Thread: To Chris Ryser and others who feel the same way

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Exclamation To Chris Ryser and others who feel the same way---thank you for explaining things:)

Chris, is it necessary to be so mean? I have every right to ask questions and I don't feel it was out of order to ask how long to expect a good AR to last on a pair of eyeglasses. Nor does it seem wrong to ask someone's opinion about a particular brand/model of frames. And, I just wanted to know if the Ellipse could be paired with a high-index 1.60 lens.

May I ask what is wrong with those inquiries? If I can't ask YOU...then WHO? When I am not able to talk to my optician then why NOT take advantage of this wonderful forum? As a "professional" you should be honored and happy to share your wealth of information. And, if, for some reason you don't have an opinion about something I ask, just skip it and let someone else answer. Do you really need to go out of your way to point out my "numerous questions"? Are you such a snob that lay people like myself are nothing more than a bother with their "silly inquiries"? :finger:

I apologized for "reminding" all of you of others who apparently got carried away with their questions. My intentions were not to come here and bring back "bad memories". And, I certainly didn't make a point of reading through all the archives as a requisite before posting my own questions.

In the meantime, if I have a question about something I am not going to let myself feel beneath you or any other optician or OD here. I imagine there are forums set up specifically for professionals such as yourself where you can discuss the latest and greatest without the interference of the likes of ME. But, since this one is open for questions from everyone, I'm going to utilize it if I feel it will help me with my journey to the "perfect pair of glasses" for my middle-aged eyes. Whether I get any response is another thing, but I'm not going to feel intimidated by you or anyone else who feels the need to dis me.

Just remember that even though you might be a professional in your field, it doesn't give you the right to pretend that you are a better human being than folks like myself. When I worked as a nurse for several years I came across people with seemingly endless questions. Sure, it could be taxing and redundant. But, at the same time, it was my job and privilege to try and help them understand what they were asking. And, yes, I bit my tongue at times. But in the end, I feel I was a better person for keeping my thoughts to myself.

Thank you for listening.

Chris Ryser vbmenu_register("postmenu_129258", true);
    Master OptiBoarder

Too many questions......................
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GoodAsGold
    Just to let you know, though...I am a totally separate person than these people you named. They have their own agendas. Me, I'm just someone who tends to get obsessed at times...but, this is a good wake-up call! I'll definitely try to keep my questions to a minimum from now on.

You just started another 3 threads today........................you call this minimum?
    Last edited by GoodAsGold; 01-31-2006 at 01:59 AM.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris has his own opinions about progressives and ARs that many other opticians don't share. This business is not cut and dry, people will disagree. I think there is room for anyone. Will I often don't agree with Chris, he is intitled to his opinion.

I welcome questions in most cases. I like to help people whether in cyper space or in my shop. I admit that Sandy/Amanda got kind of nasty towards the end and I thought that was uncalled for.

I appreciate that you have not done that.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Believe me Chris is a good guy. Sometimes its hard to tell a persons tone when reading a post but I have spoken with him many times and its just his nature to speak what is on his mind. He is one of our characters that make optiboard unique.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ever watch "American Idol"? Sitting on Simon Crowell's left would be Chris Ryser. He once stood in for Andy Rooney on "60 Minutes" and no one could tell the difference.

We love Chris the way he is.

Occupation

Thumbs up

Hi Happylady,

Nope, I promise not to get nasty. :p And, while I can certainly appreciate Chris' personality and temperament, I would also want him to understand mine. Both of us are entitled to our opinions. And in this case, I'm entitled to my questions. Hey, I like feisty people! I can be one myself! Just ask my family. :)

Anyway, even though I have a lot of inquiries, I can assure you that my IQ is not low. I simply enjoy learning about products that I intend to purchase. I've been that way ever since I can remember first digging out my wallet as a consumer. You should have seen me when I was trying out mattresses for the first time 25+ years ago! I think I knew every spring count and foam density there was! And, now that we have the internet, I'm having even more fun being a conscientous consumer! Too bad I didn't enjoy homework this much back when I was in school!

Hey, Chris----how 'bout we start over? If I seem like a record playing the same ol' song, will ya do me a favor and IM me privately first? Appreciate it!

Lindsay
    :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    Chris has his own opinions about progressives and ARs that many other opticians don't share. This business is not cut and dry, people will disagree. I think there is room for anyone. Will I often don't agree with Chris, he is intitled to his opinion.

I welcome questions in most cases. I like to help people whether in cyper space or in my shop. I admit that Sandy/Amanda got kind of nasty towards the end and I thought that was uncalled for.

I appreciate that you have not done that.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

is it necessary to be so mean? .................

Quote Originally Posted by GoodAsGold
    Chris, is it necessary to be so mean?

May I ask what is wrong with those inquiries? If I can't ask YOU...then WHO?
    ...........In the meantime, if I have a question about something I am not going to let myself feel beneath you or any other optician or OD here.
    .............. Whether I get any response is another thing, but I'm not going to feel intimidated by you or anyone else who feels the need to dis me.
    I love to answer questions.......providing I have the time to do it. But, when I see always the same name starting another thread within a few days I get suspicious that that somebody is pulling our leg on the optiboard.

Many optiboarders do not get that gut feeling and go on explaining and explaining without getting suspicious of the questions.

Last year somebody was asking questions for many month and was always politely answered by the members including myself. At one point I decided to check out the person and found out that the so called 45 year old person looking for progressives had the exactly same credentials. geographic area and hobbies (age 26) registered in an internet dating club with picture and the rest.

At that point I had the facts that we, here on the optiboard once in a while are being taken on a wild ride....................here is an e-mail I received here (probably by error) on the optiboard e-mail:

"Hey there Cinders831--was that threat from Sandy-she is warning you!!!!

Wanna have a little fun playing around with her?
    Help me find a website for the most expensive rimless frame that there is. I'll post a new thread about what an awesome frame it is, and we'll come up with a name for a "new" progressive that no one has heard of, and I'll post about how amazing the lenses are...we'll have her out there in stores asking for a new lens that no one has ever heard of?
    Sound like fun to you guys? Cindy"

To go on a little further:

Sandy ...................posted 15 threads over a few days
    CNet Baby ..............posted 16 threads over a few days
    Good as Gold...........posted 14 threads over a few days

So, I think that if somebody wants to know about a pair of glasses and ask about it on the forum they are always answered in a nice way by all of us..............but a question can be boiled down to the lenses and frame in one thread and just get it going until the questions are all answered in a normal way.

I just have the feeling, and believe I am right, that anybody from the general public should not abuse the good will to help and advise of the optiboard members.

To sum it up, dear "Good as Gold", if you are genuine, please accept my apology and keep your questions in one thread...............and if you are not you deserve my full fury.

:D
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 01-30-2006 at 03:45 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do believe that anyone should be able to come here and ask questions, Iwould suggest however that if they do have a question, that they first look back over the past questions and answers to see if what they're searching for is there. That would alleviate the same questions being answered over and over.

Occupation
    Hi Chris,

I can assure you that I'm not pulling anyone's leg. Granted, I got carried away with my exuberance in my posting...but I definitely am genuine!

I'll try to keep it to a minimum and will check the previous threads for answers to my questions in the future. I can see where that would make sense so as not to clutter up the forum with redundant inquiries.

Thanks for the wake-up call!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    I love to answer questions.......providing I have the time to do it. But, when I see always the same name starting another thread within a few days I get suspicious that that somebody is pulling our leg on the optiboard.....
    .......To sum it up, dear "Good as Gold", if you are genuine, please accept my apology and keep your questions in one thread...............and if you are not you deserve my full fury.

:D

Occupation
    I decided to do just that last night and I see what you mean about that person named Sandy/Amanda. I surely don't want to be lumped in with anyone who is considered to be a pain in the you-know-where.

Anyway, I also read a thread about too many lay people asking to compare all the different lenses and how do you, as professionals give objective answers. I now wish I had seen this before asking all my questions! Oh, well. Now I know to check the previous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    I do believe that anyone should be able to come here and ask questions, Iwould suggest however that if they do have a question, that they first look back over the past questions and answers to see if what they're searching for is there. That would alleviate the same questions being answered over and over.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Wow! somebody gave me a bad reputation point about saying that I like Chris.
    Well nah nah nah boo boo I THINK CHRIS IS COOL!!!:)

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN
    Wow! somebody gave me a bad reputation point about saying that I like Chris.
    Well nah nah nah boo boo I THINK CHRIS IS COOL!!!:)
    Shameful. Chris is a good guy. I may not always agree with him, but if I did then what would be the point of a forum?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Shameful. Chris is a good guy. I may not always agree with him, but if I did then what would be the point of a forum?
    Wow..............I might even make the Optiboard Hall of Fame.............or.............Shame

Thread Information