Thread: Progressives and Peripheral Vision

OptiBoard Novice

Progressives and Peripheral Vision

I apoligize in advance if this question has been asked previously - I did not find it readily when I did a word search. I am 48 years old and I have my first pair of progressives (near sighted since 7th grade but never a problem reading until recently) and I am finding the lack of peripheral vision for distance difficult to adjust to. The optician put me into a Varilux Comfort. Question - is there a significant difference in the width of peripheral vision at distance between different brands or styles of progressives? If it matters (and it is all greek to me) my prescription is as follows: OD -4.50-.50X90; OS -5.00 sph; Add +1.00. Much thanks for any input the professionals on this board can provide.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by loanoak
    I apoligize in advance if this question has been asked previously - I did not find it readily when I did a word search. I am 48 years old and I have my first pair of progressives (near sighted since 7th grade but never a problem reading until recently) and I am finding the lack of peripheral vision for distance difficult to adjust to. The optician put me into a Varilux Comfort. Question - is there a significant difference in the width of peripheral vision at distance between different brands or styles of progressives? If it matters (and it is all greek to me) my prescription is as follows: OD -4.50-.50X90; OS -5.00 sph; Add +1.00. Much thanks for any input the professionals on this board can provide.
    yes there is a difference between the brands and designs. Have a chat with your local optician and work it through with him. You might find all they need is a minor adjustment!

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Contact your optician if the problem persists for more than ten days, or if the symptoms are severe.

Question - is there a significant difference in the width of peripheral vision at distance between different brands or styles of progressives?

Significant differences? No, not at this add power. However, if you get enough things wrong, and use a lens design and/or material that is known to have below par off-axis performance, the cumulative result might be described as significant blurring.

Hope this helps,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    As noted above, there is a difference in how various progressives deal w/ peripheral vision but, the problem--particularly w/ your Rx--could be with the lens material used. The higher index lens materials, often used with higher prescription powers, can have a significant effect on peripheral vision.

Three q's come to mind: what material was used, what material did you use before and did you change frames and, if so, was it of a different size?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm starting to be of the opinion that the best two materials for progressives are CR39 and MR8 (1.6)

OptiBoard Novice
    Thanks for the comments. I talked to the optician and he is suggesting that the new Varilux Physio might work better - any thoughts?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by loanoak
    Thanks for the comments. I talked to the optician and he is suggesting that the new Varilux Physio might work better - any thoughts?
    He is the optician who has consulted with you, and knows you better than we do, so go with what he says, and if you are at all unsure about it - ask him to explain his desicion in laymans terms

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you want peripheral vision, get bifocal with a line doesn't matter what they are made of, or what design, they all have plenty of peripheral vision at distance and a lot more at near than any progressive.Jus cause it's newer, higher tech and more expensive, don't mean it's better.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Chip, I'd be interested in what your Rx is and what you're wearing.

Your "advice" is technically correct but not user friendly.

Thread Information