Thread: Crizal Alize with Clear Guard-Wow

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crizal Alize with Clear Guard-Wow

My husband's new glasses are so easy to clean. I cleaned mine with Teflon and then his with the Alize with Clear Guard and the difference was amazing!

I do understand there is a new Teflon AR coming which is supposed to be better.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Clear Guard? Hmmmmm

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance
    Clear Guard? Hmmmmm
    Anti-static

We have had our first few jobs with it. Seems nice. As far as slipperiness goes I cannot tell the difference. But nice to see Crizal update it, because they really did not have to.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I think when you get right down to it, Alize w/ Clear Gard is simply Alize w/ anti-stat. Teflon has had an anti-stat layer for some time. The "slipperyness" would not necessarily be affected by the new "Clear Gard" process.

I would simply caution that "slipperyness" is but one feature in the overall performance of an AR lens and, at a point, hard to really differentiate.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Alize with Clear Guard is vastly better then my old Teflon lenses. I can't believe how easily they clean. And they really do stay clean longer.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Help Me Chris!!!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim G
    I think when you get right down to it, Alize w/ Clear Gard is simply Alize w/ anti-stat. Teflon has had an anti-stat layer for some time. The "slipperyness" would not necessarily be affected by the new "Clear Gard" process.

I would simply caution that "slipperyness" is but one feature in the overall performance of an AR lens and, at a point, hard to really differentiate.
    Well there are other features too. Scratch resistance, but Teflon, Alize, and Advantage are comparable in that realm. Super Hi leads that area. Saying that, I do not get scratched Alize lenses back in the store.

Duriability is another major feature, and all four of the named ones seem to have that.

Light transmission is a unique feature. Advantage and Teflon both have the blue coating in the US which, on average, allows more light transmission. Question is if it is a meaningful amount. Also, Alize has the blue coating in Canada and I think the rest of the World.

Ease of edge is a thing. Teflon you need nothing to cut them. Alize has the protective coating. Super-Hi and Advantage have stickers, which can be a pain. HOWEVER, this point is only valid if everything else is equal.

Anti-Static. Another nice feature, but only a bonus. Teflon and Alize both have it now. Super Hi and Advantage does not.

So now we come down to the last thing. Ease of clean. Sounds like the Advantage is great, and the Super Hi is very good. But Teflon is terrible compared to the others, and I hear that Alize is the best.

For these variables I will rank them on imporantance:

1. Duriability
    2. Scratch Resistance
    3. Ease of clean
    4. Ease of Edge
    5. Residual Colour
    6. Anti-Static.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Stock poly w/Alize in minus lenses are very susceptible to crazing, during edging AND also when handling with difficult frames, not the Advantage w/AR. At smaller eye sizes, poly flexes very easily and causes the Alize to craze. This may be due to the different coating applied under the AR. I am very weary of using this product in drill mount frames, where the lense is under constant stress. Lense materials other than poly have not been a problem.
    Joseph Felker
    AllentownOptical.com

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jofelk
    Stock poly w/Alize in minus lenses are very susceptible to crazing, during edging AND also when handling with difficult frames, not the Advantage w/AR. At smaller eye sizes, poly flexes very easily and causes the Alize to craze. This may be due to the different coating applied under the AR. I am very weary of using this product in drill mount frames, where the lense is under constant stress. Lense materials other than poly have not been a problem.
    with Airwear Crizal you just have to make sure that you put a pad on both sides, use low pressure settings and use a chuck size that matches the pressure size. Do that and they will not craze.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    with Airwear Crizal you just have to make sure that you put a pad on both sides, use low pressure settings and use a chuck size that matches the pressure size. Do that and they will not craze.

Tha lenses can craze when flexed during handling. I do not have confidence in the AR stability in certain frames, drill mounts especially.
    Joseph Felker
    AllentownOptical.com

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jofelk
    Tha lenses can craze when flexed during handling. I do not have confidence in the AR stability in certain frames, drill mounts especially.
    hmm, never had that problem before and I use a lot of it. Sounds like something you should discuss with the lab who coats it.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile 911 call........................

Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance
    Help Me Chris!!!
    I came running......I listen to 911 calls........................

Actually there is a "CRYSTAL CLEAR GUARD" that does the same thing and some more............like anti-fog.

It can also be applied after cutting the lenses, so you will not have any slippage problems........and you purchase the lens without the extra topcoat and apply it just before mounting the lenses.

check it out at http://optochemicals.com/crystalclear.htm

Thread Information