Thread: Vision Expo NY hotel

Bad address email on file

Vision Expo NY hotel

I know there are no cheap hotels in NYC, can anybody recommend some not so expensive ones? I've heard somebody stayed outside of Manhattan and commute every day to the fair. Is that a good idea?

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

New Jersey Hotels much less

Stay across the Hudson River in NJ for much less.

Someone from NJ, please name some cities for this request.

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Hi Lakcheong,

If you want to stay outside of Manhattan but easily accessable to Manhattan there is a Sheraton in Flushing, Queens. Their website is http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/index.html. They charge approximately 190USD per night. There are many restauarants near by as well as the Long Island Rail Road and subway (No. 7 Train) which goes into Manhattan.

You can find other hotels in Manhattan at this website:

http://www.hotelscheap.org

Hotels in the same price range as the Sheraton in Flushing will likely be lower in quality but I can not verify. Perhaps someone in Manhattan has a more current view of the hotels there.

The nicer hotels in Manhattan will cost over 300USD per night.

Doc

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I stay on the upper west side, sometimes at the Excellsior and it's not really that bad if you book early enough ($175-225) It's accross from Museum of Nat Hist. and down from Central Park. The subway is 1/2 a block, and you can take it to a hotel with the free shuttle that will take you right there. The Park Central is another nice one. Don't ever, ever, stay at the Riverside. ($99!) I did one year, I checked in, and left in the middle of the night.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    try the Herald Square. Small single is $105 with bath. Very bare bones but in manhattan around 32nd st. Best deal is direct on their own website, use a search engine for it.

Occupation
    For the best bargain in town, may want to check into private clubs. For example, as a member I stay at the Dartmouth alumni club in New York City and at the US Marine Memorial Club in San Francisco. If you do not have membership perhaps a family member or close friend does and can book you in. In both of these cases you get a great room right in the heart of town for under $100.00 a night. Best of all, no riff-raff.

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Holiday Inn Downtown

Try the Holiday Inn Downtown. It's on the triangle point of Little Italy, Tribeca, and Chinatown. A cab, subway, or refreshing walk can get you to the Javits Convention Center. Rates start at $169. 212-966-8898, www.hidowntown-nyc.com. You'll be pleasantly surprised by the rooms, service, and location.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Best value in NYC is...

in NJ!

The NY waterway ferry http://www.nywaterway.com/ runs every 15 min from something like 5am to 1am. It will take you from the Joisey side and drop you off directly behind the Jacob Javitz center, 1/2 a block from the front door. I go in this way every time I go to VE, it's the best way to do it. No traffic, NYC parking fees, etc.

If you stay in Weehawkin, Rutherford, Edgewater or Secaucus, you are no more than 10 minutes by cab or shuttle to the ferry terminal.

Just a quick Google netted these hotels in the area:
    http://www.extendedstaynetwork.com/S...timeout=650000

Hope this helps! If you need more info, just ask!
    Last edited by quantum; 02-14-2006 at 04:21 PM.
    Michael Della Pesca
    Quantum Optical
    http://quantumoptical.com

NEW! Online ABO/NCLE CE Credits for Opticians!

NEW! Online REVIEW courses for the ABO and NCLE exams!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Nicest and best value is The Broadway Inn (www.broadwayinn.com) located just one block off Times Square on 46th and 8th. EZ walk (1 block) to the Marriott and bus transport to VEE. Also, 46th street restaurant row starts just across the street. And, you're in the middle of the theatre district.

Only about 38 small but squeeky-clean rooms; the same 2 ladies that clean up have been there at least for the 9 years I've been using the hotel. Courtesy breakfast of juice, coffee and donuts/biscuits (worth $12 at the Marriott). Freindly, helpful service. Believe the rooms start arouind $170 but with NYC taxes, it'll be closer to $200-210...be prepared.

Brian, the busboy with the BIG smile featured in their web page will greet you at the door as the "hotel" starts on the 2nd floor; only small detriment is that you have to walk the stairs...there are no elevators (to wait...and wait...and wait for). I think he's been there 25 years or so.

Most of the clientel, aside from all the optical folks that now stay there that I've let in on my little secret, are either foreign or families there for the theatre.

Great little place.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I attended the Vision Expo East last year, and was pleased with staying at the Holiday Inn Midtown in Manhattan. I think the deal I got was $120 per night (booked online via the Holiday Inn website), which was awesome for the location!

The Javits Center offered bus transportation to and from the hotel every 30 minutes or so for free, so that was very convenient. Also convenient was the subway and Central Park (about 2 blocks walking distance), and plenty of great places to eat!

If I were attending VEE again this year, I would definitely stay there again. But I'm going to SECO instead ... Atlanta, here I come! :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I received an offer today from Reed Exhibition for total of $205 at the NY Hilton. Also check hotels.com

Thread Information