Thread: Do I need glasses??

OptiBoard Novice

Do I need glasses??

I'm assuming from my Rx that my eyes are not all that bad but I would like other opinions as to whether glasses will make a difference or be worth the expense.

The main reason I went to get the exam was that reading started to bother me some. I can see everything ok, but it seems like I need to work to keep focus and long exposure to reading gets a little tiring.

I also work in front of a pc monitor all day.

I'm in my mid thirties and this is my first eye exam, so of course I thought of most of my question after I left the eye doctor. Are these mild adjustments for the astygmatism?

This is my Rx.

Right eye
    Sphere -0.50
    Cylinder +0.25
    Axis 016

Left eye
    Sphere -0.25
    Cylinder +0.75
    Axis 166

Thanks for any help in advance!!

Todd

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Do you need glasses? Depends on the definition of need. Do you need them to drive? Depends on your visual acuity.

You went to get your eyes examined due to long term strain. This may help you out. There is a prescription there, so it will not hurt you to get them (other than financially).

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your prescription is minimal, but sometimes a minimal prescription can help make eyes more comfortable. What did the doctor say about it?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I wear about the same for a distance correction and it does help

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you think that you saw better with the new rx? Did your visual acuity increase and therefore make things clearer for you? If you answered yes to these questions, then I would say go for it. If it makes your vision clearer, why not?

OptiBoard Novice
    How do I know if the Rx will make my vision clearer w/o getting glasses? All I did was read letters through some gizmo and answer some questions such as which one is better. Noone explained what my answers meant. All I know is that the doctor recommended eyeglasses.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would call the doctor and ask them if you can come in so that they can put a couple of trial lenses(with the new script) in front of you and see if you see a difference with and without. I'm surprised they didn't do similar testing when you were in there. It's worth a shot.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ask the Dr that prescribed for you. sometimes just because we can measure something does not mean it is suseful for the patient, sometimes it is. He will be able to reference the script to the rest of the data on your record, and give you a straight answer

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by tsduke03
    How do I know if the Rx will make my vision clearer w/o getting glasses? All I did was read letters through some gizmo and answer some questions such as which one is better. Noone explained what my answers meant. All I know is that the doctor recommended eyeglasses.
    During the eye exam when lenses were put in front of you the doctor and yourself came up with the best vision and that is what is written on the prescription.

OptiBoard Novice
    A tech entered into a small keypad as I read letters and chose which set looked better. I didn't realized until later that this was what set my Rx as I received no feedback from her. Towards the end of the visit the doctor himself examined my eyes some sort of bright light instrument and metioned that I have some astygmatism(I assume the doctor is the one that measured for the astygmatism.) and that I'm somewhat nearsighted. Then he recommended glasses.

This doctor is supposed to be one the the best in my area, but he is also super busy. It looks like I may have been rushed through.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Let's see, poster, that's 4 anonymous people on the net FOR you needing glasses, and 2 anonymous people on the net AGAINST you needing glasses.

You must need glasses, 4-2.

P.S. Next problem you have, please don't waste any time and bring us your symptoms, and we'll all split that exam fee you paid. It doesn't sound like it did you much good giving it to that buffoon of a Dr.!

Seriously, though, YOU ARE THE PERSON BEING SERVED, AND THAT DR. IS YOUR SERVANT. If he can't tell you whether you need glasses to your satisfaction, you need to get your money back.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dr. K,

Refund an exam fee? :) Good one.

How do I know if the Rx will make my vision clearer w/o getting glasses?
    Todd,

The doctor can show you the difference between the vision with and without correction. Most people will see very little improvement in their visual acuity with this Rx. However, poor visual acuity is not the primary reason that you stated for seeing an eye doctor in the first place...
    The main reason I went to get the exam was that reading started to bother me some. I can see everything ok, but it seems like I need to work to keep focus and long exposure to reading gets a little tiring.
    It's possible that these symptoms might be lessened or eliminated with the use of corrective lenses. Only way to know for sure is to try them and see for yourself. If you are concerned about buying glasses that end up being an expensive paperweight, ask the optician to put together an extremely inexpensive pair using standard un-coated lenses in a cheap frame. You can upgrade to better quality ( AR coatings and lightweight materials) at a later time, keeping the original as a spare.

Hope this helps
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    I'm assuming from my Rx that my eyes are not all that bad but I would like other opinions as to whether glasses will make a difference or be worth the expense.

I also work in front of a pc monitor all day.

I'm in my mid thirties and this is my first eye exam, so of course I thought of most of my question after I left the eye doctor. Are these mild adjustments for the astygmatism?

This is my Rx

Right eye
    Sphere -0.50
    Cylinder +0.25
    Axis 016

Left eye
    Sphere -0.25
    Cylinder +0.75
    Axis 166

Thanks for any help in advance!!

Todd

well, todd, if you transpose your rx, you're myopic in your OD and hyperopic in your OS.
    if you are left eye dominant, then the glasses can help relax your self accomodation for distance.
    your OD is taking care of your reading.
    you have however some astigmatism OS>OD which is probably causing a very little distortion at both Dist and Near.

wear these specs while driving at night or during stressful days, as well as prolonged times on the computer.

wearing your specs or not is not going to affect you vision one way or another. they're like a walking cane that helps you walk better. they just help you see better and relax your eyes.

however, the axis prescribed is not typical for a young 30's.
    most youngsters have their axis close or around axis 90 in plus cylinder.

gil
    "blessed to give; grateful to receive"

Thread Information