Thread: ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

?

?

Thanks to Steve for creating a sub-culture (insert joke here) for us (mostly) North of the 49th, but I personally don't think a Canadian subforum on Optiboard is necessary.

In fact, about 8 or 9 years ago, there was a list serve started that lasted about 9 months until it went away for various reasons I won't bore you with.

I have travelled in the U.S. on Opti-business many times, and I will repeat here what I espouse there or to anyone who asks (thanks for asking...)

What is the difference between an optician from New Jersey or from Ontario?

Or Alberta or Montana?

No punchline on this one. As far as I am concerned, we are all part of one larger group. We do have different regulations and views- state by stae and province by province, but an optician is an optician. I am as likely to have the same views with someone from Michigan as I would from BC (actually, nah, nevermind). The main difference is educational requirements and legislation, but that's for a different thread.

Canada has a very very strong opticianry voice- go ask any member of your provinicial association about the Opticians Council of Canada... Might blow your nosepads off...

Really, what does an optician from Washington have in common with an optician from Georgia?? Everything and nothing.
    Exactly...

Thanks for the separate forum, but I will still post all and any issues to the greater group as a whole, where ever you are from.

Just my half diopters (or is it dioptre?) worth.
    Shwing

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Centennial, Opal, Perspectives, Infinity, Nordic, Nikon and Rodenstock and so forth are not companies in the US (or have different products in Canda than US) or even beyond. This is a forum concerning those Canadian issues that are hard to address on general discussion (as several have said to me). It is not supposed to turn away non-Canadian posters or supposed to be a threat to the board. It is just supposed to make Canadian issues more efficient.

It is a simplicity issue.

I do not know why you would complain SINCE IT IS NOT A BIG DEAL. Especially since you barely post here and I am not sure that you are in the independent optical industry anymore (you list your occupation as a fire fighter).
    Last edited by For-Life; 02-20-2006 at 03:20 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Firefighter?......

....he is actually a very respected Opticianry educator who resides in Canada, and has been posting her long before you arrived, but you probably know that.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Moderator?

In the words of the late Paul Boomer!
    HELLO CANADA!

Warren could have also told you, not only all of the above, but that also he is a former moderator of Optiboard.If you count the 2 times all of our posts have been erased due to board upgrades, he probably has a lot more than you realize. I will add also, that he may not post as frequently as he has in the past, but his posts are always worth reading.He has an eye to the future rather than the past which makes him a leg up over a lot of us.

A lttle bird told me he is soon to become a father, which will give him even less time to play Optiboarder!

Congratulations are in order!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald
    ....he is actually a very respected Opticianry educator who resides in Canada, and has been posting her long before you arrived, but you probably know that.
    Yes, and that is great. But as an independent business we have unique needs that is different than theory needs. We have the need of increasing market share and profits.

Maybe I came off harsh. But what is the point in coming here and complaining about an asset to the independents?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry, Dr. McDonald, thanks for the kind words.

For-Life, I agree with you, "IT IS NOT A BIG DEAL" and as I pointed out, it was just my opinion.
    I stopped posting regularly years ago, as everything that needed to be said had been said (and has since been said again, and again, and again). Even on the optics side of things, there are those out there who are better versed than I.

I am still a registered optician and contact lens practitioner, pay my $600 every year for my dues, sit as a Director on my regulatory body, and (try) to contribute to the betterment of my industry as often as I can.

No, I am NO LONGER in a dispening practice, and I do understand your need for assistance for uniquely Canadian solutions. My opinion is that we just fragment the knowledge base by having a sub-forum. Maybe you can't get an Opal frame in the USA, but perhaps someone in the know from the US would be able to offer other options- But, that US poster probably wouldn't be of use here, as they may not read the posting...

Anyway, I am mostly ambivalent about it, but I don't think we need the forum.

And yeah, thanks Harry. Mrs. Shwing (formerly known as Sparkle on this Board) and I are expecting a little Shwing in early August.
    Shwing

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Oh yeah

Oh yeah, forgot to address the issue of being a 'firefighter'.

That's what I do. That's what you do. that's what we all do = fight fires.

I'm always putting out fires.

"my xyz lens doesn't do qweryt"

time to put out a fire...

"The doctor said that blah blah, blah, but these lenses you provided are blah blah, blah..."

time to put out a fire.

It's a figure of speach, and yeah, I'm a firefighter; seems I'm always putting out someone else's fire...
    Shwing

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Shwing
    Oh yeah, forgot to address the issue of being a 'firefighter'.

That's what I do. That's what you do. that's what we all do = fight fires.

I'm always putting out fires.

"my xyz lens doesn't do qweryt"

time to put out a fire...

"The doctor said that blah blah, blah, but these lenses you provided are blah blah, blah..."

time to put out a fire.

It's a figure of speach, and yeah, I'm a firefighter; seems I'm always putting out someone else's fire...
    K, sounds fair. I did overreact because I was working late on stuff and was really tired, so I appologize. But at the same time I still stand by when I question the point of the original post.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ian, Limit your moosehead intake to 12 a night.......diapers are not cheap!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wayne, it's "Lucky beer" from BC (the Island, actually) but brewed right here in Edmonton and only 6 per night (helps me sleep)...

Yeah, diapers.

thanks.

you are buying when I'm there in 3 weeks....
    Shwing

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've got some old ones you can pack on the plane home with you!!!

Thread Information