Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One less buck in Pennsylvania!

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Hi everybody!

Back from Pennsylvania (if I would have heard one more person say "what's the matter- can't vote straight down there in Florida" I would have gone postal ).

Glad to see y'all have kept up the spirit of the forum these past two weeks (wow, those are some posts...). Had a terrific (if busy) trip to the Keystone State and- as the title suggests- I managed to meet with the premiere success for a Pennsylvania hunter. At 2:26pm on Monday afternoon, I bagged an 8 point buck from my spot on Hominy Ridge. Naturally, the ****** ran to the lowest spot in the area before giving up the ghost (I swear he was laughing at me the entire 1 mile drag out of the valley ;) ).

Well, back to the fray. My desk and email look relatively clean considering... The house is all ready for Christmas, and I'm making another turkey this weekend to have with the wife and kids (only my daughter and I went to Penna. this year).

Missed y'all,
    Pete

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

petemiester,

So ya snagged a buck huh? Have you went hunting here in the "dimple" state? :) I went to West Virginia a couple years back and got a 12pt. that dressed out at a 145lbs. and then went out here to one of the "hunting clubs" and the deer I saw (these stinking scrawny scrub deer) and thought I was sighting in on fawns!! I got one and it dressed out at a whopping 60lbs. That was almost not worth gutting and dragging back to the truck.
    The thing that really made me sick is they used DOGS to run the deer here .. that's is down right disgusting. If I pulled my tick's out up in WV everyone would have wanted to know why I brought my coon dogs deer hunting ..LOL .. If I woulda been caught running a buck with dogs up there I would have found some dead dogs at the end of the day.
    Glad to see ya made it through the season and back down to keep us all str8t. BTW when I lived in Washington DC I went up to Culpepper with a "city" guy never been hunting and he went and bought a brand NEW weatherbie rifle (around $1200) and he got a buck the first day.. I told him to be careful and deers will play dead and gorde ya if you are not careful.. he wanted to take the rack and make a gun shelf.. so he puts his rifle in the antlers and gets ready to have his picture taken.. the deer jumps up and runs off WITH his rifle still in it's antlers!!!
    He found me and we tracked it for probably two or three hours and never found the deer or the rifle!! LOL
    If anyone is hunting in the Va. W.Va. border and finds that rifle let me know!!LOL

Jeff" glad to see ya got lucky" Trail

PS. tick's= blue tick hounds (for the hunting impaired) :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Great Job, Pete.

I wanted to get to the cabin up in Blossburg this year, but with the new business it wasn't in the cards.

I am sure my cousin Danny will be calling me this weekend to tell me about the 12 pointer that walked right under my tree stand.....lol

Oh,well. There is always next year!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Good Job Pete,

I've yet to get mine but 1 1/2 hrs before work each day doesn't afford me much time to be as lucky as you guys who can actually spend a whole day out in the woods.

Next Sat will be litterally ballistic here since we can shoot the he's or she's. If I don't score then, I'll take a day or two off and enjoy the muzzleloader season.

Let us know when you have the pictures.

Kevin

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Congratulations Pete, Couldn't have done it without me! For what its worth, I'm not buying the lostRifle story from above post.

Me either :D

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

What do I have to do swear on a stack of "dispensing ophthalmic" handbooks? ...
    That was and is a TRUE story :) .. I even have a copy of the picture somewhere in one of my boxes of pic's at home.. I'll see if I can find it and post it :)
    If you believe me or not (like it matters) I still talk to this person ever so often, he still lives in Tysons Corner, that's right on the beltway& rt.7. .. needless to say, if you didn't believe that one you'll never get this one, I had a friend who was a game warden for the state of W.Va. and a guy from N.Y.C actually brought a MULE in to a check point to get it tagged. :)
    Oh well, I have an article that was wriiten on that one in the Charleston Gazzete (W.Va.) ..The game wardens name is Larry Null and works out of greenbriar county in W.Va. maybe if they have it in some archive somewhere..this was in hmm.. 1985 or 6.
    I don't blame you guys no one ever thinks I'm telling the truth about either one of these till I show them the article and or the picture. :)

Jeff "believe it or not" trail

Well ok.....I'll take your word on that one.....I do know that weird stuff happens in the woods. I have had a few strange things happen myself. I have had an armadillo walk over my foot and a red fox (I have had many very close encounters with them) run right over my legs (my dads dogs followed me into the woods and chased him) while deer hunting in Ar. Anyone who has been hunting long enough (and can sit reasonably still) has had a squirrel either get on you or get close enough you had to move to spook him before he did.

Maybe this could be a new string..... "hunting tales" LOL

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did you kill it with a gun or with your car?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Used a .243 Winchester at around 40 yards (not a good brush gun, but I'm more accurate with it than my 35 Marlin). I got the .243 from my grandfather, but that's a whole story to itself...

Pete "yeah, I've gotten deer with my front bumper as well..." Hanlin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use a Winchester at .44 mag....the hell with the trees !!!!!!!!!!

When I sold guns back in Maryland, I would work gun shows in Virginia..where you can hunt with a Howitzer if you want to....actually had guys wanting to buy AK's and Tec 9's for deer hunting.......

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

EyeManFla,

Texas is much the same way. From time to time I like to do a little bird hunting with my Dads 12 gauge, Bullpup, Riot shotgun for no particular reason. :-) Side arm Colt 45 Gold Cup. Rifle choices Winchester 30-30 or a 308. If I'm in a particularly jaunty mood the old double barrel 10 gauge with 3in. magnums works well :-)

"Nothing like going out into the countryside and slaughtering a few of God's creatures."

Take care,

Darris C.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

So Pete,
    I envision you driving down 1-81 to 1-95 with this animal strapped to your car blowing your horn and flashing your lights like the blue aisle special with Penn State Alumni stickers and a sign on the back saying "I just visited God's Country and look at my rewards".

Just kidding! At least it wasn't a pregnant chad with a rack. Congratulations!
    Bev

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

If I could have just gotten those dang antlers to stick to the hood of the truck...

Actually, the Penna Game Commission has requested that successful hunters (like me ;) ) not tote their quarry on the top of their vehicles (so as not to offend sensitive motorists). I dutifully blanketed Mr. Buck on his trip to the farmer...

Pete

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Originally posted by Jeff Trail:
    so he puts his rifle in the antlers and gets ready to have his picture taken.. the deer jumps up and runs off WITH his rifle still in it's antlers!!!
    I've always thought hunting would be a lot more sporting - not to mention, fair - were the prey packing heat as well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by shanbaum:
    I've always thought hunting would be a lot more sporting - not to mention, fair - were the prey packing heat as well.
    I guess you never lived in DC........

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Darris Chambless:
    If I'm in a particularly jaunty mood the old double barrel 10 gauge with 3in. magnums works well :-)

"Nothing like going out into the countryside and slaughtering a few of God's creatures."

Darris C. [/I]

Well, there was the time I went rabbit hunting in South Jersey with my Mossburg 836 Turkey gun and the only shells I had in my bag were 3-1/2 12 gauge mags............
    I didn't really have to aim all that much.....
    Just had to make sure I didn't hit the damn dogs!

[This message has been edited by EyeManFla (edited 12-06-2000).]

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Confused

Originally posted by EyeManFla:
    I guess you never lived in DC........
    I did, once. I was the prey.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

Reminds me of the time upstate n.y. when i shot a 3 pointer. We were attempting to put it on the car when the deer slipped, fell off and broke off the antler with the two points. I had to come all the way back to L.I. with a one point buck. In regards to the mule story, have seen that a number of times , but it has been cows. Personally prefer my pre 1964 winchester model 70 ,270 caliber, with the 12 power Unertl scope, that i dont even think you can buy anymore.Pete, Penn. is great hunting for sure, use to hunt atop mt. pocono, had a cabin in east tobyhana, outside of stroudsburg.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I heard that there will be another season added in Pennsylvania thisyear.

Seems ther are a few little lions upstate that need to be put out of their misery....

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

PA game commission says there are getting to be too many deer here. Road kill is up and hunting pressure is down.

The extra seasons here were developed to equalize the buck to doe ratio which they also anticipate will result in more trophy sized deer.

It never did make sense to me why buck season ran for two consecutive weeks and doe season was only a mere 3 days while there were only 1 buck to every 8 or 10 doe in a herd. After "planting his seed" a buck is almost certain to get shot. Unless an area wasn't hunted very hard, a buck rarely made it past two years.

The PA game commission believes that the season changes will result in greater forage for the remaining deer which they anticipate will also result in more trophy sized deer.

Buy the various licenses in PA and you can hunt deer from early Oct into mid Jan. My favorite is the late season primitave muzzleloader season where I can dress up like Daniel Boone, strap on some snowshoes and make meat the same way they did 200 years ago.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

You are absolutely correct- they are desperately trying to thin out the deer populations in Pennsy. When I was in Gettysburg (which has a history of trouble with deer), I counted over 150 deer in one field one afternoon!

The buck I shot was approximately 18 months old, according to the Game Commission agent. The present commissioner wants to encourage the taking of doe (which isn't all that popular with some hunters) in order to produce bigger buck (which would be really popular with hunters). I think one of the most innovative ways he's thought up is allowing jr. hunters to take a buck or a doe during the first weekend (just make sure the youngster actually sees the deer before pulling that trigger!

Muzzleloading is a favorite of mine as well. Three or four years ago, we had about a foot of snow during black powder season... felt really good. I just don't think Daniel Boone and friends made a habit of wearing blaze orange!

Pete

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not that I'm against hunting or anything, I just don't do it. I do, however, have a question. What is muzzleloading?

Diane

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Hello Lady Di,

Since I'm here I will explain "Muzzleloading." This title is reserved for black powder type rifles or pistols (and in some cases cannons). These guns are loaded via the muzzle (or barrel) which is done in the following manner (we will use a rifle as the example):

1) The butt of the gun is placed on the ground with the barrel pointing upward.

2) The measured gunpowder is then poured into the barrel.

3) You then put a patch and a ball (or round lead slug) into the opening of the barrel.

4) Cut off the excess patch material.

5) Remove the ram or ramrod (usually mounted on the gun itself) and drive (or ram) the patch and ball to the bottom of the barrel.

Your muzzleloader is now loaded ;-)

There are two different types of igniting devices one is a "flint" the other a "cap." Flintlocks are harder to maintain since you have to rely on a powder charge at the hammer (which can get dumped off or blown out) and the striking medium (i.e. flint) to consistently spark in order to ignite the powder charge.

The other igniter is called a "cap" (sometimes you will hear it referred to as a "cap and ball" type of firing device. In these designs a small powder charged cap is place atop an inlet into the barrel and is ignited upon contact from the hammer. This type is more reliable and easier to maintain.

I hope this helps. I use to have two black power derringers. Not very accurate but a lot of fun to shoot :-)

Take care,

Darris C.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Muzzleloading (or black powder, the phrases are interchangeable) hunting is a "blast" (pun intended) because you're never sure if/when the gun will discharge.

In Pennsylvania, we are required to use a flintlock rifle. Basically, as Darris described, you load the powder, patch, and ball. Then you pour some really fine gunpowder into a small depression into the lock- called the "pan" (the lock is like a box that is mounted to the side of the barrel). When you fire, a small piece of flint that is clamped into the hammer swings down and hits the frizzen (the little piece of metal that is set on a hinge and covers the pan). The resulting spark "hopefully" ignites the powder in the pan. That ignition then hopefully makes it through a little hole that opens into the barrel of the gun (where the main powder charge has been packed behind the ball).

The result of all of this is about a half second delay between when you pull the trigger and when the rifle discharges (unless the flint gets wet, the powder in the pan blows away, or the tiny hole gets clogged). You usually hear a "click, phwwwt, BANG." Then, you get a big cloud of smoke that gradually clears (only then do you see if you hit your mark). Needless to say, a deer is usually not gracious enough to wait around while you reload, so you only get one shot. I've already sat in the cold for hours, finally seen a deer, waited while it works its way close enough (usually within 50 yards), aimed, and heard "click, phwwwwwwt....). Then you get to watch the white tail of the deer bob up and down as it scampers off as you pour more primer powder into the pan!

Add also that you can only use open sights (no scopes) and the guns are heavy and bulky, and it makes for a very challenging hunting experience! If you've seen Civil War or Revolutionary War movies, you've seen black powder rifles.

Pete "lock, stock, and barrel" Hanlin

Thread Information