Thread: Anyone who had trouble with ABO

OptiBoard Novice

Anyone who had trouble with ABO

I have taken the ABO twice and failed both times.I have been working in the Optical industry for 4 years,and I feel like my failure was due mainly to lack of study time (I'm the mother of 2,a coach,volunteer,as well as working full time).My question is:has anyone else on the board had past troubles with this exam?I really need some advice on how to pass this time.I feel that I know the material,but I'm SO STRESSED!My family cannot afford to lose another $135,but I don't think I can afford NOT to at least TRY to pass it.I'm looking mainly for studying/memory/focus strategies that might help me.Thank you.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What part of the exam are you having difficulty with? Also, I see from another post that you work at lenscrafters. Ask your manager if you could work in the lab a bit...that will help with the prism, decentration, and other practical questions that floor associates may not be well versed in.

AA

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Inadequate Training......

is a problem throughout the optical industry. Opticians are "apprenticed" to an individual who is tasked with training them, but unfortunately if your trainer knows very little.....you get the picture. The stress can be greatly reduced if you feel you have been prepared, and in reality the NOCE (so-called ABO) is a basic, entry-level test. I would advise you to get some of the study materials available from NAO (www.nao.org), in particular Michael DiSanto's stuff. Also, the Career Progression Program is a great benefit. Another way to assure success next time is to find a good mentor in your area. Let me know through a personal email your exact location and I'll see if we can find someone to guide your progress.

Most important of all, do not give up.....we'll get you through. This is (believe it or not) a supportive community when it comes to things like this. We argue like hell, but you will find friends here who want you to succeed.

Best regards,
    Dr. Mac

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Amber, I'm in the Cincy area if your close let me know and I can help with some study material. Dr Mac is right, Mike D's stuff is great. I've used it for years with budding opticians and I have over 20 with state license and or ABOC. You can contact NAO.ORG or contact Mike here, he is a member of this board. Good luck and let me know if I can help.
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Amber ~

Does your store have the Michael DiSanto book TOPS ??

In my opinion, this is by far the best !!!

What sections are you having difficulty on ? (when you got your letter back, was there an area that you didn't do as well on?)

Also, you can get flash cards from central purchasing ~ I would always get them for our store ...
    Keep your chin up, :cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Hi Amber. I just got my results and I passed my ABO exam- barely! I got a 76 but hey, I passed right! Anyways, I can help you with what I know and especially with what was on the test. I went to a tech school for optical dispensary and it did help but I don't think that I had more of an advantage. I have study material that I got from school that really helped and at leat 10 of the questions on the last test was exactly word for word what I studied on my review. But the review alone would not have been enough for me to pass. It was my first time taking it but I totally credit my passing to constant studying.

Things to really study are scenario questions. For example: With an antimetropic bifocal patient(and know terms such as antimetropia) what type of problems can occur with the rx of: -2.00-1.50x180
    +1.00-2.00x180 ADD +2.00
    Now this question was one exactly on the ABO. I can either fax you questions I remember from memory.
    I would rather you can email me personally because I hate posting stuff about ABO because they say you can't do that. Or email you. I have a ton of other stuff and I'm willing to help because my coworker didn't pass and I'm helping her too. SO let me know. I would love to help. Now I have to take the NCLE!!! Yikes!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I would recommend that you memorize pretices rule, and evrything you can digest about prism. If I remember correctly their are alo tof questions related to prisms. Also, don't memorize equations and terms but learn what they mean. This is very important because you will retain what you understand better.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi,

Amber, I have read numerous posts about the ABO being to basic and too easy. However, some people have difficulty taking any type of written test no matter the level of difficulty. 2 common reasons are:

1. Nervousness; this can be hard to overcome but you must realize that it is not the end of the world take a deep breath and focus.

2. Reading too much into the question: When you read the question first try to understand what it is really asking. Is it asking you to calculate a number (prism amount, millimeters, etc...)? Carefully read the possible answers (on the ABO this can actually help you understand the question better.

I have seen people who really know their stuff fail the ABO due to nervousness and second guessing themselves.

TIP: It is critical to know the concepts of all the basic optical subjects. I have a friend who took the ABO for fun. He refused to make any calculations;ex; prism, slab off, decentration, etc... He just went through the test using the concepts and the multiple choice answers and he finished very quickly and scored very high.

Another thing to do is go through the test once and answer the easy questions that don't require much thought. Skip the other questions for later.
    Then go back to the more difficult ones and spend the required time to think those out. Sometimes one question will give you something to jog your memory and help you with a tougher question.

My wife failed the ABO and NCLE once each. She reads better in Spanish so the test for her was really hard. But persistance paid off. Don't give up!!!!:shiner:

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber
    I have taken the ABO twice and failed both times.I have been working in the Optical industry for 4 years,and I feel like my failure was due mainly to lack of study time (I'm the mother of 2,a coach,volunteer,as well as working full time).My question is:has anyone else on the board had past troubles with this exam?I really need some advice on how to pass this time.I feel that I know the material,but I'm SO STRESSED!My family cannot afford to lose another $135,but I don't think I can afford NOT to at least TRY to pass it.I'm looking mainly for studying/memory/focus strategies that might help me.Thank you.
    Oh boy do I know how you feel!! I have two children and a full time job and all the other fun time consuming stuff that goes along with it! If you really want to study see if you can get some study aids (the ones that everyone mentioned above) they may be a bit pricey but if this is your chosen career you will refer to them for a long time. Make cofee your best friend!!! Wake up early or stay up late. And do your best just to try and not stress about what you are or are not learning. The stress won't help! Try and find a way to apply what you read to your job every day. The more you apply what you have learned the more you will remember. Soon things just start making sense. When you come across something that stumps you just pop in here and ask! Good luck next time;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Knows their stuff?

Anyone who cannot pass the ABO doesn not "know their stuff". It is designed as a simple, entry level examination. Nervousness may affect them, but should not cause them to fail this test. Preperation is inadequate if that happens.
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 01-20-2006 at 09:28 AM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ABO prep

A few years ago I ran an ABO prep course....not teaching to the test a 36 hour basic opticianary prep tpo people with some optical experience, Of the 12 that took the exam 12 passed the exam with a range of scores from 71-92. I cant complain about that. If we spent more time on it the scores would have been a bit higher
    I assure you the ABO is an entry level exam with a little study and preparation most people can pass it on the first go around.........besides taking the exam once is cheaper than retaking it til you pass

Ed

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Its a job......

Today, most who enter the field perceive it differently. It is a job, not a professional endeavor. We must make the entry more rigorous if we are ever to succeed. Or, we may want to consider different levels like some others, say Nurses, have done. The Professional Nurse (BSN Degree- usually required for management roles or moer advance clinical roles), the Technical Nurse (AAS Degree- still and RN), or Practical Nurses (1-year programs with limited scope). Or the British system. They have Dispensing Opticians and Ophthalmic Opticians. OOs are LIKE our Optometrists, but require a 3-4-year program of study at the university. Some of our ODs say the training is less than theirs, the Brits may disagree. Dispensing Opticians have a 2-year program and can be done via distance learning. Opticians in the US can and should do more. By looking at other professions we may be able to satisfy those who wish to remain status quo, and those who wish to advance. Comments?

Thread Information