Thread: getting a break in the corporate side of optical industry

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

getting a break in the corporate side of optical industry

How does one go about getting into the corporate side of the optical industry; whether it be in sales representation, marketing, advertising, directorship etc.

For me this would be my ultimate dream. I've always wanted to get into marketing and sales repping, but I only wanted to do it for a product that I am not only interested in, but passionate about. I know I've found what I'm interested in and passionate about (that being optical) but I want to know how would I get into more of the business and corporate side of this industry.

I have a double major in sociology and criminal justice and a minor in history, and am kicking myself in the butt for not getting my degree in marketing or economics or buisness administration, but my dream is to work for a optical corporation.

What I want to know his how do I network myself or make myself a more valuable commodity and a potential candidate for this. I would make a guess I would have to make a start as a sales rep for a company which I would love to do.

Please give any insight or advice all you professional optiboarders. Thanks

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rolanclaur,

About 10 minutes ago, over breakfast I had a conversation with my wife about this subject. After our eight year old asked where we were going on spring vacation, and for how long, it occured to her that our restraints are now dictated by his school schedule, and not the company I work for. She was saying how nice it was that I was no longer in the corporate world of optical (I've been out for over 15 years). She was listing all the reasons, but the biggest one was the security we now have.

When I say security, I don't mean we have a guaranteed income. I work my tail off. Outside of corporate, I am in charge of my own destiny. I don't have to worry if the shirt I wear to the sales meeting has the "right" logo on it, or if I'm using the correct buzz phrases to impress my bosses. I got along very well in the corporate world, although I was never really above the bottom 3 tiers. I also have to mention that one of the main purposes of the sales meetings was to meet the newest batch of managers that replaced the group that were most recently replaced.

In corporate, I had a manager, a DM, an RM, a VP of sales, a Pres. of Sales, and the company president over me, and every decision they made, had a direct impact on my ability to make a living. Their decisions also affected the way that I went about making my living. I could do whatever I wanted, so long as it was what everyone above me wanted as well.
    The nice thing was I got a nice paycheck - like clockwork. Now, I have to always come up with new ideas, and always be pushing to meet my personal goals. The upside is that what I sell gets divided between myself, and my employees.

Looking at your background, you seem to be the type of individual that sees what he wants, and goes after it. I definitely think you should be working for a corporation, and it should be a corporation with a name such as

Rolandclaur Inc.

(It's got a nice ring to it, doesn't it?)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    There's lots of upside to the corporate side--access to huge resources, the ability to be part of something that makes a difference, the chance to work on significant strategies and initiatives. You will have people above you, but that's true regardless. When you work for yourself, in reality you increase the number of people to whom you are beholden--customers, suppliers etc. There's a lot of sniping at corporations on the Board--for my part having been self employed and by large corporations, I believe thriving in a corp environment takes a lot of talent and dedication. Don't buy into this notion that somehow only working for yourself is pure--what tripe. That said, juat keep in mind that the corporate world has changed dramatically in the last 20 years--there is no such thing as loyalty or fairness. You, and everyone else, are totally expendible.

Look at the various trade publications for ads for sales jobs. Go to the OLA website (ola-labs.org I think) and identify labs in your local market, they are always looking for sales people. Being a novice, the pay won't be great. Alternatively, look at local optical shops, especially chains. Again not great money, but a foot in the door.

Good luck.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    There's lots of upside to the corporate side--access to huge resources, the ability to be part of something that makes a difference, the chance to work on significant strategies and initiatives.

You will have people above you, but that's true regardless. When you work for yourself, in reality you increase the number of people to whom you are beholden--customers, suppliers etc.

There's a lot of sniping at corporations on the Board--for my part having been self employed and by large corporations, I believe thriving in a corp environment takes a lot of talent and dedication.

That said, juat keep in mind that the corporate world has changed dramatically in the last 20 years--there is no such thing as loyalty or fairness. You, and everyone else, are totally expendible.

Being a novice, the pay won't be great. Alternatively, look at local optical shops, especially chains. Again not great money, but a foot in the door.

Go to the OLA website (ola-labs.org I think) and identify labs in your local market, they are always looking for sales people.
    Good luck.

-Yes there is access to huge resources; just ask the 160+ people (mgrs, opticians, reg. mgr. dist. mgrs) that were unceremoniously fired from their position in June of 2004 from Sight Resource Corporation.

-Yes, you will always have people above you, but in your own company you can, and do, choose the people that you work for. And no, you do not work for your suppliers - they work for you.

-I agree. In fact, in many cases, it take more talent and dedication to work for a large corp.

(Quote CHM2023) "Don't buy into this notion that somehow only working for yourself is pure--what tripe."(Quote)

-Who said that ? Pure??

-No Loyalty or fairness ? Everyone expendable ? Sounds like my kind of place! That's why I was addressing the corps. of today.

-Many of the labs are looking ? Why are they always looking ? Is it because they are promoting the reps to upper management positions that they just can't keep up the pace ? Is it because teh optical field is booming so much that tehy need more of a sales force to handle it all ? Or is it because it is so difficult to achieve results (or prove achievement) that the turnover of reps is so high ?

I am not anti corporation. I may be (in my own self serving way) anti-large optical corporation, btu not really. If not for teh large corps, a lot of folks would have no hospitalization or retirement plans. I may work for a corp someday - hopefully not, but I never say never. I will say that starting you own corp is not for the feint of heart.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    -Yes there is access to huge resources; just ask the 160+ people (mgrs, opticians, reg. mgr. dist. mgrs) that were unceremoniously fired from their position in June of 2004 from Sight Resource Corporation.

-Yes, you will always have people above you, but in your own company you can, and do, choose the people that you work for. And no, you do not work for your suppliers - they work for you.

-I agree. In fact, in many cases, it take more talent and dedication to work for a large corp.

(Quote CHM2023) "Don't buy into this notion that somehow only working for yourself is pure--what tripe."(Quote)

-Who said that ? Pure??

-No Loyalty or fairness ? Everyone expendable ? Sounds like my kind of place! That's why I was addressing the corps. of today.

-Many of the labs are looking ? Why are they always looking ? Is it because they are promoting the reps to upper management positions that they just can't keep up the pace ? Is it because teh optical field is booming so much that tehy need more of a sales force to handle it all ? Or is it because it is so difficult to achieve results (or prove achievement) that the turnover of reps is so high ?

I am not anti corporation. I may be (in my own self serving way) anti-large optical corporation, btu not really. If not for teh large corps, a lot of folks would have no hospitalization or retirement plans. I may work for a corp someday - hopefully not, but I never say never. I will say that starting you own corp is not for the feint of heart.
    Just trying to point out to R that there are pluses and minuses to everything. Didn't mean to offend.:cheers:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rondclaur,

I'd like to apologize for highjacking your thread...

You obviously are passionate about your desire to work for an optical corporation.

What do find to be the most alluring facet of that type of career ?

Have you worked for a corporation in another field ?

I really am curious.

:hammer: (I promise I won't jump on again and go off on the virtues of self-employment!)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Johns. I worked for a private corporation before (contact lens distributor) and even though I was very young at the time, I got promoted rather quickly. I enjoyed being a part of the purchasing department and assuming responsibilties of being a liasion to the major corporate contact lens suppliers.

I'm currently working at Costco Optical, and while its a good job to be at, it just isn't fullfilling to me. The most exciting part of my day is when I get a new edition of Contact Lens Spectrum or Vision News or 20/20 Optical and read about all the new things going on in the industry. Otherwise its a pretty cut and dry position of opticianary work (which is limited to just purely retail).

I understand its going to be hard at first, but all I really want is a chance. My ultimate dream would be to either work for Oakley or Essilor in whatever corporate position I can first work at.

I never really thought about the issue of job security, but you do bring up a valid point. I did see quite a lot of what you said at my first job. But it's a risk I'd be willing to take. I'm no stranger to hard work. I've worked six days a week for almost 12 years since I've been 15, went to school full time till a couple years ago, never taken a vacation, and am still yearning to succeed.
    Thanks for the advice and hopefully we can keep my thread going a bit!!!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It makes sense to me.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You sound like you are young enough, talented enough, and passionate enough to succeed in any field. You need to take the risks, now, early in your career.

Thread Information