Thread: High Altitude Glasses?!

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave High Altitude Glasses?!

OK, you whizz kids high up in Colorado or wherever, I just had someone on the phone who complains that her glasses fall apart because she works at 10,00' on top of Haleakala volcano (there are several scientific research labs and deep space tracking places up there). Her theory is that the altitude makes the screws etc pop! I have never met her, but she said she will be coming in to get something not affected by altitude.

My husband used to work up there too, and never had any "altitude" problems with his glasses. So, for real? Or just a little moonstruck?? Suggestions?:)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Locktite!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Thorazine

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    Thorazine
    ;) I think you hit the screw on the head!!

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

The question has been answered by Dick

I can not imaging any reason that altitude would effect anyones glasses. Think of the number of people affected by 10,000' altitude ---- EVERYONE who flies on a commercial airplane for starters. Since the presurized cabin of most commercial aircraft are designed to maintain a pressure equal to that at approx. 10,000 feet.

Above 10,000 feet in a private plane that is not pressurized oxygen is a requirement.

Conclusion, If altitude was an issue with glasses then everyone who flies would need altitude glasses.

Hummm maybe I should make special altitude lenses. I could patent this special lens, based on? Well maybe I could not patent it but I could makeup some good marketing materials that would help sell it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynne
    OK, you whizz kids high up in Colorado or wherever, I just had someone on the phone who complains that her glasses fall apart because she works at 10,00' on top of Haleakala volcano (there are several scientific research labs and deep space tracking places up there). Her theory is that the altitude makes the screws etc pop! I have never met her, but she said she will be coming in to get something not affected by altitude.

My husband used to work up there too, and never had any "altitude" problems with his glasses. So, for real? Or just a little moonstruck?? Suggestions?:)
    Gee...at high altitudes, would Featherwate lenses be lighter than air? In which case they might be worth the money. LOL

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Silhouette's Miniamal Art was chosen by Nasa because it has no screws or hinges, no moving parts. It also is extremely light wheight and durable. In my opinion this frame may be the best frame ever made. Perfect for almost every situation.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    OK all you guys missed it. I've been to the top of Haleakela (it is absolutely gorgeous), but it's not the altitude. It's the TEMPERATURE. You leave sea level on Maui, about 85 degrees, and you end up above the clouds, well below freezing, a few minutes later. Lenses that were fairly snug now shrink up like certain anatomical parts do when subjected to that icy cold, and drop out of the frame.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by William Stacy O.D.
    OK all you guys missed it. I've been to the top of Haleakela (it is absolutely gorgeous), but it's not the altitude. It's the TEMPERATURE. You leave sea level on Maui, about 85 degrees, and you end up above the clouds, well below freezing, a few minutes later. Lenses that were fairly snug now shrink up like certain anatomical parts do when subjected to that icy cold, and drop out of the frame.

The lenses won't fall out of a Silhouette!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by High_Abbe
    Silhouette's Miniamal Art was chosen by Nasa because it has no screws or hinges, no moving parts. It also is extremely light wheight and durable. In my opinion this frame may be the best frame ever made. Perfect for almost every situation.
    i agree - you might have to go with the plastics version of the frame, as metal frames are a little uncomfy at the lower temparatures. The alternative, is some properly glazed lenses in something like a bolle ski spex (not the mask, the nylon full frame) - perhaps get these glazed as a close fitting sunspex? which would be a very useful product. It might be worth remembering the exposure to UV is high up there, and everything is handled with gloves on, which meand they get pushed arround a little more than normal

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Big Smile High altitude glasses.......................

Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH
    Hummm maybe I should make special altitude lenses. I could patent this special lens, based on? Well maybe I could not patent it but I could makeup some good marketing materials that would help sell it.
    When climbing mountains in high altitude.............you need good UV protection and while doing glaciers sideshields are recommended. New project AW

Occupation
    AWTECH said:

“Above 10,000 feet in a private plane that is not pressurized oxygen is a requirement.”

The FAA says:

The requirements for the use of oxygen are spelled out in FAR 91.211 (Federal Air Regulation.) This regulation could be complicated, depending on the particular aircraft.

But, for anyone operating an unpressurized aircraft that does not carry supplemental oxygen, which constitutes the majority of the general aviation fleet, the rule is relatively simple. The key altitude is 12,500 feet mean sea level (msl). There is no regulatory requirement for supplemental oxygen at or below that key altitude (though there could be good physiological reasons why a pilot would want to use oxygen below that altitude).

The regulation contains some leeway, just in case we need a little time above that key altitude to get over some weather, for example, or to maintain VFR cloud clearance. It provides that an aircraft may be operated above 12,500 feet msl for up to 30 minutes, free of any supplemental-oxygen requirement. However, that is a very limited exception, and any more than 30 minutes' flight above that key altitude triggers the requirement for supplemental.

William Stacy said:

“OK all you guys missed it. I've been to the top of Haleakela (it is absolutely gorgeous), but it's not the altitude. It's the TEMPERATURE.

I have over 7500 hours of civilian and military flight time, a lot of it at very high altitude in non pressurized aircraft and have never had a problem with eyewear (metal frames or zyle frames.) On some military flights it was not uncommon to transition from sea level to 40,000 ft and back to sea level in just a few minutes (yeee – Haaa) and, no problems other than lens fogging.

So, from my point of view, there is a loose wing nut aboard.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It could be something as simple as the patient needs to come in on a regular basis and have the screws tightened (I recommend them coming in about every 3 months ... I compare it to an oil change in my car, you know, something you're supposed to do on a regular basis). Perhaps the patient is having the screws come out because she takes them on/off a lot and it's loosening the screws ... and then it just HAPPENS that the lens falls out when she's at the higher altitude ??

just rambling with only one cup of coffee in me so far.

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by GOS_Queen
    It could be something as simple as the patient needs to come in on a regular basis and have the screws tightened (I recommend them coming in about every 3 months ... I compare it to an oil change in my car, you know, something you're supposed to do on a regular basis). Perhaps the patient is having the screws come out because she takes them on/off a lot and it's loosening the screws ... and then it just HAPPENS that the lens falls out when she's at the higher altitude ??

just rambling with only one cup of coffee in me so far.
    This lady just called me out of the blue, to find out if we have better quality frames that won't fall apart at high altitude, I don't even have a name for her, but she rambled on and on about her previous glasses, purchased elsewhere, that cost over $400 and how they were useless at that altitude, and they should perform better etc. As I said, I know plenty of folks that work up there, with no problems, so I think maybe the problem is above her eyebrows, or that she doesn't perform scheduled maintenance on the screws!! Hopefully she will find a pair that she likes elsewhere, before trying us!! Otherwise I foresee a lot of demands in my future!! But, I was wondering if you guys had any input, and I thank you for all the above!!:)

OptiBoard Professional sharon m./ aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    She's probably just messing with you. I once had a guy call and ask if I would take a contact lens out of his dogs eye.
    sharon

Thread Information