Thread: just wondering

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

just wondering

I know I am not really allowed to post on this forum & you will tell me to look on google but I was just wondering.. what is the highest eye prescription someone can have before t is unable to be corrected? I mean talking in simple terms like just the shp. (forgive me if I sound like a simpleton) like I have heard of a -19 prescription but how strong can glasses actully get????
    yours sincerely
    curious Iris
    x

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Iris, they can be made stronger than a human eye will ever need. -35's are possible.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    so - wat is too minus to be corrected by glasses then? or does it not work like this?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As the power goes up, the distortion as you get away from the center goes up.

Hense once a precription gets high enough, the improvement as compared to glasses, goes up with contact lenses. Amoung other things, the center of the lens moves almost as much as the eye moves, so the patient is always seeing throught the center of the contact lens. Other advantages: Near sighted people see images larger (more nearly normal size) in contacts which are closer to the eye. There is a point when glasses are just a vehicle to find the bathroom and your contact lenses with.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by shyiris
    so - wat is too minus to be corrected by glasses then? or does it not work like this?
    While it is possible to make almost any lens the human eye could need, not all vision problems are correctable with lenses. People who have very high prescriptions may have other serious eye health issues which may impede vision, and it's just not correctable with any lens...no matter how strong.

And, just because someone may have a high prescription, it does not mean they will have limited vision. They may be perfectly correctable to 20/20.

hope this helps.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have made a pair of -29.00's for a patient that usually wore contacts. They weren't pretty. She was unable to wear them. She corrected to 20/40 in her contacts.

I have seen another pair that was in the low -20's.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

lenses

shy lady, years ago when i was with Bausch and Lomb, special rx division, glasses were made up to 40 diopters. now in previous posts you have read all the bad effects which are true, but it was the best we had to offer at the time, and if you ever saw a person who was minus 36, put them on and cry because they could see something, if not much it was very gratifying. i would also point out however that anyone who is much past 20/800, it starts to become a moot point whether there 20/800 or 20/1200

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    hmm very interesting - thanks for your replies

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    As the power goes up, the distortion as you get away from the center goes up.

Hense once a precription gets high enough, the improvement as compared to glasses, goes up with contact lenses. Amoung other things, the center of the lens moves almost as much as the eye moves, so the patient is always seeing throught the center of the contact lens. Other advantages: Near sighted people see images larger (more nearly normal size) in contacts which are closer to the eye. There is a point when glasses are just a vehicle to find the bathroom and your contact lenses with.

Chip
    I would like to wear contacts but the darn astigmatism ( I think that is what they call it) has prevented them from being fitted with stability - after seeing 5 fitters. :-( last one said it was my eyelids that were making them move round too much ! i must have strange shaped eyes :-/

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You must have a contact lens person that is not competent with rigid lens fitting. There is no such thing as too much astigmatism, and practically no such thing as an eye shape that cannot be fit.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was also wondering about that. Are they trying to fit you with soft or hard lenses? If you have a high amount of astigmatism and they're trying to fit you in a soft lens, that's probably why you're having so much trouble but if they are indeed fitting you in a gas perm, then I'd say the fitter is the problem. Hmmmmmmm............

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Of course, you would never do something like this...

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    You must have a contact lens person that is not competent with rigid lens fitting. There is no such thing as too much astigmatism, and practically no such thing as an eye shape that cannot be fit.
    Well, Chip, you have to allow for the possibility that her fitters held the opinion that there was really no point in trying to explain the detailed reasons why they felt she was not a good candidate for contacts to a layperson ignorant of the mysteries of opticianry, and so left her with a mistaken impression of the reasons behind their determinations.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    I was also wondering about that. Are they trying to fit you with soft or hard lenses? If you have a high amount of astigmatism and they're trying to fit you in a soft lens, that's probably why you're having so much trouble but if they are indeed fitting you in a gas perm, then I'd say the fitter is the problem. Hmmmmmmm............
    Hi - they tried to fit me with the soft toric lenses - infact 5 people have tried to fit me with them - although the last person said they fitted right I just did not get good vision out of them - blurred. I tried the RGPs which I used to wear with no problem but now I cannot stand the pain! I tried to get used to them - lying on my bed unable to open my eyes for more than a few seconds- it was torture.

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Norvilles, one of the biggest independant lbs in the Uk once had an order for a pair of -96.00's. These had to be made each with 2 lenses cemented back to back, with a viewable aperture of about 1cm diameter. A year later an order for the same person came through at -104.00, they were physically unable to make them!!

Lewy

OptiBoardaholic
    You are right shanbaum. I also believe that the spirit with which Chip was speaking was also correct. I think the whole moral to what consumers can learn from Shyiris' situation is that not all offices, docs, and opticians are created equal. If you talk to most business people you will find that the feeling that reputation is all you really have is fairly universal. So why don't consumers take this message and seek out services from businesses and professionals with excellent reputations? In the case of Shyiris, you don't go to an ophthalmologist for a good contact lens evaluation, that is not what they are known for. Nor, are they known for their expertize in refractions and spectacle fabrication. What they are known for is their excellent knowledge of ocular/neural pathology and ability to perform ocular surgery. All of this doesn't count for every opthalmologist, but general rules are general rules for a reason.

As a little side note to the max prescription part of the thread...

At least theoretically - The way I see it, there would never be a need for any prescription above +/- 60 diopters due to the length of the eyeball. +60D would be if the cornea was completely flat and there is no intraocular lens. -60D would extend the focal point of even the highest cumilative convergent power of an eye to the retina. Of course, I am not sure that this accounts for the index change from air to vitreous. Just food for thought!
    Last edited by SpecialT; 02-09-2006 at 01:29 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shy.....out of curiosity, what's your rx? Do you know? I too require a toric lens and no matter what new lens they come out with, I never like them. They never fit right. See, it's the opposite for me, I always see really good, but always feel like somethings in my eye. I've been told to go with gas perms for the best fit and results. I just would rather wear glasses.

Software Engineer NetPriva.com mirage2k2's Avatar
    Occupation
    I had a set of torics years ago and the vision was not good - turned out one of them was too small and wasn't sitting on my eye correctly - the optician ordered a larger one! Vision was better but the lense was a bit big - sometimes it sat right sometimes it didn't. Ended up going with another brand that had a better selection of sizes. Also a medium by brand X might be smaller/bigger than a medium by brand Y.

An optician that specializes in contacts should be able to examine the lenses on your eyes to determine if they fit.
    Last edited by mirage2k2; 02-10-2006 at 06:58 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    Shy.....out of curiosity, what's your rx? Do you know? I too require a toric lens and no matter what new lens they come out with, I never like them. They never fit right. See, it's the opposite for me, I always see really good, but always feel like somethings in my eye. I've been told to go with gas perms for the best fit and results. I just would rather wear glasses.
    my rx is on the other thread started by me starting 'hi i'm new ' :)

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Iris, you need to come to MS and let Chip fit you. He is right no asigmatism should be too much to wear. You may not be able to wear soft lenses. It may be due to the fact of them rotating in your eyes not your eyelids. Chip is the contact lens expert.

Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip!
    Chip!
    Chip!

BTW Chip ! How much do you charge for a new RGP fit?
    Do you package it with the lenses?
    How much is a yearly refit?
    Do you charge for a 3 month folow up if needed?

Thanks in advance1

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie
    Iris, you need to come to MS and let Chip fit you. He is right no asigmatism should be too much to wear. You may not be able to wear soft lenses. It may be due to the fact of them rotating in your eyes not your eyelids. Chip is the contact lens expert.

Steph
    where's MS? What does that stand for?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Ever the good Samaritan ...

Where's MS? What does that stand for?
    Mississippi.

Start with the yellow one that's the biggest: Texas.

Mississippi is blue, and it's due east (two states over to the right) from Texas.

Are you posting more now, and enjoying it less? Switch to RinselWorld™. It's a whole 'nuther smoke.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 02-12-2006 at 11:22 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Where's Blackburn?

If you could tell me where Blcakburn is, I may find a top notch contact lens fitter for you.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane
    If you could tell me where Blcakburn is, I may find a top notch contact lens fitter for you.

Diane
    Blackburn is lancashire - north west england

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    when I had contacts in the past which I could see out of OK I could only wear them for 8 hours or so before they got sore, not good when i am working a 13 hr shift.

if i am ever near MS i shall make an appointment wiv chip :)

Thread Information