Thread: ABO en Espanol???

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ABO en Espanol???

I was just thinking about the gradual rise in the Hispanic population. When will the ABO/NCLE start giving the exam in the Spanish language? It seems that it would certainly be marketable.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I may be wrong but it seems I read something about 5-6 years ago that you could take it in spanish but only at a very few locations.... but I have been known to just dream things up:p
    Paul:cheers:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hopefully never, If they want to live in the U.S. they need to speak and comprehend the language.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip, to some extent I agree with you. It is in their best interest in order get the most out of living in the USA. Many Spanish folks (my wife included) speak and understand English as well as optics, however reading and comprehension is quite different. Therefore I would like to see the ABO/NCLE given in English and Spanish.

I have worked for ignorant people in the past who forced my wife to speak English to Hispanic customers if the customer spoke any English at all. That is just unreasonable and bigoted. :angry: It is like forcing a left-handed power hitter to bat righty.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The ABO – American Board of Opticianry.

If you can’t speak and read and write in American how the heck are you supposed to function in a work environment that speaks American. It’s bad enough having to try to communicate with the average American these days much less someone who is speaking a strange languages.

We don't want to have any failures to communicate, now do we.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    " how the heck are you supposed to function in a work environment that speaks American." -rbaker:finger:

English is the adopted language of the US not American. There are many areas of the US where the main language is American; Central American, South American, etc... you get the point. I work in an area where you walk into a store and you are greeted "Buenos Dias".

My original thought was to have the ABO/NCLE in Spanish(the 2nd most common language in the US) to encourage more spanish speaking opticians to further their certification and professionalism and work in their communities where spanish is predominant.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Please don’t be dissin our bros in England by you be sayin English an American be the same. You get ma drift . . ma bro. Just ax anyone.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Please...I've watched a few guy ritchie films, and I can clearly see they certainly don't speak english over there.

AA

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ExCellentes: If it will make you feel any better I have a Mexican sister-in-law who speaks excellent English (redneck version) but her husband doesn't speak Spanish. All her friends/relatives come over and they speak Spanish only in his presence (although they can speak English). If I were he, I would have and English only sign over the front door (It's his house.).

I didn't say they couldn't speak Spanish in the work place, which would probably be better to Spanish speaking clients. But they should learn to speak and comprehend English. In fact it should be required for citizenship papers (and Yes, they should have papers of some kind to be a US resident.) I think any resident of the U.S. who wants to function in the US society should speak English, not necessarily English Only no matter what thier heritage.

If that makes me bigoted, so be it.

Chip

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ABO in languages other than English

I hope I never see the day that the ABO examination is administered in any language other than STANDARD AMERICAN ENGLISH. I have a problem with bi-lingual education, government documents in languages other than english etc. Our parents and grandparents on arrival in the USA learned English why can't the current new arrivals? I had students with less than 5 years in the USA take and pass the ABO on the first attempt and then proceed to pass the NY practical exam 5 months later.
    Do not expect concessions based on language...increase your skills in thelanguage of the locality. "When in Rome do as the Romans do". I would not expect to open an optical shop in Berlin Germany without being able to read write and speak German

Ed

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    After hearing my daughters experience in studying at the University of Madrid Spain and seeing the country and experiencing the culture...you must speak Spanish in Spain so what the blue blazes is wrong with requiring individuals who live in the US of A to speak the language. The Spainards were awful but the same occured when visiting France, Denmark, Germany and Portugal.

Gutten Tag! Wie Gehts! Danke. Sprechen see Deutsch? Verztehenze?
    I would like to revisit my ABO and NCLE in Deutsch as well as the Advance exams. American's do not realize that many around the world are fleunt in 3-5 languages. And we wonder why we are falling behind.

I am planning to travel overseas and I have begun to learn various languages as I do not wish to promote that I am an American. You also should learn to blend in with dress according to the State Department and travel in groups.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Let's be completely clear.#1)what language is american?...for what I know...America is a Continent...from Argentina to USA...and all the people who lives in this continent is AMERICAN....#2) English is not even native language of the United States of AMERICA...#3) American is not a LANGUAGE,it is a demonym that describes the people who lives here...do not be an ignorant...pople like you makes look bad the rest of the AMERICANS...I will encourage you to read and study before make a comment,because if that is the case,I can speak,read,and write in two different american languages,(Spanish and English)....Muy buenas tardes para usted caballero ignorante...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ah, you do realize this thread is nearly over 11 years old, right?

Thread Information