Thread: Laptop and Powerpoint

Bad address email on file Tammy's Avatar

Question

Help!

Can anyone give me their input on a good laptop and what hardware I will need to run powerpoint demos, I'm getting tired of using overheads and powerpoint is so much nicer. Someone told me that I can also use Microsoft Office 2000 to do the same demo. Does anyone know what the cost of Powerpoint software runs and where I can find it, I have looked at egghead.com but the they have no such title, am I doing something wrong.

Any help, or direction, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tammy

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Tammy,

I believe both Microsoft Office 2000 and Office 97 include PowerPoint.

As for laptops, I think almost any current laptop will run Office 97 software without a problem. Office 2000 probably requires more memory, speed and disk space. Your best bet would be to buy a laptop that already has one of the Office suites on it. Just make sure it includes PowerPoint.

------------------

OptiBoard Administrator

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Go to Dell.
    www.dell.com

All of the Office 2000 suites include PowerPoint with the exception of the "Small Business" version.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Tammy,
    Another good piece to acquire is a cordless mouse. Makes changing the slides much easier since you don't have to run back over to the laptop during your demo.

As always I knew I would be able to get the information I needed, You are all great, thank you for the replies. I'm going with the MS Office, and have bid on a pc, and will check out that mouse.

Tammy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tammy,

I have lots of friends who use laptops with powerpoint projection, as do I. I have a Compaq Presario and it came with the microsoft package containing Powerpoint. It's three years old, and still performs well. I just about only use it for presentation purposes, but if I used it for anything else, I would upgrade to a faster laptop at this point. I thought I was going to this year, but it runs well, and presents well, and what can I say?

I have upgraded to Microsoft 2000 and like it a lot. It allows you to see the notes, the outline and the slide all at the same time if you want, as you're creating the slides.

I've used my husband's IBM thinkpad for presenting, and it loads and operates a lot faster, and if I could justify the expense, that's what I would probably purchase. BUT alas, I'm but a meager Optician, not an IBM executive.

What will you be presenting on?

Diane

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You need a projector to use it for presentations at meetings. My company has one and it is $6000.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for your input Diane on your laptop and what you really think would be of benefit. I have been shopping off and on for the last several months but have decided it is now on the front burner.

How about the rest of you? What type of laptop should I be thinking.

PS-I love Power Point also on the Microsoft 2000 Officed edition.

See you in NY.
    Bev

Diane,

Thank you for the input, I speak at conferences, on the How To Dos of Medical Billing, for OD's and OMD's, and compliance issues, etc.....

cah2020 thank you, but no thank you, I'm not in need of a projector.

As always, your friend in the billing department,

Tammy

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

In April, the practice purchased me a Dell 3800 450mhz Celeron laptop. This has run both Office 2000 and PowerPoint with no problems (and yep, the PowerPoint comes with the Office 2000). Coincidentally, I found that its really easy to create images in CorelDraw (which I use for my graphics) and import them into the PowerPoint. Plus the Dell support has been outstanding!

Pete "is it snowing up there?" Hanlin

Thread Information