Thread: Any experience with FEA industries?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

Any experience with FEA industries?

Anyone have any experience with FEA industries? They're located in PA and seem to have excellent range of lens materials at reasonable rates. Apparently they deal with most of their customers via 2nd day UPS and claim that they can edge and turn around a job within a week. Even though there are some costs to be realized via using UPS on a daily basis it may be worthwhile since the lab rates are reasonable. I would appreciate if any one has any knowledge of the quality of their lab work.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used them about 8 years ago. They were the aboslute lowest priced lab I could find (and I really searched). I used them for about 5 months.

I got what I paid for.

When I left, they were going through management changes (again).

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I know that I've certainly gotten worse in the last 8 years but I do know that FEA is growing substantially. That would seem to reflect satisfaction by their customers. They also have one of the best on-line order-entry/job-checking systems in the industry.

It's really difficult to determine your satisfaction from anothers experience as they may be (probably are) looking for different "satisfiers." Some folks like K-Mart and Wal-Mart. Others Target. How about Bloomingdale's or Nordstrom. They are hardly equal yet all have satisfied customers.

If you think that they might satisfy your expectations, give them a FAIR trial of say, half your business for 2-4 weeks and then compare the pricing and service to your current supplier. Don't be put off by one job.

P.S. When you get to know them, see if you can find out where the name came from.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They get at least 80% of my business, they're going through growing pains but for the price, I'm willing to wait anextra day or two for an AR lens. Since I began using them I have cut my lab costs by an easy 30%.......it's a no brainer if you ask me.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We're talking about the lab out of Pa., right ? The problems we had with them seemed to be input errors such as: we'd order a +4.25 and get a +1.25.

Eight years is a long time, and you're right, a whole bunch of folks must be loving 'em for them to be staying in business, not to mention growing.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I challenge you guys to find cheaper prices! If you can then I would......well, I just challenge you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I dealt with them about 8 years ago too....

I just reoppened my account on monday of this week.
    The prices are good but...
    The order that was placed on Mon at 11:00 am and according to them was supposed to be in the tray and worked on in 20 min ...... is still sitting there waiting for the lenses. I plased the order for FT-28 1.60 clear lenses in -8.00 with 2.50 add......
    So as far as friday afternoon they still waiting for lenses. Their equipment must be verry quick!
    Price is not everything....

BTW High Abbe Tell me how much is your monthly bill and I might find you a lab!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also their range s....

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Odd how we will tell those that appear to be consumers, to never go for the price but go for the quality but when some of us dicuss out suppliers, it seems to be the only concideration.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Chip,

Not at all odd. I wonder if FEA also sells IOL’s.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So far, quality has not been an issue with FEA.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is cheaper better?????????????

Or is a reasonable price with consistant quality better???? :idea:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

cheap

Is this all you guys can think of, CHEAP!, probably the same bunch that sells a 500.00 pair of glasses, and then quibbles over the price of a good eyeglass case, oh my god that case is going to cost me .49 cents and zzzzz optical has them for .41 cents

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

ouch

That stung a little Harry

Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake
    Is this all you guys can think of, CHEAP!, probably the same bunch that sells a 500.00 pair of glasses, and then quibbles over the price of a good eyeglass case, oh my god that case is going to cost me .49 cents and zzzzz optical has them for .41 cents

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake

It's called making wise business decisions, increasing profitability, just plain common sense even.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We don't do in house finishing.. We keep it down to two main labs, one for general purpose, one for Varilux / Crizal.

While certianly we could find a cheaper general purpose lab, we have been doing business with them for over 20 years. When I call, they know who I am, take care of my needs, and have worked with me to resolve patient issues.

I can send patients for same day service if needed. They didn't have an add power I needed for a package job, and they upgraded it a better quality progressive. Heck, I sent a patient down there with a rush situation, and not only did they take care of his regular glasses, but convinced him that he should update his sunpair while there. (something we had discussed, but he was unsure of) They made them and had him call me to give the credit card information over the phone!

The ethics and the care that this company provides is the reason why we won't leave them. The owner calls us regularly to ask about how service and quality has been, and what areas we would like help in. They truly act like a partner.

To us, this is well worth paying an extra $1 on a sv or $3 on a progressive. Price isn't everything.

We all tell our patients that our service and skill is part of what the pay for when they ask why we charge more than sears, or Eyeglass World. We should realize that is part of the price when dealing with our labs.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by High_Abbe
    I challenge you guys to find cheaper prices! If you can then I would......well, I just challenge you.

I'll beat any price by 50%. Everytime! No exceptions!

Please note that I didn't mention turnaround time or quality, and I'd probably still get some opticals that would send me work anyway!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Knew an oldtimer who had a sign:

We make glasses Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick two.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

cheap

Hi abbe, wrong, wrong, and always wrong, agreed it is smart to make rational, decisions about increasing profits, but never, ever at the expense of quality, which is what seems to be the underlying theme of this thread from some of you.
    In all optical establishments, by percentage you reach a point where you just cannot increase the percentage.So what is left is to generate more business, which in turn will leave more profit.
    This however is rarely accomplished by shortchanging the very people that you try to attract. However it is very often accomplished by those who desire to serve there clientle with the best quality possible. In time that quality through word of mouth will accomplish your goal.
    I am not picking on anyone in particular, but over the 40 some odd years i have been in this business, one thing has stood out and that is too many opticians are just plain out cheap. I could tell you stories you probably would not beleive in what i have seen, including some that used to purposely put scratches on the lenses if they cut them too small or the wrong shape, and then send it back to the company for the scratch warranty, and then they wonder why the prices keep increasing.
    I can remember working for Bausch and Lomb years ago and losing an account for only .37 cents on a pair of lenses. If your working that tight your already in trouble.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=harry a saake]Hi abbe, wrong, wrong, and always wrong, agreed it is smart to make rational, decisions about increasing profits, but never, ever at the expense of quality, which is what seems to be the underlying theme of this thread from some of you.

You must not have read my earlier post where I said that quality has not been an issue with this lab.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Thumbs down

What Lenny stated is exactly how my dealing with FEA were. The service was terrible. I will give you the fact that their prices are absolutely unbeatable but with their service and shipping prices I would really consider whether its worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by LENNY
    I dealt with them about 8 years ago too....

I just reoppened my account on monday of this week.
    The prices are good but...
    The order that was placed on Mon at 11:00 am and according to them was supposed to be in the tray and worked on in 20 min ...... is still sitting there waiting for the lenses. I plased the order for FT-28 1.60 clear lenses in -8.00 with 2.50 add......
    So as far as friday afternoon they still waiting for lenses. Their equipment must be verry quick!
    Price is not everything....

BTW High Abbe Tell me how much is your monthly bill and I might find you a lab!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Listen guys and gals, Cheaper is not better.

You get what you pay for. Like many of you out there that had an account with them 8 years ago, I did too.

I got sick and tired of .25 off or I requested a 1.5 edge or a 2.2 edge and got a 4.0 edge. Thats when i stopped the insanity.

Now 8 years later is it better?? I dont know you tell me.

I found a few great labs that give me consistant great quality and the price is reasonable, not the cheapest BUT reasonable and that boils down to less re-oders due to off power and less frustration.

3 Rivers Optical (Pittsburg PA)
    Custom Eyes (Sauk Rapids MN)
    Laramy K (Indianlola IA)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

any FEA updates?

didnt want to write a new thread on FEA. anyone find that they are any better these days?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Using them for some work and everything is on. Had a problem with corrective BC's but rectified with our preferences. Like the Allure 2YR coating.

Thread Information