Thread: VirtualOptician: Project for student/hobbyist with PC or Mac

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

VirtualOptician: Project for student/hobbyist with PC or Mac

Here's an idea that I think could be the basis of an interesting project for someone who is studying to go into one of the 3 O's (and perhaps, needs a project to complete for a course requirement), or possibly someone already in the profession who would like to elevate their computer skills.

I call it "VirtualOptician."

It would be an application of some basic Artifical Intelligence technology to create software that would input the known facts about a patient, and then compute a specific lens (or frame and lens) selection.

I don't see that there is enough "juice" in it to provide the basis of a commercial enterprise or salable product. And my computer (an old Mac) is so far out of date that I don't see that I have the facility to experiment with this on my own. I think that you would need a Mac that can run MacOS X or a Windows 95/98/NT/XP computer to start a project like this.

I think that some of the expertise of a dispensing optician could be readily converted into software using the techniques of rule-based programming.

VirtualOptician would be the kind of computer program that is often referred to as an expert system.
    Rule-based programming is one of the most commonly used techniques for developing expert systems. In this programming paradigm, rules are used to represent heuristics, or "rules of thumb," which specify a set of actions to be performed for a given situation. A rule is composed of an if portion and a then portion. The if portion of a rule is a series of patterns which specify the facts (or data) which cause the rule to be applicable. The process of matching facts to patterns is called pattern matching. The expert system tool provides a mechanism, called the inference engine, which automatically matches facts against patterns and determines which rules are applicable. The if portion of a rule can actually be thought of as the whenever portion of a rule since pattern matching always occurs whenever changes are made to facts. The then portion of a rule is the set of actions to be executed when the rule is applicable. The actions of applicable rules are executed when the inference engine is instructed to begin execution. The inference engine selects a rule and then the actions of the selected rule are executed (which may affect the list of applicable rules by adding or removing facts). The inference engine then selects another rule and executes its actions. This process continues until no applicable rules remain.
    http://www.ghg.net/clips/WhatIsCLIPS.html

A "microscopic" and just about self-explanatory example:

IF patient_diagnosis IS hyperope OR myope
    THEN
    SET candidate_lens_database TO single_vision

IF patient_diagnosis IS presbyope
    THEN
    SET candidate_lens_database TO multifocal

CLIPS is freeware (freely available software) that supports rule-based programming. If you've ever written a computer program in "C", you can already see how my oh-so-brief example (above) of two (hugely simplified) dispensing rules could be translated into C code. My theory is that with CLIPS (or another software development tool of similar kind), it would be gynormously easier to develop an example of VirtualOptician using a carefully thought-out set of dispensing rules.

VirtualOptician could process any/all of the data that a dispensing optician has to deal with; for example:

M.D./O.D. data: diagnoses and new refraction data
    Patient summary
    age, sex, occupation, hobbies and recreations
    relevant health issues
    Current eyeglasses data
    current Rx, lens type(s), lens material(s), coatings
    known problems
    sees internal stress pattern of lenses at all angles/distances when using poly
    Frame measurement requirements
    Frame preferences
    Lens and frame databases condensed from manufacturer's data
    Practice specific database
    Our preferred lens suppliers are ...

References

CLIPS Home Page: http://www.ghg.net/clips/CLIPS.html

CLIPS Related Web Locations: http://www.ghg.net/clips/OtherWeb.html
    A ton of information here, for anyone who would consider taking up the VirtualOptician project.

Gensym: example of a proprietary rule-based programming engine
    http://www.gensym.com/
    Last edited by rinselberg; 03-05-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why don't you bore a hole in yourself and let the sap run out of it??!!??

That is too funny!!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Riselberg: This type of competition is a thorn in our side already. And you want us to write software and create hardware to proliferate it? What do you smoke?

Occupation
    Maybe I should have called it "Optician's Assistant" ...
    Last edited by rinselberg; 02-02-2006 at 03:47 AM.

Bad address email on file amoura_0's Avatar
    i actually like the idea
    i think its great
    but we need software engineers to help us out..

did u know i thought of that a while ago??

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It sounds "Good As Gold".

Can you link it it to our opticals ? Just be sure to let us know how much we'll be allowed to charge. You'll have to really work overtime to out do the optical genius of Frames Direct !

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    It sounds "Good As Gold".

Can you link it it to our opticals ? Just be sure to let us know how much we'll be allowed to charge. You'll have to really work overtime to out do the optical genius of Frames Direct !
    I would market this idea to Lens Manufacturers. They would love to be able to make a program that spits out recommendations for thier lenses only! LoL!

Great idea, not very practical at all.... now if "Rosie" knew how to dispense eyewear we might have something!

Adam

Occupation
    I can see it as an aid to the opticians. It could give them a good starting point for lens and frame selection.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can see it as an aid to "fashion consultants", receptionists, and weekend help.

Risenlberg,

Of course I know that your intentions are nothing short of honorable. I'm just pulling your chain. We all love to think we can't be replaced, becaue it's so far from the truth.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    SOLA (now Carl Zeiss Vision) actually created a PDA-based dispensing tool like this several years ago. It's called the iPilot, and is in use in Europe, Australia, and a few other countries. I should add that, while it makes lens and treatment recommendations based on lifestyle, frame, and Rx data, its primary function is to configure a free-form progressive lens design.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister
    SOLA (now Carl Zeiss Vision) actually created a PDA-based dispensing tool like this several years ago. It's called the iPilot, and is in use in Europe, Australia, and a few other countries. I should add that, while it makes lens and treatment recommendations based on lifestyle, frame, and Rx data, its primary function is to configure a free-form progressive lens design.
    Ah hah! I knew it. Lens Manufacturers would love this thing. Optician inputs Rx, frame type, lifestyle questions.... computer thinks.... ding!..... SolaONE HD 1.67 Transitions V w/ ESP Gray and Teflon Easycare AR Coating!

:)

Adam

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    Lens Manufacturers would love this thing. Optician inputs Rx, frame type, lifestyle questions.... computer thinks.... ding!..... SolaONE HD 1.67 Transitions V w/ ESP Gray and Teflon Easycare AR Coating!
    Well, we tried to add Essilor products, but the computer kept crashing afterwards. ;)

In all seriousness though, any lens design and availability data can be stored in the PDA, though I imagine that it has been used primarily for AO and SOLA product. It uses a relatively sophisticated algorithm to recommend progressive lens designs based both on relevant optical measurements from each lens design and the wearer's prescription, lifestyle, frame, and previous lens type information.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    An interesting academic exercise that would more illustrate the problems associated with “AI” in the real world than provide a tool to assist the eye care dweeb in lens selection. All programming is *rule based” so there is nothing here to advance software engineering. The core issue would be the definition of the “rules” or algorithms and the quantification of those values.

Cripes! We can’t even agree on simple definition here on OptiBoard much less a common heuristic that all users could agree on and that would be valid in all cases.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs down

:hammer: :finger: :drop:

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Certainly, tools like this would be most useful to dispensers without a great deal of experience or expertise.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Certainly, tools like this would be most useful to dispensers without a great deal of experience or expertise.
    and so would a course teaching them how to do it properly

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO
    and so would a course teaching them how to do it properly
    Of course, if you've been following the various threads around here, not necessarily all opticians want to attend such a course. ;)
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Software Engineer NetPriva.com mirage2k2's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I'm a software engineer, but whether I would have the time or the energy to help out is something else.

What would be great is some software where you type in the rx and select a particular lense and the software generates an on screen image representing (roughly) the vision that the individual patient would have with that particular lense! Then you could scroll through lots of different lense designs, best form, aspheric, atoric, etc. from lots of different manufacturors and see what looks best!!! In addition, you could compare the off-axis vision of a 1.6 to a 1.74, or a low abbe 1.6 (33) to a higher abbe 1.6 (42). You could also see the effects of prescribed prism, i.e. the differing amounts of color seperation for differing amounts of prism. And what would be really useful is if you could compare the off-axis vision for a patient with high cyl rx through an aspheric and an atoric!!!

Now this I would be interested in! I expect similar software already exists in labs but would be too technical and non user friendly to run in the store.

This would also be very useful for helping customers like me that come in to your store whining about the vision in the thier new 1.74's.:D :D :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorta off topic, but not much & for what it is worth, the Registered Opticians Association of Texas (ROATx) created a 'virtual phoropter' a few years ago... http://www.roatx.org/
    Shwing

Occupation

Virtual Phoropter training CD

Quote Originally Posted by Shwing
    Sorta off topic, but not much & for what it is worth, the Registered Opticians Association of Texas (ROATx) created a 'virtual phoropter' a few years ago... http://www.roatx.org/
    And here's where to find it online:

Natonal Academy of Opticianry
    For questions concerning the Virtual Phoroptor, or to request a demo CD, contact Sam Johnson with the Registered Opticians Association of Texas (ROATx) at 512/657-2020. Contact the NAO to order the Virtual Phoroptor. $299 for NOA members, $350 all others.
    http://www.nao.org/catalog/iteminfo....d=271&compid=1

ROATx
    The "Virtual Phoroptor" interactive refraction/ophthalmic optics training CD is now selling for $350.00; as a member of ROATx or an OAA member, you can save $70 ... This is a great practice, skill development and training tool in the Art and Science of Ophthalmic Optics. Call or email ROATx to order.
    http://www.roatx.org/ (under "Activities")
    Last edited by rinselberg; 02-01-2006 at 04:44 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Retirement project...................

Maybe this could be an interesting project to keep me busy after retirement.

Occupation
    Actually, I don't think it would be a bad idea for those really "crazy" jobs you get every once in a while (-15.00 / 72 pd type of thing) those fitting challenges that can drive you nuts trying to visual what the end result will be ... :hammer:

Occupation

Putting a wrap on it

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    An interesting academic exercise that would more illustrate the problems associated with AI [artificial intelligence] in the real world than provide a tool to assist the eye care dweeb in lens selection. ALL programming is "rule-based", so there is nothing here to advance software engineering. The core issue would be the definition of the “rules” or algorithms and the quantification of those values. Cripes! We can’t even agree on a simple definition here on OptiBoard - much less a common heuristic that all users could agree on and that would be valid in all cases.
    THAT, rbaker, (and your points are very well taken) is the reason why I think this would be an excellent course project for a student going into one of the 3 O's - provided that they are at the level in their curriculum where this kind of research would be appropriate for them to take up.

Another one of my points (and again, with my out of date Mac, I can only suggest it, without being able to confirm any of it myself) is that with CLIPS (or another rule-based programming tool), it should be much easier to undertake this project, than it would be using the more commonly known approach of straightforward "C" language programming. With CLIPS (etc.), the uniquely optical part of the project could be isolated from all of the other general software problems that attend the development of any sizable computer program. Running the program with realistic input data and examining the output (lens or lens and frame selections) would be a way of confirming the validity of the optical expertise, as expressed in the "rules" database.

The project could also be taken up by an undergraduate level IT or computer engineering student. In that case, the focus would shift to the software side of the equation; for example, which of the various rule-based programming tools is actually the best one to use for this purpose? How many different kinds of information could be processed? Could they (for example) develop a practical way to process the same information that is used to create the OLA's yearly catalog of progressive lenses? And the optician's exact knowledge would move to the background: It would serve only as a realistic test case for proving the software technologies.

As I said at the very top (of the thread), I put this forward as an idea for a student project. I've seen them come up on this forum from time to time, looking for a project. WRT whether more of the optician's job should be automated ("streamlined" might be a better word), or whether this could be used to facilitate more of those online optical shops: I am not trying to forward any of those particular ideas.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 02-05-2006 at 08:19 AM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    So, you combine this with a robotic fitting tool, and voila no more dispensing opticians?

Oh wait a minute, I guess it would likely be cheaper to hire a DO, than to buy such a system.

;)

-Keith

Thread Information