Thread: Progressive Lens issues-can lab add material to std lens to increase B?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Progressive Lens issues-can lab add material to std lens to increase B?

I am a consumer for whom nothing seems to be easy. I have spent hours reading posts here & find great information, but, unfortunately, no clear answer for me. I would really appreciate any input on my dilemma.

I've worn progressive lenses for over 10 yrs. Mostly Varilux Panamic very successfully. Now wanted smaller frame & needed slightly stronger RX. Chose a semi-rimless frame with B of 28.3. Had planned to stay with Panamic as I knew I liked it, but Optician measured a fitting ht.of 14, I believe & put me in a Definity. Back at Opthamologist (separate office) I mentioned that there was barely any reading area at all, thinking prescrip wasn't strong enough. She measured & found that the full strength of reading power was cut off. Went back to Optician - he argued that the reading power was there, but finally said the FULL power was not. He suggested trying the Varilux Ellipse. I have worn them for a month now & have much better reading area, but strongly dislike them in every other way! I feel like I can only see clearly looking straight ahead -very "swimmy" & blurry wih any side to side or up & down movement. I work at a computer & have to look from papers on my desk back & forth to screen & find this as well as driving, reading, etc. very "uncomfortable" in this lens.

I felt like the frame I chose at 28.3 is not really all that small in comparison to most now, & anything big enough is MUCH bigger. While at a different Optical shop I asked if they felt I could put a Panamic in this frame. She actually measured & said I had a fitting height of 17 (as opposed to 14)but that the Panamic needs 18. She also mentioned I could request the lab to add a mm on to the bottom of the lens when making them to allow more fitting height so I could use the Panamic. Has anyone had experience with this?
    Optician kept prescrip, but it is approx:
    OD: +2.25, Cylind. -.50 AXIS with ADD of +1.50
    (Add'l spec: PD 65 whatever that means!)

So sorry for the long post, but am desperate for a solution. Thank you!!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From the OptiBoard Posting Guidelines:

Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Solution= A Bifocal with a line.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hi!

Yes im always adding a bit extra on supra frames (semi-rimless, nylon cord) to increase reading portion
    Just takes a bit more time and care

Alan

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    From the OptiBoard Posting Guidelines:

Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed.

Judy - (admin & mods et al) -

I am quite pleased with this answer to the question.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, it can be done. The lab might charge extra for it as they aren't just making the lens bigger all around but are actually changing the shape of the lens.

Varilux has a new lens out called the Physio that is supposed to be better then the Panamic and has a fitting height of 17.

I wonder why the 3 mm difference in the fitting height. Was the frame properly adjusted and sitting where you like it both times? Were both opticians level with you when they measured? Did either of them check your older glasses to see where the fitting cross on it is?

Some opticians measure pupil center and some measure at the bottom of the pupil or measure pupil center and drop it a mm.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The best opticians mark it at the pupil height, draw a line at this level (pre adjusted frame) and have the patient stand in their normal relaxed un-propped up position, look at a distant object at approximately eye level and check to see if this line intersects the pupil. Varilux should be set at this height Zeiss Gradal should be 1mm above this. Other brands may have their pecularaities also.

But if not so checked some people walk with head down, others with chin up, either way seg. will be wrong.

Chip

Also note I have just learned that a new lab I am dealing with was moving seg to mid of exteended B measurment when I wanted seg at same height (from top) before exentsion. Make sure your lab understands just what you wanted to accomplish. I usually am just trying to get more bifocal available.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 02-19-2006 at 11:27 AM.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What I do is shine a pen light into the patient's eye and mark the corneal reflex with a marker. I then take the glasses and draw a line right at the bottom of this dot and draw a line through it the other way. This fitting cross should sit right over the pupil. I also use this to double check the pd measurement.

I also like to check the patient's present glasses to see where the fitting cross is. With some patients it is necessary to fit it a little lower because of how they hold their heads.

Bad address email on file Lyrix76's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

In response to your question

Quote Originally Posted by step88
    I am a consumer for whom nothing seems to be easy. I have spent hours reading posts here & find great information, but, unfortunately, no clear answer for me. I would really appreciate any input on my dilemma.

I've worn progressive lenses for over 10 yrs. Mostly Varilux Panamic very successfully. Now wanted smaller frame & needed slightly stronger RX. Chose a semi-rimless frame with B of 28.3. Had planned to stay with Panamic as I knew I liked it, but Optician measured a fitting ht.of 14, I believe & put me in a Definity. Back at Opthamologist (separate office) I mentioned that there was barely any reading area at all, thinking prescrip wasn't strong enough. She measured & found that the full strength of reading power was cut off. Went back to Optician - he argued that the reading power was there, but finally said the FULL power was not. He suggested trying the Varilux Ellipse. I have worn them for a month now & have much better reading area, but strongly dislike them in every other way! I feel like I can only see clearly looking straight ahead -very "swimmy" & blurry wih any side to side or up & down movement. I work at a computer & have to look from papers on my desk back & forth to screen & find this as well as driving, reading, etc. very "uncomfortable" in this lens.

I felt like the frame I chose at 28.3 is not really all that small in comparison to most now, & anything big enough is MUCH bigger. While at a different Optical shop I asked if they felt I could put a Panamic in this frame. She actually measured & said I had a fitting height of 17 (as opposed to 14)but that the Panamic needs 18. She also mentioned I could request the lab to add a mm on to the bottom of the lens when making them to allow more fitting height so I could use the Panamic. Has anyone had experience with this?
    Optician kept prescrip, but it is approx:
    OD: +2.25, Cylind. -.50 AXIS with ADD of +1.50
    (Add'l spec: PD 65 whatever that means!)

So sorry for the long post, but am desperate for a solution. Thank you!!!
    Hello there, I've been a Lead Lab. Tech for a prominent optical company for almost 8yrs. now & am now an apprentice optician. Being in the field for close to 14yrs. working here & there I can tell you that once a lens is already edged down to the sizing of the frame, there is NO WAY possible to add extra lens material to accomodate for a millimeter or 2 of added segment height (or extra reading area) HOWEVER, as a technician what can be done is this.....the lab can when getting the lenses ready to be edged, move the lens itself up a millimeter BUT it is NOT suggested to move it anymore that that. This is within ANSI standards, but then you run the risk of cutting off extra distance viewing. For this reason, you should speak to the licensed optician & request that the lens segment height be moved, or possibly try a frame adjustment. If what you have is 14mm at the most, & need 18, there is no way for a lab technician to increase the height to such an extent, you wouldn't be able to see for beans! You're probably better off w/choosing a larger frame. Although I myself do not know very much about contact lenses, I have heard about a bifocal contact lens that I've heard alot of people have had success with. So if it's vanity or cosmetic reasons that you've chosen such a small frame, you may do well with the bifocal contacts. For the record, I am NOT a doctor, & DO NOT myself fit or dispense contact lenses, but am a lab technician/Apprentice Optician. Good Luck to you, hope this helps you somewhat.

Bad address email on file Lyrix76's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Oh just for the record, I've just read the other suggestions & yes you can remove some lens material from the lens to drop or lower the height, but then you may run the risk of making the lens too small, or in essence changing the shape. Also, if you were to place a washer in the frame, you'd still have to take the lens down, because w/the washer, will cause a gap in the eyewire barrel & alas, the lens will have to be taken down anyway. I agree w/Chip, try a lined bifocal, or as I suggested before, possibly a bifocal contact lens.

Thread Information