credit and commercials for lens companies don't get approved.

Pete is a great speaker and is very educational and entertaining. He will take the time afterwards to explain if you need it and answer any questions you might have. If you have the opportunity to go I think you should.

Besides, Essilor never does anything halfway so the food should be excellent!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by karen

Besides, Essilor never does anything halfway so the food should be excellent!
    I hope they have snails.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My husband and I both have the new Physio and we both think it is as good as any progressive we have ever had.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    My husband and I both have the new Physio and we both think it is as good as any progressive we have ever had.

So, do you mean to say that you don't see a big difference???

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by High_Abbe
    I'm not very excited about this new lens. It seems like there is a common theme with Essilor.......higher priced products. Maybe they're trying to get some of our profits.:finger:
    High:

I hate to seem like I am always picking on you, but again, I have no idea what this comment means. "Trying to get some of 'our' profits?" If you ask me they are helping you greatly to increase your profits. Perhaps you should review your pricing structure.......

Adam

Thread Information