Thread: Issue with Uncut Lab

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Angry Issue with Uncut Lab

I need to ask if I'm being unreasonable with what used to be one of my uncut suppliers. They won't respond to emails or phone calls. The President of the Lab emailed me in November after the incident I will describe below and stated he would call and we would work something out. I'm still waiting on his call and he won't return mine.

I sent a "Hot Rush" Order through the lab for a very good patient of ours and needed it overnight shipped. I spoke with the Customer Service Manager and we lined up shipping. The shipment arrived at 8:00 pm. We were closed by then and the patient had to leave on vacation without the pair and was pretty upset. We did edge his old lenses into a new frame no charge until he got back, but he was still unhappy since I had assured him that I talked to the lab and they would get them to me UPS Overnight AM - by noon. It wasn't shipped that way and therefore didn't arrive until that night - late!

I called the lab the day after and asked to speak to someone about this. Am I unreasonable to expect my lab to take some responsiblitiy. I was charge $25.00 for shipping on this job. Now I have an angry patient that is gone and a charge for $25 when that isn't what I received. I still have the emails from the president and he said they take no responsibility. When I emailed back and asked if this is how they handle problems, he closed my account! From then on they haven't responded to emails or calls. I'm extremely confused??? I know that if that is how they are I shouldn't want to do business with them but they had amazing uncut prices on certain lenses. Can anyone explain what I might have done to deserve this type of treatment? My account was closed with no explanation because I had an issue with the service from the shipping dept. on ONE shipment.

What would you have done in this situation? Would you have accepted the response "it's not our problem"? And what would you have done if they closed your account for replying that "some of it is your problem"? Obviously I'm extremely confused and never experienced this type of treatment from a lab. I know this lab has been mentioned as a cheap lab here on OptiBoard and they advertise in some smaller trade mags. I will not mention the name as this is not the place to bad mouth them without them to share their side, but I just want your opinion as to whether I'm in the wrong in some way. Sorry this post is so long, but this has really upset me and I need to know if I'm missing something.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They seem to have a problem - its thier own internal problem, you are better off not dealing with them

I agree with you - no reason for lack of communication. The next step you have is to doorstep them, if you really want to resolve the issue

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I cant say I ever heard that before.
    That is some pretty poor service. If you paid for early AM and they did not ship it that way, They should give you a refund for the diffence in early AM and however it actually shipped. They obviously do not have to pay the shipper.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    do they have to take responsibility? No

would it be smart for them to? That is another question

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only customers that I've ever chased off are ones that have been abusive, irrational and obnoxiuos!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ditto

Very unprofessional...
    It's like being a travel agent... I help people see the world!

CDOT
    I have worked in a few wholesale labs there has been more than a couple of times where ive had to close an account They include:

1)ultra strict (nit picking unobtainable tolerances)

2)call the lab on a lens quote and leave out certain details of the custom nature of the rx, send the job in with the name of the csr and price.(done on purpose over and over to get cheaper lab work)

3)threatening to close the account (when they are 45 days over due)

4) generally unpleasant behavior to csrs time and time again

5)trouble paying

Or a combination of the above.

I dont know you but Id guess you probably irritated the bosses favorite csr

Occupation
    Find another lab. This was totally un-professional

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    I heard Jacqui does some fine work! :D
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by OpticLabRat
    I heard Jacqui does some fine work! :D
    Thank you. For a Cheesehead I am pretty good.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier

Are they in PA?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Was the package actually marked for next day by noon? I have seen occasions when the lab/supplier/etc.. did do their part, but the shipper didn't do as they promised. Most of the time the shipping company will only refund the price of shipping, but sometimes you can get them to work out something more..

The second suggestion is: When you have something that is important like this, I usually make a note and post it by the phone. That way if the product isn't here when promised, I can follow up and know what the status is... And yes sometimes I have to make that call during lunch, and sometimes I have to stay late to make it right. On the other hand, my main two labs are local and they will actually let me send patients there to do "emergency" services at no extra charge. (As long as I don't abuse it.)

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

Wink Take your business elsewhere.

There are alot of good independants in the midwest. People who really will appreciate your business. We had issues with a lab here in town and even though its cost us a little in turn around time, we won't use them.

You're better off without them and the stress. I hope you're having fun and making money!!

Occupation
    Thank you all for your replies. I am one who hates to call the lab. So this was the first time I'd ever talked to a rep on the phone and I had only had the account open for about 3 months before this happened. I always send a small portion at first to see how good the lab is before sending more their way. Their prices on a number of lenses were half of almost every lab I'm dealing with. That was the reason that I was upset to lose my account. I know lenses and I don't need their "expertise" over the phone with optics questions or availability.

And to Cassandra, no it was shipped via the incorrect method. So it was the lab that shipped differently than the Head of Cust. Serv. told me. In that case had they shipped right it would have been there. I didn't expect free lenses or anything like that I just didn't feel like I should have to pay the full $25 for shipping. I was willing to pay second day price since thats the service I felt I got. I wasn't even asking for the entire shipping back.

Lenny I think you know exactly who I'm talking about. PA is correct.

CR-39 Uncoated Lined Multifocals(bi's and tri's) as well as Transitions CR-39 surfaced lined multifocals (bi's and tri's) are what I was using them for. I have a number good labs for the various AR coatings and progressives as well as my stock source. Anyone have any advise on a low priced uncut lab for the above mentioned lens types (uncoated CR-39 lined and Transitions CR-39 lined)?

Thanks again for comments. Like I said it had just been bothering me for a while now and I needed to know what everyone else thought.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Service & Best Price

You mention unbelievable prices. To work on very low margins they may have very strict policies. It sounds to me like maybe expecting someone to sell you items at very low low prices and then cover you up with service.

Unfortunately it does not work that way in the real world. At some point you have to pay for what you get. It sounds to me like you ran right into one area that allowed them to offer such low pricing. I would guess their attitude is we will try to do our best with shipping but we do not guarantee any delivery times whether it is there mistake or not.

I would suggest you try another supplier who offers the same pricing and see if there service is any better.

Your logic was not unreasonable until you consider the LOW LOW Prices offered.

Sometimes you have to consider all dynamics. If you had said on the other hand, that a supplier who charges premium prices treated you like this I would say they should definitly take responsiblity for there actions. Premium Price = Premium Service and LOW LOW PRICE = ___________ fill in the blank.

I am just trying to look at this objectively for your benefit. Others may think that people can sell Premium products for LOW LOW prices and offer Premium service but I don't know how some can financially survive by doing so. The margins for lens distritution just don't allow for a lot of extra profit margin.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Thumbs down The accused had no defense......................

There one point in this story that is not too clear...........................

You all have passed judgement on a but one sided story or accusation................the accused had no chance of any defense.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    There one point in this story that is not too clear...........................

You all have passed judgement on a but one sided story or accusation................the accused had no chance of any defense.
    Thats OK, because tha lab is un-named, and he was only asking if everyone else thought the same as him - "is this situation unreasonable"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Was that the regular delivery time?

Or they madea special effort t5o get them to your office at night?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use FEA Industries......they're very inexpensive...not always the best customer service (not the worst either),but then again I called Marchon yesterday and by the end of the phone call I was ready to throw the phone on the the floor. I guess my point is that stuff happens, no matter how much you pay or don't pay for a product. And if a customer wants the near impossible, then I would tell them that it is nearly impossible but we'll do our best!

Occupation
    Chris: The point of this post was simply to ask what I may be missing. I would LOVE to hear their side of the story. That is what I've been trying to accomplish since November. I didn't name the lab here as I'm just putting this as a hypothetical. If the lab would like to resond that is their right, but I'm not stating who they are due to the fact that they can't/won't respond. Obviously there are two sides to every story! I would like to hear the other side as more than anyone.

To take the point AWTECH made. I agree that I was paying a low price and therefore I guess I should expect low quality of service. All I was asking is that if I'm told one thing that it actually be what I receive and if I don't receive that service I shouldn't be charged for it. I think that is basic customer service in any industry. Again I didn't want the job or shipping credited. When I called at the end of the day to find out why I hadn't received the job they didn't know and said it was shipped next day afternoon, not what the manager of cust. service told me she was going to do. I made one call and then the President emailed me and the account was closed. This is why I decided to post, I don't get it.

High Abbe you stated you recommend FEA. How do you think that lab would handle a situation like this since they are a cheap uncut lab?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    What was your tone of voice?
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Thread Information