Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: "3 out of 4 of our opticians don't recommend AR coatings"

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Not everybody can afford...................

Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Everyone in the office wears it. In fact everyone in the office wears great glasses even if they don't have an Rx. Selling AR is easy if you wear it.

That is a great idea and probably helps sales.

However the people who can't afford the the great AT treatment...................are they pushed into buying it anyhow or do you have some tolerance with them?

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris, if someone really doesn't want or can't afford AR, I don't push them into it. I explain the benefits and that (even as a hyperope) I think it's a worthwhile investment. But if the budget doesn't allow it, that's ok.

I really think that any of us who push patients into options they don't want or can't really afford are being very short-sighted, trading immediate profit for the long-term patient relationship, which will likely go down the tubes. I want the patients to be happy and come back.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris, I can't speak for others, but I don't shove AR down anyone's throat. Do I mention it's benifits to everyone? Yes. Many, in fact most patients here want lighter weight, thinner lenses. I also believe these materials benifit optically with AR's. But if a patient wants a -6 in plain Jane CR in a 58 eye, even though I don't recommend it, I'll be happy to supply that too.

Patients must be pleased with the product also. I seldom see a patient that's had a good AR not want it again and again. It's not up to me to determine how much a patient wants to invest in their eyewear needs. But it would be irresponsible of me not to educate all my patients of their options.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I do not think any of us are shoving AR down peoples throats. Are we are saying is recommending the product and a good quality one.

If you do not let the customer know if it, then you are really doing them a disservice. Let them choose for themselves.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I don't know. I had one pair of glasses made in a rush without AR. I did not think there would be a problem, and it drove me crazy.
    I'm with you all the way here. I hate lens reflections -- seeing my face in my own lenses, or the desk lamp - I freakin' hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post

As for dirt on the lenses, use Alize, Super Hi, Carat Advantage. I find that AR scratches less (if you use a quality AR) versus non-AR lenses. Residual colour? Much better than the horrible white, coke bottle glare. Again, some of the cheap AR's have ugly residual colour. You are correct about cost and turn around time.

I do want to point out something extremely important here. This is not directed to Harry (because I do not know what you sell), but everyone. When we cheap out on AR coatings and use a less expensive brand, this is where we get the complaints about residual colour (tree green), ease of clean, and scratches. Charge the slight difference more and really give your patients quality.

More proof that not all ARs are the same.
    You have said a lot of truth her, For-Life. Good A/R coats don't show "grease" marks like the old ones. They don't water spot and they have much less static attraction than standard hard coated lenses. Consequently they stay cleaner and are easier to clean.

The internal reflection factor dramatically increases when you increase lens material density. (Read MoJalie's stuff). As you said I'm not aiming this at anyone, but prescribing indecies above 1.56 without top grade AR might even be a flagrant violation. Certainly an overstatement, but point made.

Our main commercial lab, in the rural farm country of Northwest, has gone to 20 layer A/R, in house. It's cotton-pickin' amazing. Takes an extra 16 hours, and they deliver by courier. We seldom replace because of a failed A/R. Maybe a split Silhouette mounting, but not a failed A/R.

My advise is don't sell A/R if current info doesn't say it is top of the line. On hi-indecies, don't make it an option, and don't use less than a 2x multiplier. If that's shoving, then I shovel. Spending bookoos on 1.70 PA's without A/R is nonsense. If they want it that way we deliver, but I still tell them -- it's Crazy!

(Well if my advice is any good. My wife says it's worth about what she pays for it.Go figure.)

Respectfully,
    dbracer.
    Last edited by dbracer; 09-28-2007 at 04:05 PM.
    "Do not waste time bothering whether you 'love' your neighbor; act as if you do." C.S. Lewis

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Only one anti fog.........................

Quote Originally Posted by dbracer View Post

You have said a lot of truth her, For-Life. Good A/R coats don't show "grease" marks like the old ones. They don't water spot and they have much less static attraction than standard hard coated lenses. Consequently they stay cleaner and are easier to clean.

(Well if my advice is any good. My wife says it's worth about what she pays for it.Go figure.)
    That is the secret of people liking the new AR lense, The slick top coat where you can wipe off smudges and dirt. Anistatic action to repel dust. But there is still only one topcoat that is also anti fog.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    That is the secret of people liking the new AR lense, The slick top coat where you can wipe off smudges and dirt. Anistatic action to repel dust. But there is still only one topcoat that is also anti fog.
    Chris,

Get no argument from me there. There has to be a last coat.

Respectfully,
    dbracer
    Last edited by dbracer; 10-01-2007 at 07:48 PM.
    "Do not waste time bothering whether you 'love' your neighbor; act as if you do." C.S. Lewis

Thread Information