Thread: Does this hypothetical eyeglasses "order" look like a good "fit" for me and my Rx?

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question Does this hypothetical eyeglasses "order" look like a good "fit" for me and my Rx?

Just for kicks I entered my Rx and PD into this online place called FramesDirect.com NO, I am NOT going to purchase my progressives from them! :finger: NEVER! I want hands-on service, thank you.

But, I just wanted to see what they recommended for me. Here's what they came up with based on my Rx and PD:

Sphere Cylinder Axis
    R -475 -175 11 ADD +3.25
    L -475 -150 176

Monocural PD
    R 28.5 L 28.0

They recommended:

Varilux Panamic

Hi Index 1.67

I would choose the Crizal Alize AR (they said it was more costly but
    but works extremely well on progressive and 1.67 hi-index lenses .)

The frames I "chose" were http://www.framesdirect.com/framesfp...-ldlbnb/r.html I checked 49/19/135. By the way, what's the difference between 47 and 49 and what does it indicate? My current 7 year old progressives are 49/19/135. But, the lenses are a definitely larger than the ones that would fit in the AV 6011.

So, given my Rx, would you say this place has "chosen" what looks good for me? When I go to be fitted for glasses from an optician should I show him this recommendation and see if he or she agrees?

Thanks!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Varilux Panamic 1.67 with Crizal Alize would be a very good choice. You might want to ask about the new Alize with clear guard, it is supposed to be the easiest to clean lens ever. There is also a new Varilux Phyiso that is supposed to be better then Panamic.

Frames are measured in millimeters. The 47 refers to the distance across the lens in millimeters. So the 49 is 2 mms wider on each lens.

Occupation
    After I posted I read a bit more about Varilux (the brand I've worn for 10 years) and I noticed that Ellipse has been popular for short corridor progressives. I just Googled Physio and the minimum measurement is 17 mm. So, would that be considered a short corridor lens? I wonder if the frames I like will fit with Physio. Some food for thought, though! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    Varilux Panamic 1.67 with Crizal Alize would be a very good choice. You might want to ask about the new Alize with clear guard, it is supposed to be the easiest to clean lens ever. There is also a new Varilux Phyiso that is supposed to be better then Panamic.

Frames are measured in millimeters. The 47 refers to the distance across the lens in millimeters. So the 49 is 2 mms wider on each lens.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    may i ask your profession?

Occupation
    I've been a stay-at-home mom for the past several years. Previously worked as a nurse. I spend a lot of time at the computer, but can always use my old glasses if the new ones present a problem with less intermediate. I'm not anticipating that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    may i ask your profession?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodAsGold
    After I posted I read a bit more about Varilux (the brand I've worn for 10 years) and I noticed that Ellipse has been popular for short corridor progressives. I just Googled Physio and the minimum measurement is 17 mm. So, would that be considered a short corridor lens? I wonder if the frames I like will fit with Physio. Some food for thought, though! Thanks.
    I would consider 17 mm a short corridor lens. I am excited about the Physio. I ordered a pair of Physio 360 for my husband yesterday. He wears progressives but hates glases. The side blurriness bugs him. I am hoping these will be a lot better. I will post his experience when he gets them.

Occupation
    Thanks! That would be a big help. I know it's so new that some of the opticians I've spoken to haven't had anyone with actual experience in them yet.

I would consider 17 mm a short corridor lens. I am excited about the Physio. I ordered a pair of Physio 360 for my husband yesterday. He wears progressives but hates glases. The side blurriness bugs him. I am hoping these will be a lot better. I will post his experience when he gets them.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I too am excited about this lens. Kind of off topic, but are you going to the product launch boradcast on the 31st??

Occupation
    Optometrist
    This thread cracks me up.

I really think that the website you posted on is really, really, interested in your best interests, lady.

This website and it's fantastic computer-suggester-frame-and-lens-picker is a miracle of modern science, with a heart of gold as well! (No pun intended.)

I would trust everything that its says to you, and I shudder to think what will happen to "dinosaur professionals" that can't assimilate such vast amounts of knowledge as the computer-picker, and are just out to make a sale...:drop:

Occupation

To drk

I take it that you read where my intentions are NOT to purchase a pair of glasse from this company? I only mentioned it because, as I said, I put in my Rx to generate a hypothetical "fit" for me according to them. I will say, though, that I would have probably chosen the same brands as they did, ie; Varilux Panamic or Ellipse, Crizal Alize, etc. BUT, the difference is that I intend to do that with a LOCAL trained and certified optician. Again, I was only posting my hypothetical "order" for opinions here. You did understand that, right? :hammer:

Quote Originally Posted by drk
    This thread cracks me up.

I really think that the website you posted on is really, really, interested in your best interests, lady.

This website and it's fantastic computer-suggester-frame-and-lens-picker is a miracle of modern science, with a heart of gold as well! (No pun intended.)

I would trust everything that its says to you, and I shudder to think what will happen to "dinosaur professionals" that can't assimilate such vast amounts of knowledge as the computer-picker, and are just out to make a sale...:drop:

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rj_gonzales
    I too am excited about this lens. Kind of off topic, but are you going to the product launch boradcast on the 31st??
    I haven't heard about it, please tell me.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just read on another post that you wear Comfort now. Varilux does not recommend switching HAPPY Comfort wearers to Panamic. I know you were trying to decide between the Comfort or Panamic. If you have been wearing Comfort with no problems I see no reason to switch to Panamic.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I haven't heard about it, please tell me.
    This is from a fax I received from Brad Charron.....

Varilux intorduces Physio, the revolutionary Next Generation of Varilux. To celebrate this special event, we are planning an exclusive live satelite boradcast launch in 20 cities across the United States. This new Technology is so exciting , that we are bringing ir directly to our guests so they can be the first to see it.

The live satelite broadcast, scheduled for Tuesday, January 31, 2006 @ The Hard Rock Cafe, begins at 7:30p.m. (EST) and includes food and beverages, live satelite presentation, videos and more.

From what I understand, Dallas and Houston are the only 2 cities in Texas that will have the broadcast. There is a phone number to RSVP. Pm me or shoot me an email if you are interested.

Occupation
    You know, thinking about it now, I am really not absolutely positive it's the Comfort I'm wearing. It just seems that I remember hearing that word back when I got these Varilux lenses back in '99. This is my 2nd pair of Varilux progressives since first becoming a presbyobe around 10-11 years ago. It would seem that Comfort would have been the one used since my frame is definitely large enough to accommodate them. Back then my OD said I couldn't go any smaller.

What concerns me now, though, is that I do want a smaller frame with a height of about 27-28 and I honestly am not sure that a regular progressive would work even though at least one optician thinks so. I'm still thinking that I might have to go with an Ellipse. And, I am not altogether sure what the difference is between all of them. I definitely want to go with what I am used to, but not if it means there's a another lens out there that can do a better job for me.

I just read on another post that you wear Comfort now. Varilux does not recommend switching HAPPY Comfort wearers to Panamic. I know you were trying to decide between the Comfort or Panamic. If you have been wearing Comfort with no problems I see no reason to switch to Panamic.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The optician should be able to look at the laser marks on the lenses and tell.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    sandy.. amanda... Hmmm

Occupation

Question

Please explain.

sandy.. amanda... Hmmm

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

sandy.. amanda... Hmmm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....................do you have the feeling of having your leg pulled too ??????????????

:bbg: :bbg: :D :drop:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you scroll back in this forum you will find a user called sandy AKA amanda AKA a few other names... if you scroll back even further, you will still see the same poster posting questions

Before judging what my post meant, be sure to read ALL of the posts, all of the (many) threads all the way through (not just the recent ones)

I am happy to offer you advice, but many on here are tierd of forensically going through products, in all of thier intracasies, over and over again

When I dispense a patient face to face, I am taking into account the patient as a whole person - what they used to wear, what they want to wear, their hobbies, occupation, prescription and other details like visions, and how thier eyes work together - lets call this for arguments sake - a hollistic approach

Consumers tend to come on the board and ask a question - what AR is better A/B? If we lept into tensile strengths, Mohs and trasmittance, we would probrably loose most consumers. then the same consumers ask us whats better lens A or B?. I judge a lens on about 20 criteria, and I assume most other professionals do too. then a few people pitch in an answer, and the consumer leaps back in with just one of the criteria we consider. that is a frustrating recipie for going round and round in circles

The difficulty of dispensing at a distance is: a holistic approach with a patient, requires careful matching of the lens. The weight we put on each variable, varies from person to person. Consumers do not want to absorb the fact that dispensing presbyopes is always a comprimise - there isnt an ultimate anything. The professionals judgement is to find you the best all round comprimise, not the ultimate lens

When I say - "go find a competent, trusted, qualified professional" that is because I know that in reality, that is the best advice I can give you. If you ask me a specific question about a lens - of course I can answer it, but many of us feel that the consumer has little comprehension of the relevance of the answer - within the context of all of the other variables that need to be considered at the same time - in the holistic sense

What you are paying for... when you buy a pair of spectacles, from a competent, trusted, qualified professional - is that professionals judgement, and fitting skills - the actual lens that professional chooses will be, in that professionals judgement the best comprimise for you

Lets consider 3 senarios

One practitioner recommends you old technology: soloution A for £200

The second sells you the most "advanced" lens on the price list for £400

The third sells you a mid-range lens for £300

What's the right answer for you? - potentially all of them, but now lets look at what really happens (one version of events) - the first practitioner recognises that you only need a simple soloution, and executes it perfectly, the second is a sales assistant that actually knows nothing about lenses, and sold you the most expensive lens on the price list, which incidentally has really poor optics for your prescription, and the third did what his company policy dictated (yep that happens)

There are as many versions of events as there are consumers and professionals / salespersons

That is precisly why I always recommend building a relationship with a competent qualified optician, and taking the advice from them. By all means ask them ot explain thier decisions, they will be the only one in the above scenario, that will be able to
    Last edited by QDO1; 01-28-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    if you scroll back in this forum you will find a user called sandy AKA amanda AKA a few other names... if you scroll back even further, you will still see the same poster posting questions

before judging what my post meant, be sure to read ALL of the posts, all of the (many) threads all the way through (not just the recent ones)

I am happy to offer you advice, but many on here are tierd of forensically going through products, in all of thier intracasies, over and over again

When I dispense a patient face to face, I am taking into account the patient as a whole person - what they used to wear, what they want to wear, their hobbies, occupation, prescription and other details like visions, and how thier eyes work together - lets call this for arguments sake - a hollistic approach

Consumers tend to come on the board and ask a question - what AR is better A/B If we lept into tensile strengths, Mohs and trasmittance, we would probrably loose most consumers. then the same consumers ask us whats better lens A or B. I judge a lens on about 20 criteria, and I assume most other professionals do too. then a few people pitch in an answer, and the consumer leaps back in with just one of the criteria we consider. that is a frustrating recipie for going round and round in circles

the difficulty of dispensing at a distance is: a holistic approach with a patient, requires careful matching of the lens. The weight we put on each variable, varies from person to person. Consumers do not want to absorb the fact that dispensing presbyopes is always a comprimise - there isnt an ultimate anything. The professionals judgement is to find you the best all round comprimise, not the ultimate lens

When I say - "go find a competent, trusted, qualified professional" that is because I know that in reality, that is the best advice I can give you. If you ask me a specific question about a lens - of course I can answer it, but many of us feel that the consumer has little comprehension of the relevance of the answer - within the context of all of the other variables that need to be considered at the same time - in the holistic sense

What you are paying for... when you buy a pair of spectacles, from a competent, trusted, qualified professional - is that professionals judgement, and fitting skills - the actual lens that professional chooses will be, in that professionals judgement the best comprimise for you

Lets consider 3 senarios

one practitioner recommends you old technology: soloution A for £200

the second sells you the most "advanced" lens on the price list for £400

the third sells you a mid-range lens for £300

what's the right answer for you? - potentially all of them, but now lets look at what really happens (one version of events) - the first practitioner recognises that you only need a simple soloution, and executes it perfectly, the second is a sales assistant that actually knows nothing about lenses, and sold you the most expensive lens on the price list, which incidentally has really poor optics for your prescription, and the third did what his company policy dictated (yep that happens)

there are as many versions of events as there are consumers and professionals / salespersons

that is precisly why I always recommend building a relationship with a competent qualified optician, and taking the advice from them. By all means ask them ot explain thier decisions, they will be the only one in the above scenario, that will be able to
    King, I bow down, I love you man.....I really really love you!

Ok Seriously, that was a well written message saying exactly what I was thinking.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ditto for me too. You said my words to the "T" and you said it the best it can possibly be said.

Occupation

Unhappy Sorry

Gotcha. :) Hey. I have all intentions of building a good relationship with a trusting optician in my local area. That's a given. Sorry that I got carried away with questions here. Didn't mean to annoy anyone. :o I'll try and not be so redundant with my inquiries.

Thanks for your time.

Lindsay

If you scroll back in this forum you will find a user called sandy AKA amanda AKA a few other names... if you scroll back even further, you will still see the same poster posting questions

Before judging what my post meant, be sure to read ALL of the posts, all of the (many) threads all the way through (not just the recent ones)

Consumers tend to come on the board and ask a question - what AR is better A/B? If we lept into tensile strengths, Mohs and trasmittance, we would probrably loose most consumers. then the same consumers ask us whats better lens A or B?. I judge a lens on about 20 criteria, and I assume most other professionals do too. then a few people pitch in an answer, and the consumer leaps back in with just one of the criteria we consider. that is a frustrating recipie for going round and round in circles

The difficulty of dispensing at a distance is: a holistic approach with a patient, requires careful matching of the lens. The weight we put on each variable, varies from person to person. Consumers do not want to absorb the fact that dispensing presbyopes is always a comprimise - there isnt an ultimate anything. The professionals judgement is to find you the best all round comprimise, not the ultimate lens

Lets consider 3 senarios

One practitioner recommends you old technology: soloution A for £200

The second sells you the most "advanced" lens on the price list for £400

The third sells you a mid-range lens for £300

What's the right answer for you? - potentially all of them, but now lets look at what really happens (one version of events) - the first practitioner recognises that you only need a simple soloution, and executes it perfectly, the second is a sales assistant that actually knows nothing about lenses, and sold you the most expensive lens on the price list, which incidentally has really poor optics for your prescription, and the third did what his company policy dictated (yep that happens)

There are as many versions of events as there are consumers and professionals / salespersons

That is precisly why I always recommend building a relationship with a competent qualified optician, and taking the advice from them. By all means ask them ot explain thier decisions, they will be the only one in the above scenario, that will be able to

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    if you took the time to read the posts I mentioned you will understand the feelings of some of the professionals here. unfortunatally we are possibly treating you, and a few others slightly less openly than we all used to... because we are keeping the events of the last months in our minds

Occupation

Arrow I understand more now.

Maybe I'll go back and try and find the posts you're talking about...although I certainly didn't come here anticipating that there were "events of the last months" that might hinder my own inquiries. I was just thrilled to discover this forum. I love to be able to research what I intend to buy. I also realize sometimes a little too much knowledge can be dangerous! :hammer: Just to let you know, though...I am a totally separate person than these people you named. They have their own agendas. Me, I'm just someone who tends to get obsessed at times...but, this is a good wake-up call! I'll definitely try to keep my questions to a minimum from now on.

Thanks!

Lindsay

if you took the time to read the posts I mentioned you will understand the feelings of some of the professionals here. unfortunatally we are possibly treating you, and a few others slightly less openly than we all used to... because we are keeping the events of the last months in our minds

Thread Information