Thread: Round, Oval, Square, Rimless

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Round, Oval, Square, Rimless

That covers the trends for the last 20 yrs. Pre round was big, and small before that.

What do ya'll think will be the next fad? Are there any shapes that seem to be moving faster than others in your area?

James

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think we should look at hairstyles. If big hair returns, sizes would go up. If hair is moderate, sizes are moderate.

I can't see going back to retro small or retro huge, since that has been so played.

I expect eyesizes to moderate to about 50.

I think all shapes are going to be in the mix in the future. Some may be "classic" like the aviator or round, but all will be available.

I could see more whimsy/art/expressive glasses getting mainstream, as well as the heavy metallic/stone/"bling" (hate that word) look.

I think style is going to be more important to your average consumer than ever before, an maybe enough to consider multiple pairs.

Materials should abound, especially stainless, titanium, beta-titanium and memory metals for that "thin look" (which is an instant classic IMO).

Multicolored laminated zyls are going to proliferate.

Prices are going to settle in around $150-250 retail, IMO.
    It should be a nice future for frames.

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Lenses are the BD

Lenses are the big deal (BD) right now, and that shows no signs of abating, only increasing. Without the necessity of lenses to correct vision, you wouldn't need frames. That makes me think that rimless - maybe different sizes, shapes, materials, and technology (i.e. unique hinges or mountings) will be in the forefront for a long time.

Wrap styles in sunwear and regular wear will increase as lenses are developed to handle wrap curves while still delivering visual clarity.

Technology rules our everyday lives (i.e. vehicles with more options, iPods, computers), and technology rules in the optical industry and with optical products, too.

OptiBoardaholic
    I am thinking, plastic and bling. People today just seem to be getting bolder and bolder. They seem to want to stand out a little more. The work place isn't as strict in dress code, therefore I don't see a trend toward conservative styles. I agree that hair styles are a major driving force and it seems that long hair is getting more and more common. Frames could easily be heading right back to its roots in the jewelry market.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have a wild theory about why styles are going wilder: "The Paris Hilton Syndrome".

Here's how it goes: people watch reality TV and see nobodies without any real talent (like Paris) getting famous: Survivor, Big Brother, etc. Fifteen minutes of fame is definitely the goal.

Another thing is the internet. Somehow, being able to blog, like I'm doing here, makes everyone feel more part of a big world.

So, why not be a star? Why not stand out? Why blend in?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I'm with SpecialT - kids where I am are asking for bigger, chunkier, plastic frames that make a statement....but why wouldn't this be the case? We've had 10 years of miniscule frames and they want to be different. Look at sunglasses - all new designer ones are big again...this is where we are going unless, as was previosly stated, technology gets involved.

Thread Information